Sram XX 2x10 who's get'in it?- Mtbr.com
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. Sram XX 2x10 who's get'in it?

So any takers?
    Disscussions?
    Good?
    Bad?
    Broke, can't afford it?
    Thinking of selling the wife on E-bay to get it?... LOL

MattSavage
    Ritchey had ultra light 2x9 and 2x10 years ago... I bet people are really going to jump on that now, now that Sram has it...

Personally, I like the Revelation XX, but that's all about I'm into for the groupo.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Personally, I do not see the advantage (no real weight savings) maybe more usable gears, but the high low end is compromised (vs 3x9 compact), and who wants to run a 36 rear cog and super long cage derailleur and risk snagging it on rocks. This seems like a race only application and not really practical for X/C or any other applications?
    Last edited by buggymancan; 06-06-2009 at 09:23 AM.

May 2008
    I like the chainring design with the extra pickup points. Hopefully SRAM pushes it down into their cheaper lines soon.

"Its All Good"
    Does anyone actually know when it is going to be available?

Cant seem to find any answers on this.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Several German sites are listing availability as of September ..

mtbr member
    For me I think, negatives:
    -Strange chainring bolt design
    -huge cassette in soft alum
    -extra large RD prone to snagging
    -Not sold on the ten speed thing, eleven has just been introduced on the road too, its all coffee shop stuff really

positives
    -you look good at the coffee shop

Freedom Isn't Free
    Willl consider the brakes. No gripshift makes it a no-go to start for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    For me, the biggest advantage is a q-factor that is much closer to road bikes; however I still don't know which frames support the narrower crankset.

mtbr member
    I am seeing a lot of hardcore XC'ers going for it. Don't expect it out before the September Eurobike show.

CuŠnto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Hol
    Ditto dat............

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    Ditto dat............

ditto plus...

I believe I will save up for the brakes though when I want a real lightweight brake set.

I like the idea of cranks/rings and they seem that they'd work great but 24/36 2x9 works fine for me...even for sport racing so a 26 or 27 small ring would be a bit much for me.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Apr 2009
    Hat tip to bikerboyj17 - Cambria appears to be selling the line http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=526171

Gotta love that $325.00 cassette

mtbr member
    I'll be getting it, XX rear mech, Triggers, brakes, Carbon XX sid, cassette

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    Ritchey had ultra light 2x9 and 2x10 years ago... I bet people are really going to jump on that now, now that Sram has it...

Personally, I like the Revelation XX, but that's all about I'm into for the groupo.
    I guess one could still duplicate the 2x10 today, sans Sram XX

Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    I'll be getting it, XX rear mech, Triggers, brakes, Carbon XX sid, cassette
    When you do please post pics, but leave out the background Porsche and trophy wife... Well, ok, including the trophy wife wouldn't be so bad.

mtbr member
    I'll lean the bike agaisnt the Bugatti Veyron

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan
    Personally, I do not see the advantage (no real weight savings) maybe more usable gears, but the high low end is compromised (vs 3x9 compact), and who wants to run a 36 rear cog and super long cage derailleur and risk snagging it on rocks. This seems like a race only application and not really practical for X/C or any other applications?
    Why would you need a longer cage derailuer? Being as it is a double in the front, you will probably be able to get away with a shorter cage.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    I like the idea of having the 36 on the cassette. I'm running a 20/30 front ring combo (which are not easy to find) on my 29er now with an 11-34. I'm hoping to just use the cassette and a standard 22/32 crankset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Hol
    The current X.0 Twisters can be modded to have another click, therefore making in a 10 speed. Its what the team mechanics are doing to the pro's bikes, thats why a lot of racers are still able to run X.0 twisters.

Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    The current X.0 Twisters can be modded to have another click, therefore making in a 10 speed. Its what the team mechanics are doing to the pro's bikes, thats why a lot of racers are still able to run X.0 twisters.
    Please explain. This sounds very cool...

LA CH»VRE
    Not 100% sure about that, each cogs on the XX cassette are closer to each other compared to 9 speed cassettes, adding another notch on the 9sp Grip Shift wont pull the correct cable ratio to align the derailleur correctly with each cog... No?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Currently running a Rotor setup with 27/40 on a 12-34 cassette. In a race situation it's about perfect. The XX 36tooth rear gear makes me want to get another 29er. Our local shimano rep says the new 2x10 shimano should be out by eurobike. I'd like to see that system before jumping on the SRAM bandwagon.

LA CH»VRE
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud
    Currently running a Rotor setup with 27/40 on a 12-34 cassette. In a race situation it's about perfect. The XX 36tooth rear gear makes me want to get another 29er. Our local shimano rep says the new 2x10 shimano should be out by eurobike. I'd like to see that system before jumping on the SRAM bandwagon.
    Yeah I'm waiting too, my current setup works very well for now anyway, 29/42 x 11-34...

Freedom Isn't Free

How?

Interested in this possibility...

I have run 2x9 w/my X.0s. I hear the pull ratio for the XX FD is "new." I wonder if that will affect how it might work w/current X.0 gripshift?

Also, not sure I can make the new crank options work w/my weak legs and the many hills I have to climb (even w/an 11-36 cassette).

Freedom Isn't Free

Anyone actually ordered from them yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rieux
    Hat tip to bikerboyj17 - Cambria appears to be selling the line http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=526171

Gotta love that $325.00 cassette
    Wonder if this is a pre-order thing? Doesn't appear to be on the site...

LCW
    mtbr member
    I will seriously consider it... I rarely if ever use my 44t big ring, and having the 11-36 cassette with 26/39 front ring setup would give me all the ratios I need. My current setup is 22/32/44 front with 11-34 rear, but like I said I never use the 44 ring, and rarely if ever use the 22/34 combination. 22/30 f/r combo is close to the 26/36... so losing only the very lowest ratio on the low end, and on the high end I wouldn't be missing anything anyways... It all depends on where you ride and how much gear your legs can power... for me, the 26/39 and 11-36 setup would seem to work out, at least on paper... only real way to know would be to ride that setup on my usual trails...

Do it all or nothing
    I think hammersmidcth was a bigger break through... but only time will tell.
    If it ain't broken... why the hell you fixin it!

KONA rules!!

If you miss the tranny... don't look down.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by headstrong356
    I think hammersmidcth was a bigger break through... but only time will tell.
    problem with Hammershcmidt is that you need ISCG tabs... otherwise no go... and right now, only the burliest AM bikes and DHer's have ISCG tabs... so hammerschmidt does nothing for the XC/Trail world... which is a shame... I tried HS and it's definitely awesome... so slick and smooth!!

mtbr member
    Seems like this X group is extremely expensive, while the performance grains are not that great, only a elite race application

Still, its not as bad is Shimano Yumeya, god the most overpriced crap to come out for mtb's

Singletrack Slayer
    I agree. I have new 09 Xo and love it. Will wait a year or so and see what happens. No need to rush into it, Cool idea, love the 2 ring set up as I believe it is all you need up front. Like to see more on hammerschmidt, like it a ton.

CuŠnto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles
    I agree. I have new 09 Xo and love it. Will wait a year or so and see what happens. No need to rush into it, Cool idea, love the 2 ring set up as I believe it is all you need up front. Like to see more on hammerschmidt, like it a ton.
    Remember the big stink when 9sd can to being..

"What do we need 9 gears for, I'll never get it"...

Yeah, right
    ~Jake...........

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck
    problem with Hammershcmidt is that you need ISCG tabs... otherwise no go... and right now, only the burliest AM bikes and DHer's have ISCG tabs... so hammerschmidt does nothing for the XC/Trail world... which is a shame... I tried HS and it's definitely awesome... so slick and smooth!!
    Just wait for the ISCG adapter tab that someone will fabricate for XC type bikes. I'm sure someone already has one in the works

mtbr member
    I went through all the pricing of it today in the shop (im in Australia so everything is always alot more than the US)......an XTR 9 speed cassette was always expensive at $300.....the XX cassette will retail here down under for a mind blowing $600!

It really makes me laugh when you think that its made out of Alum, god knows what the life of it will be, I hope for that price its some super dooper new Aluminum thats resistant to wear

LA CH»VRE
    It's not aluminum, it's cromoly steel, only the replacable biggest and smallest cogs are aluminum... And often, the smallest and biggest cogs are the ones that are used the least, for me anyway, so I think the cassette should have durability... Now for the price, it's another story but like it was stated, MSRP are very high but they will probably drop quickly once the parts are everywhere.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i ll think about it but im more temped to get the coloured X.0 stuff to match my bike
    im happy with the current 3x9 setup and i do use all 3 rings at the front, esp on some techinical climb bits

im not interested @brakes and suspension as i love the feeling of hope brakes(esp wif new tech lever) and i have a specialized future fork and shock

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I am going to put out my own 1 x 25 drivetrain with a 11-40 cassette. It will have paper thin cogs, a 1/16" wide chain, and a hub flange spacing of about 1". I will charge $400 for the cassette, $350 for the shifter, $50 for the chain, $400 for the hub, and $600 for the rear derailleur.

People will be talking about it/ drooling over it for months before it comes out, and I will sell many.

Oh, I'll make an electronic version, too. People will pay another $700 for that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck

Check out schlumpf, been around longer and no need for ISCG tabs
    http://www.schlumpf.ch/schlumpf_engl.htm

Sorry for the hi-jack....

mtbr member
    We have a few sets coming for our shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Not 100% sure about that, each cogs on the XX cassette are closer to each other compared to 9 speed cassettes, adding another notch on the 9sp Grip Shift wont pull the correct cable ratio to align the derailleur correctly with each cog... No?
    Thats what I originally thought too, but someone on the weight weenies forum said that it does work. But what really made me a believer was while at work one day last week a customer broke an X.0 twister by the barrel adjuster, so it was still functioning. After our mechanics replaced it, I took the broken one and opened it up following Sram's instructions on how to replace the grip, and sure enough, there are 10 clicks on the inside of the twister. Now I didnt try to cut the spring and see if it works, but hypothetically it should because you will not be changing the 1:1 pull ratio because that has to do with the spacing of the notches in the twister.

LA CH»VRE
    We have a few sets coming for our shop.

Thats what I originally thought too, but someone on the weight weenies forum said that it does work. But what really made me a believer was while at work one day last week a customer broke an X.0 twister by the barrel adjuster, so it was still functioning. After our mechanics replaced it, I took the broken one and opened it up following Sram's instructions on how to replace the grip, and sure enough, there are 10 clicks on the inside of the twister. Now I didnt try to cut the spring and see if it works, but hypothetically it should because you will not be changing the 1:1 pull ratio because that has to do with the spacing of the notches in the twister.
    Interesting... But then again, the XX triggers are almost as light as X.0 Grip Shifts, I may try the triggers if I eventually go XX.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Interesting... But then again, the XX triggers are almost as light as X.0 Grip Shifts, I may try the triggers if I eventually go XX.
    Exactly, but its just another option for those like me who prefer the twisters. The only problem is the margin for failure, I would think that you have to cut the spring in the perfect place or the shifter will be unusable. I think thats why some of the pro's were on the 07 fake carbon looking twisters, they are older and no one cared if they got messed up.

If you screw up your shifter, then its $40-$50 to replace it.

mtbr member
    I stand corrected.

After a little research, I have proved myself wrong. It is impossible to run a tuned X.0 twist shifter with the upcoming XX Group. Sorry if I put any incorrect ideas into your guys minds. The reason: X.0, as we know, uses 1:1 Actuation ratio. The new XX uses something called Exact actuation (something like that) which are not cross compatible. Dan, you were correct for being skeptical.

Like I said, I'm sorry if I confused anyone with the idea of tuning a X.0 Shifter. Its always good to do research after you read something on the internet, even though it seemed credible (BlackBox Team guy [claimed]). So in other words, disregard anything in my previous posts.

mtbr member
    XX has 1.3:1 auction ratio vs 1:1 for X.0

mtbr member
    Sopposedly, the XX is compatible with SRAM's road group. I keep envisioning a nice light touring 2x10... Or maybe more racers will embrace the Tomes/Yeti drop-bar look. Dust off that Nitto helmet!

"Just wait for the ISCG adapter tab that someone will fabricate for XC type bikes. I'm sure someone already has one in the works"

Hammerschmidt takes up a lot of space and won't fit many bikes without a redesign. Imagine running the middle ring near the granny position and you'll start to see why. Hammer's back plate assembly is big and bulky. Maybe that'll change.

gone for a bike ride
    not without XX gripshifters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If I can find the cash for it I'll run it for sure!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

1x10 anyone?

i'm not necessarily a 1x9 guy but i've thought about it because i like the simplicity. the only hold up is that i don't quite have the bottom end for those "just-in-case" moments. but 1x10 might be kinda cool since the cassette gives you a little extra bottom end. any body else think about this?? it'd be expensive i know but so is biking in general.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    an 11-36 9sp cassette would be sweet, bigger gear jumps are fine with me. then my 33t front ring wouldn't feel so big.

a HS with a 26t front ring would be nice too.

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver85
    i'm not necessarily a 1x9 guy but i've thought about it because i like the simplicity. the only hold up is that i don't quite have the bottom end for those "just-in-case" moments. but 1x10 might be kinda cool since the cassette gives you a little extra bottom end. any body else think about this?? it'd be expensive i know but so is biking in general.
    I am running a 1x9 on my rockhopper because I despise front deraillers, and I agree, a 36T cog would be much appreciated. the xx group is too expensive for me to justify though.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    funny that I see alot of post here and elsewhere that SRAM FOLKS are *****in' about no grip shift....me being a SHIMANO guy(XTR) have no problem w/that except that there are no trigger shift levers....the priorities very distinct from one group to the other...just an observation

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What about running a Hammerschmidt with the XX 10spd cassette?

My thought was a Niner WFO with the Hammerschmidt 22/36 with the XX 11/36.

Members who have read this thread: 0