Sram X9 2010 pulley wheel design- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Sram X9 2010 pulley wheel design

I snapped two teeth off the upper pulley wheel of my 2010 Sram X9 rear derailleur while riding at a mtb festival this weekend. The new 2010 design has cutouts in the pulley wheels which blocked up with mud very quickly.
    In my opinion this is a design FLAW as the cutouts make the pulley wheel weaker, and obviously get blocked up with mud.
    Previous generations of X9's had solid pulley wheels, fortunately I still have some old solid ones lying around from derailleurs that were "destroyed" (sticks, crashes etc)
    I will replace the new pulley wheels with old solid ones...
    Last edited by goatman; 05-03-2010 at 01:07 AM.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the 2010 upper pulley wheels are different than the older solid ones. The older ones are offset mounting, while the newer ones are on center.

The good news is you have many choices of pulley wheels now. Just pick one that says it will work with shimano or x.0 (the vast majority are) and you will be set.

(if this was just a rant, then ignore my suggestion. the cut outs were probably to make the wheels lighter. Every gram counts on the marketing side on these higher end parts)
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

Members who have read this thread: 0