Sram X1 Cassette, broken splines, can't remove cassette- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sram X1 Cassette, broken splines, can't remove cassette

My Sram X1 cassette was making a lot of noise and even though it still shifted well, no amount of lube or a new chain would stop it from grinding away. So at about 1000 - 1500 miles, it was time for a new cassette. Which seems like a really short life span, even with chain replacements

Well, it didn't go to smooth when all the splines snapped at once and now the cassette is permanently attached to the driver. Luckily with the help of Onyx racing, I was able to get the driver off and replace it with a Shimano.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducman View Post
    My Sram X1 cassette was making a lot of noise and even though it still shifted well, no amount of lube or a new chain would stop it from grinding away. So at about 1000 - 1500 miles, it was time for a new cassette. Which seems like a really short life span, even with chain replacements

Well, it didn't go to smooth when all the splines snapped at once and now the cassette is permanently attached to the driver. Luckily with the help of Onyx racing, I was able to get the driver off and replace it with a Shimano.

Sucks, did you use the proper depth splined removal tool? Its very easy to do this with a 10yr old park tool. It sucks, they should have made a different tool/format of spline since the form factor changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I used the park FR-5 since it is what they list on their site as the correct tool. I had the cassette off a few times thinking the noise was coming from the cassette driver interface. It there a different to I should have been using?

Oops phone had me logged into the wrong account

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes and no. The fr-5 changed over the years. I just looked at both of mine, the newer one has the depth needed to accommodate the deeper spline depth of the sram. I smoked a cassette this way as well, it royally sucked. Park should NOT have made a new tool with the same model number. Call it "FR-anything but 5" cuz its not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk