Sram Rise 60 Carbon Rear Wheel Tubeless Problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Sram Rise 60 Carbon Rear Wheel Tubeless Problem

Has anyone had problems converting the Rise 60 carbon wheels to run tubeless? I have used the included Stans rim strip but cannot get a tyre to seat and blow up! I have replaced the Stans rim strip with Stans tubeless tape and even Gorilla tape and separate valves. I have tried various tyres, old and new, tubeless ready and not, wire bead and folding bead etc... and none of them will take any air. I have even purchased a tubeless specific inflator (the Giant one - can't remember the name) that you pump up to 140psi and release all the air in one go, but still nothing.

To my untrained eye it looks like the depth of the rim is too deep. No tyre seals properly to the rim, so when you start to inflate there are gaps between the tyre bead and the base of the rim.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received, because at the moment I have spent a small fortune (inflator, tape, valves, tyres) and time trying to get this to work but with no results!!!!

Moderator Moderator
    I've only used minions on them, and have had a tough time getting them to seat. I've figured out that a new folded tire, straight from the package is impossible. I unfold them, get them in tire shape, and leave them to relax overnight. Without sealant, I'll then mount them with lots of soapy water in the beads. Pull the valve core and use a compressor to air them up. I have a piece of tubing that fits over the core and tip of my airgun to eliminate leakage. Doing that, they'll often air straight up. Once seated, I'll add sealant.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Another trick is to set them up initially with a tube and let them sit for a few hours or so... then just break the bead on one side to remove the tube and put in the tubeless valve. Im my experience you have a much higher probability of getting just one bead to seal than trying to fight with two. Doing this I've been able to setup multiple sets of different rims using just a floor pump and some soapy water.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately I don't have access to a compressor, so it would mean a trip to my LBS everytime I change a tyre. In the past I have managed to seat tyres using a good track pump, so this is just frustrating. Maybe a compressor is something I am going to have to invest in!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks kwarwick, I will give the inner tube trick a try this weekend - not tried that before.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just got some sram rise 60 wheels (old stock) that I'm using on gravel bike and experiencing the same issues mounting tires but I'm not using mountain tires. I had a gravel king 35c that went on with some frustration - had to push/maneuver the tire where it was leaking air, while emptying the compressor. After 10s or so it finally popped up on the rim.

But I gave up trying to mount a new schwalbe x-one 35c. I thought something was wrong with the tire but it sealed up perfectly on a stans rim first time. I was able to mount a x-one that had a couple rides on it on the front, so other other poster suggested, stretching the tire out should help.

I think the depth of the trim is the issue. I'm going to do 2 or 3 layers of tape to see if that helps. probably whisky tape - stans tape is awful IMO.