Sram X0 rear derailleur with XX shifters, chain & cogset??- Mtbr.com
    bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Sram X0 rear derailleur with XX shifters, chain & cogset??

I'd like to switch to 2X10 but have a perfectly good X0 rear derailleur that I'd like to use if possible.

Might be a dumb questions but is the XX group built with the same 1:1 shift ratio as the rest of their mtb line?
    Tallboy3c : Stigmata2 : Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    No it is not 1:1, it's exact accuation - same as the road group.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've seen it set up this way on Steve Peat's DH bike

It looks like the cable guide on the X.O. derailleur is custom to change the pull ratio.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Very interesting, thanks. I'm not sure that I want to mess with my derailleur to make that happen but maybe I can get a cheap X7 to work with?

Gotta love the Redwin X0!

The SRAM guy
    Peat's 10 speed DH bike used a modified X0 RD with a 10 speed fin and 10 speed shifter. Look at the "fin" where cable passes around the back of the RD. The fin makes it compatible with Exact Actuation.
    Chris Hilton

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

I disagree...

I disagree here although I don't know what's going on w/ Peats bike since I don't know what shifters are on there. Exact actuation is indeed 1:1 pull ( see http://www.sram.com/technology/187/t...m-road/src/cat ), where the length of cable pulled is equal to the distance the derailleur travels. Derailleurs don't know how far they are supposed to move, shifters tell them. Since X0 and XX shifters both speak in 1:1 and both X0 and XX derailleurs listen to 1:1 the two should be cross compatable. So yes XX shifters with a 10 speed cassette and X0 rear derailleur will work.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    That's kind of what I was thinking when I posted this originally but it doesn't necessary mean it will work. All it means is that with .XX inches of cable pulled by the shifter that the rear derailleur will move the same amount. Sram could have (and likely did) change the shifter spool diameter AND index click spacing from the X series. This also means that the little lever arm on the back of the derailleur would have been changed also to match the front change. Does this make sense?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I don't see why that would matter. If the spacing between 10 speed cogs=a and the spacing between 9 speed cogs=z then for a derailleur that has a 1:1 pull, the amount of cable needing to be taken in/let out to have a 9 speed shift equals "z" and for a 10 speed shift "a." Now since the shifters in question pull in/let out either "a" or "z" cable length per shift I don't see why it won't work. Adding in pulleys or routers in between the shifter and derailleur doesn't change the overall pull as sram explains it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Gang,
    If you do the homework you will note that the XX rear deraileur is completely different than Xo. Aside from the shifter actuation, the cage has been completely redesigned to be narrower 10 sp. and most importantly, has an offset pully location to increase the range. So if you want XX, go with the package and off the XO- 9 speed deraileur. Simple.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by janiszew
    I disagree here although I don't know what's going on w/ Peats bike since I don't know what shifters are on there. Exact actuation is indeed 1:1 pull ( see https://www.sram.com/technology/187/...m-road/src/cat ), where the length of cable pulled is equal to the distance the derailleur travels. Derailleurs don't know how far they are supposed to move, shifters tell them. Since X0 and XX shifters both speak in 1:1 and both X0 and XX derailleurs listen to 1:1 the two should be cross compatable. So yes XX shifters with a 10 speed cassette and X0 rear derailleur will work.
    Unfortunately while Exact Actuation was developed using much of the same technology as 1:1...they are not the same. 1:1 simply refers to the pull ratio, 1mm cable pull...1mm derailleur movement. Exact Actuation actually ensures that the derailleur move exactly the same linear distance each shift. Because derailleurs do not move linear and instead move diagonally and the diagonal distance between gears can vary quite a bit. A floating upper pulley is what usually compensates for this variable. Exact Actuation actually ensures the lineal distance remains constant, which requires the shifter and derailleur to have variable pull ratios to maintain equal linear movement. So no, unless the X.O. has the correct shifting ratio (controlled by the "fin") they are not directly compatible with X.X. shifters.

The picture of the X.O. derailleur on Peat's bike clearly has a different "fin" than a stock X.O. derailleur. As far as the shifter, it is not labeled in any of the pictures I have seen and has a red alloy thumb lever which looks like an X.O. but that would be the only distinguishing difference as the X.X. and X.O. shifters look nearly identical and a alloy lever could have just as easily been put on a prototype X.X. (since this was pre X.X. release).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Wonder if it will be possible to use the new 10 speed x.0 "fin" on a 9 speed x.0 rear derailleur to convert it to "exact actuation"...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Buggy, 10 speed chains work fine on 9 speed setups (better even). The narrower cage makes no difference. If it did the chain alone would show it.

7 speed derailleurs work fine on 8, 9, 10 by the way.

Don't take the marketing too seriously... The only challenge to overcome is cable pull.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Gotta agree with you kroe, the width of the cage is the least important thing to be concerned about.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    You gus missed my point. That is not to do with the width of the cage, but rather the offset pully location which is there I suppose to assist with the wider (i.e. 34, 36T cogs) more than 9 or 10 spped chain width, right?

mtbr member
    Us weightweenies already have solutions for this issue...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=580366

mtbr member
    Bump - I want to revive this discussion, as I'm setting up a 2x10 bike and gathering parts. I've already purchased a 2011 X0 2x10 rear derailleur, 2010 XX cassette (11-36), but haven't bought the shifters yet. I'm torn between getting a new X0 set or a used XX set - but I was assuming that they'd both be compatible with the new X0 derailleur - maybe not?

The SRAM guy
    To answer the latest question from MTBhead, without revisiting all of the older stuff:
    any SRAM 10 speed RD will work with any 10 speed SRAM shifter. All are Exact Actuation. There are cassette considerations you have to take into account though. A 9 speed RD will not work on a 10 speed cassette with a 10 speed shifter. Well it won't work as intended anyway. Also, the 10 speed geometry was changed to allow it to clear the 36 tooth cog.

Personally, i wouldn't buy used parts, you would want to know the history or why anybody would be selling used XX shifters. Buy the new X0, you will be happy. Note that XX and X0 shifters do have a different feel. The XX are lighter and quieter feeling, the X0 have a more positive "chunk" shift. It's a personal preference, not a performance difference.
    Chris Hilton

mtbr member
    Thanks bama - there may not be a performance difference but there's an almost 50g difference in weight, and I'm trying to build a very light 29er (I plan to use it primarily as a cross bike). I usually don't geek out about weight this much, but with this particular bike build I am.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just broke my 3rd XO shifter within the last year. I would not buy an XO, there are a lot of quality control issues with those shifters...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Today i've buyed XX 2x10 shifter set, and want to buy x0 10spd. Type 2 RD.
    Now i'm not shure, will that combo work!?
    I have offer for XX RD, but there's no Type 2!
    What will be a better choice - x0 or XX for XC riding?
    And one more question - will work front XT direct mount derailleur with XX shifters?

Members who have read this thread: 0