mtbr member
    Jun 2018

SRAM shifting under power

I heard that Shimano is touting that their new Hyperglide Plus makes shifting under power smooth and seamless in both directions. Does this happen on SRAM X-Glide cassettes?

I tried a worn in XO1 11 speed groupset and it seemed to shift fine while accelerating, while a Shimano Hyperglide X (HG-X; 9, 10, and 11 spd) system was inconsistent. Sometimes the Shimano system would work out well, sometimes it would feel kind of delayed or even skip, making me feel like I'm freefalling a bit, forcing me to recover my balance before pedaling again.

Would like to put more time on a SRAM X-Glide system to test it further, but it's pricey, and I doubt the Powerglide (PG) system is any better than HG-X. Only scenario in which I would really make use of it is sprinting from a standstill anyways... never ran into a system that was distinctively bad compared to other systems when shifting into a lower gear (for climbing up something steeper), that could be blamed on the system itself and not on a specific bike setup.

mtbr member
    My only experience with Sram is a XO1 Eagle Group, a GX Eagle Group
    and the a GX Eagle with the Sunrace 11-50 cassette.

The GX is a bit slower than the XO1, but both are shifting fine under load and working smooth.

The GX - Sunrace combination worked surprisingly well.
    It was smooth and quiet. No back pedal issues at all in any gear.

I fine with a Shimano drive train too, but on my real mountain bikes I prefer Sram over Shimano.
    I dislike having to hop off my bike to engage the clutch and than it shifts like a front derailleur.
    Also love the Sram cage lock. So much better.

Buy what you want, as long as you are happy, you made the right choice.
    Both Shimano and Sram are really good. You can't possible go wrong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    My drive train is NX rear mech and NX shifter in 1x11 config. Rear Cassette is SunRace that touts similar specs to SRam tech on shifting and is a 50T monster. Front gear is not SRAM but NX technology complaint.

I must say I marvel at how smooth the shifting is even under load. I just came from dated 3x7 shimano config which was rough under load... this is like butter.

**edit
    I do have backpedal issues in granny gear, I believe this is due to my unusually wide bottom bracket that causing more chain angling on the granny gear. If I purchased a more narrow BB I'm fairly confident that my backpeddling issues would go away, but I'm not that concerned about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

"stripped" smallest cog of sunrace cassette

This is probably the wrong place to post, but new to this forum. I have an e-bike with Sram shifter and rear cassette is sunrace. It hasn't done many km's and they have said I have "stripped" the smallest cog. What would this look like?SRAM shifting under power-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

stripped?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Penelope View Post
    This is probably the wrong place to post, but new to this forum. I have an e-bike with Sram shifter and rear cassette is sunrace. It hasn't done many km's and they have said I have "stripped" the smallest cog. What would this look like?
    From you pic I would not say that is stripped... Stripped cog would be the teeth being worn down considerably. Now it is possible perhaps that the internals of cog is stripped, but that would mean you would be able to freely rotate the cog with your hands both directions.

I have seen "Warped" cogs... I have seen brocken teeth on a cog.. I have seen "Worn out" cogs.. The term stripped is new to me. I would ask them to explain themselves. From the pick the cog looks pretty new to me.