SRAM XX chainring- 26 th with a 42 th- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

SRAM XX chainring- 26 th with a 42 th

Is it possible to use a 26th chainring with a 42th chainring on a SRAM XX crank?

Thanks

CHOP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich24
    Is it possible to use a 26th chainring with a 42th chainring on a SRAM XX crank?

Thanks
    A 26/42t configuration would compromise your shifting and you'd lose one of the main benefits of XX.

The rings are engineered and timed to work together (26/39 or 28/42).

Yes, it would physically work... but you would no longer have the awesome XX shift performance.

There's some more info on the chainring timing here:
    http://sram2x10.com/?cat=63
    It's not where it's made but how it's made.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I honestly think it would still work just fine though.

I'd really like to run a 28/39 combo and will likely try it out in the near future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Has anyone tried this, that can report on the performance?

With an uphill TT and a fat tire crit on the same day fast approaching, I'm wondering whether the 42t & 26t combo works. I'll need the low gear in the morning and the big gear in the afternoon.

The SRAM guy
    Do not use XX or any SRAM 2x10 chainrings in these combinations!
    You will risk damaging the chain, chainrings or worse. XX (X-Glide) shifting works the way it does partially because of the very specific timing between 26-39 and 28-42 rings. Changing the rings will change that timing. It may work once, maybe 10 times. But it will cause problems.
    Chris Hilton

gone for a bike ride
    thought an XX FD was only capable of maximum 15t shifts? - 42/26 is a 16t shift

...still might work though with a tweak

these chainrings have a good reputation & shop is great too (i've no association to either) - but you might destroy your entire drivetrain on the 11th shift

XX fit 26t: http://www.starbike.com/php/product_...g=en&pid=14663
    XX fit 42t: http://www.starbike.com/php/product_...g=en&pid=14668

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried a 28/39T combo?

Culturesponge thanks for those links, look like they also have a 28T and 30T exactly what i'm looking to try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Blackspire Components

Here's another resource for ya.

www.blackspire.com

Great staff, knowledgeable and quick response time.

Just ride!
    Has anyone tried the 28-39 combo??

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I can tell you from experience these 2 X 10 systems can be finicky. If you mess with the timing it can cause major (expensive) problems.

Just ride!
    Chopper, can u tell us about the problems you have experienced?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    [ATTACH]SRAM XX chainring- 26 th with a 42 th-crank-002-640x480-.jpg[/ATTACH]
    I didn't actually break anything, but you can see from these photos that if you do not notice what is happening quickly enough really bad things can happen.

This seems to be an FSA problem in my case, but apparently it is at least partially a timing problem due to the 39 X 27 chainring combination. This Crank was replaced with a Sram XX 39 X 26 and it worked flawlessly. I am just saying this is not something to fool around with as apparently 2 X 10 can be quite sensitive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SRAM XX chainring- 26 th with a 42 th-crank-001-640x480-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I should add the these problems are probably worse on a 29er. 26er's are more forgiving according to FSA.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I woiuld love to know if it would work ....XX in the 39 / 28 combo ...I know it's not designed to but will it ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    just tried it ..... shifts nice on the stand hoping to take it to the trail tomorrow ...but supposed to be a high of 25 degrees ....well i know i can suffer that for an hour ...i'll let you know ...i expect it will work .

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just rode 15 miles on the 39 28 combo ....no issues ...WORKS .
    I'll let you know if it let's me down but I don't see it ... I know there is probably ratio overlap
    but the shifting big to small chainring is working ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I dont understand the need for a 28/39 or a 26/42... Why not keep it simple and just keep the stock 26/39 and just run a cog or two down in the rear? Am I missing something? 26/42 makes even less sence if your not strong enough to climb with the stock 28/42 in the front with a 36/11 in the back I dont see you ever spinning out a 26/39 crank with a 36/11 in the rear. Call me silly but I am sure they did lots of testing with ratios and these were probably the best options.

Chris

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here's the problem: I have 28-42 combo, but the 28t chainring is causing a lot of chainsuck and needs to be replaced. However, none is available in my local bike shops and they are even not able to order it (small town). They do have 26t option though. What's better (less bad) : trying new 26t chainring + 42t or old 28t with proven chainsuck record? This would be for one-two weeks until I get the correct one from online shop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you replace the ring but not the chain it won't fix your chainsuck problem.

You need to replace the chainrings, chain, and possibly cassette. Or just suck it up and buy XX1

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    chain and cassette were just replaced.

Members who have read this thread: 0