Sram XX Crank and Chain Bolt question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Sram XX Crank and Chain Bolt question

I recently purchase sone xx cranks (GXP - 156Q).

They came with normal hex/allen key bolts rather than the torx ones I have seen on the net and other bikes.

At first I thought they were a fake but a bike at my lbs also had these. Is it a diference between diff BB versions as the GXP ones are the only ones for example where the BB spindle attaches to right chain arms?

Why do some versions have the torx ones and are these available after market as I'm headed down an XX group path and it would be easire to carry one tool.

Also, any recommendations on bb's?

I'm deciding between the XX ceramic one and a Chris King one.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the hex head bolts come on some OEM parts. the aftermarket cranksets should have torx bolts. you can buy the torx head bolts as a replacement part if you really want them. the ceramic gxp bottom bracket is excellent, made better with the new gutter seals. i have not used the king bb though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by korgi111
    I recently purchase sone xx cranks (GXP - 156Q).

They came with normal hex/allen key bolts rather than the torx ones I have seen on the net and other bikes.

At first I thought they were a fake but a bike at my lbs also had these. Is it a diference between diff BB versions as the GXP ones are the only ones for example where the BB spindle attaches to right chain arms?

Why do some versions have the torx ones and are these available after market as I'm headed down an XX group path and it would be easire to carry one tool.

Also, any recommendations on bb's?

I'm deciding between the XX ceramic one and a Chris King one.

Cheers

G'day Korgi,

I'm using Chris King bottom brackets with my XX groups. Used the GXP BB for a while but switched as I like to have the option of purging the bearings after a wet/muddy ride. I think aspire velotech were doing package deals if you want the Chris King BB and bearing greasing tool. Followed the suggests that came with the Chris King BB regarding spacers etc and the BB works a dream with the XX cranks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Bobsouth

Great minds think alike. Received a package containing 1 Chris King BB amd 1 Chris King headset from Aspire velotech yesterday. Lookinf forward to getting it all fitted.

Cheers
    Korgi (also from Melbourne)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by korgi111
    Bobsouth

Great minds think alike. Received a package containing 1 Chris King BB amd 1 Chris King headset from Aspire velotech yesterday. Lookinf forward to getting it all fitted.

Cheers
    Korgi (also from Melbourne)

Ahhhh, a fellow Melbournite,

What frame you putting your XX gear on?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I bought a Yeti ASR (closeout) from Jenson USA for a good price.

shown here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=628502

Building it up as funds and time allow.

I only have a Rockshox SID team, Thomson seatpost, XX cranks and Hope hubs at the moment.

Will probably be a partial XX groupset with XO 10 speed cassette (expect it to be much cheaper) when it comes out to save cost and haven't decided on brakes etc yet.

I have a 7 week old son so my riding time has been curtailed and the plan is a slow build to be ready for the Melbourne summer!

Jacob 34:19
    A quick warning about the chainring bolts!

I bought a set of the XX cranks a few weeks ago. They came in a factory box with the hex bolts, aluminum I think. I didn't think to check the torque on them as the crankset was factory built. Grinding up a hill today, my chain suddenly came off. I thought that was odd and looked down to find my 26T ring dangling by one bolt. I haven't pulled the cranks yet to see how much damage has been done but these cranks have less than 50 miles on them. When you install your cranks, be sure to double check the torque on the chainring bolts. Mine clearly came from the factory way too loose.

I'm hoping the threads on my cranks are in good enough shape to re-install the 26T but I will of course need to buy some new bolts. Anybody know where I can find some Ti aftermarket bolts? I'm thinking some Ti bolds with blue loctite should keep this from happening again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEtheDOG
    A quick warning about the chainring bolts!

I bought a set of the XX cranks a few weeks ago. They came in a factory box with the hex bolts, aluminum I think. I didn't think to check the torque on them as the crankset was factory built. Grinding up a hill today, my chain suddenly came off. I thought that was odd and looked down to find my 26T ring dangling by one bolt. I haven't pulled the cranks yet to see how much damage has been done but these cranks have less than 50 miles on them. When you install your cranks, be sure to double check the torque on the chainring bolts. Mine clearly came from the factory way too loose.

I'm hoping the threads on my cranks are in good enough shape to re-install the 26T but I will of course need to buy some new bolts. Anybody know where I can find some Ti aftermarket bolts? I'm thinking some Ti bolds with blue loctite should keep this from happening again.

I had the same problem with the proprietary outer chainring bolts. Eventually got some replacement ones from the SRAM distributor here in Australia. During my wait for the replacements (!!), I tried to find an alternative source. Rotor make rings to fit XX, but in communications with rotor I was told I needed to supply my own chainring bolts- when I asked if the these needed to be the same proprietary bolts that the XX rings use, the communication with rotor ceased. Not sure where XX users stand with rotor rings and which bolt type is required although I can't imagine that rotor would thread their chainrings. I thought FRM might make a bolt to fit, but alas I could not find info on thier site to suggest this. If you do have some luck in finding an aftermarket XX bolt set could post up here please...

I think the XX group is great (I'm running two of them) but silly proprietary parts such as these are just illogical (although I guess it ensures [somewhat] market exclusivity for SRAM).

Cheers

Jacob 34:19
    Thanks for the insight Bob. I'll post back if I have any luck finding some.

Members who have read this thread: 0