mtbr member
    Jan 2009

SRAM Rise 60 Carbon Wheelset Nipple Bulge

Hi guys,

This is my first carbon wheelset. Was one of the early XX1 adopters in my country and I had to go with this wheelset because it was the only available option for me at that time as the XD driver for other branded hubs were not available. From what I know, there aren't many Rise 60 sold in my country.

Fast forward to now...while cleaning the rims, there is a noticeable bulge on the carbon at one of the nipples. It's difficult to spot with the naked eye but obvious when I run my finger along the carbon surface. Here are some photos that I've tried to capture under certain light condition.

These rims have only been trued once by my LBS till now after I noticed wobbling during one of the rides. Other than this, they have been performing great. I ride mostly trail and occasional 2 foot drops and jumps. No big stuff. I am sure these rims have been tested far more rigorous than what I ride.

Is this normal for a carbon rim and can I continue riding them or should I be worried? Logic tells me that the spoke tension is too high and is pulling the nipple inward. Need some advise. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Has any fellow forumer had any similar situation as above with carbon rims and mind sharing your warranty experiences?
    These rims are under SRAMs 2 year warranty but my warranty was rejected and no reason was given by my LBS.

What do you guys think? Should I take this directly to SRAM or would it be a waste of time? These rims aren't cheap to begin with.