SRAM GX 1x groupset - help me get better climbing gears!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

SRAM GX 1x groupset - help me get better climbing gears!

Current set-up is an 11 speed GX groupset on Stumpy6fattie- 28T chainring (Custom SRAM GX-1000, PF30 spindle, 28T, direct mount) with an 11-42 rear (SRAM XG-1150, 11-speed, 10-42t).

I'm assuming my crankset has removable spider arms so I believe the cheapest thing to do would be to put a SRAM Race Face Narrow Wide 26T ring. Am I correct in this assumption?

My other thought was to get a Shimano cassette (11-46), if it's compatible. My other XC bike has GX groupset with I believe a Shimano rear cassette and I was able to switch out the largest cog to a Wolf Tooth.

I can't afford Eagle or that would be my first choice!

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I bet you have a XD freehub body to support that GX cassette, this rules out cheaply switching to a Shimano cassette as you would need a new free hub body. So yes moving to a 26t would be the lowest cost upgrade. However, is a 26t x 42t combo even something you can pedal? My rough math tells me thats about 3mph, please correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah that's pretty low... I would prob try an oval ring first before downsizing. It changed my climbing tolerance enough to get me to the top in one piece...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My other bike actually has a 24/40 combo so while it seems low, I'm actually used to the high cadence and my knees really appreciate it. I don't believe the 26/42 combo would be any lower than that would it? Heck with the SRAM Eagle you've got a 30/50 combo and while I really don't know how to fully interpret gear ratios, that seems pretty low!

In another forum these gear ratios were listed, although I don't know how to apply the #'s to real world experience:

28/42 is 0.666 is what you have now (on my current Stumpy)
    26/42 is 0.619 is cheapest
    24/40 is 0.600 is your other bike (my XC bike)

I wasn't aware that with the XD hub that I would need to change to a Shimano hub, which I'm assuming would cost around $75, then I'd need to buy a 46 tooth Shimano cassette would would be another $70ish.

Sounds like the way to go would be with the Race Face 26T, which would still not be as low as my 24/40 set-up on my other bike but better than I've got now.

Can anybody confirm that my GX Crankset has removable spider rings and would be compatible with the Race Face Narrow Wide SRAM ring?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My wife rides the Stumpy FSR 6fattie and my concern would be the chain clearance in the 26/10 combo. The clearance with the stock 28T ring is pretty tight on the top of the chain stay. Have you looked into the ethirteen 9-44 cassette? It would fit your current driver body and should give you the extra range you are looking for.

Also, my wife's bike came with a direct mount GX crank so there wasn't a spider on it, they don't usually have spiders on 28T rings because the ring is too small to fit a standard 104BCD. So yes RF SRAM mount NW ring will work on your bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    My wife rides the Stumpy FSR 6fattie and my concern would be the chain clearance in the 26/10 combo. The clearance with the stock 28T ring is pretty tight on the top of the chain stay. Have you looked into the ethirteen 9-44 cassette? It would fit your current driver body and should give you the extra range you are looking for.

Also, my wife's bike came with a direct mount GX crank so there wasn't a spider on it, they don't usually have spiders on 28T rings because the ring is too small to fit a standard 104BCD. So yes RF SRAM mount NW ring will work on your bike.
    My GF has a 6F and I put a 26T on. The chain does come into contact with the plastic chain guard in the 10T. The contact doesn't seem bad though. I don't see it as being a huge issue unless she spends alot of time in the 10T.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I thought part of the attraction with GX was not needing the CD driver. So yeah, you should be able to drop in an 11-46 Shimano cassette. You might need a longer chain. A smaller chain ring would be good for close to the same change in granny gear ratio. You'd give up a little top end but keep tighter shifts. So there's a preference to be had there.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    The GX still need the XD driver. The NX is the one that fits a Shimano hub.

mtbr member
    Easiest and cheapest option is the new ring, but personally I vote MTFU. Guessing on the 6fattie it's even a bit easier, but on 29" wheels 26/42 gives an 18" gear, that's such an easy, easy gear. Work on your fitness man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Didn't think about "working on my fitness"........

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Easiest and cheapest option is the new ring, but personally I vote MTFU. Guessing on the 6fattie it's even a bit easier, but on 29" wheels 26/42 gives an 18" gear, that's such an easy, easy gear. Work on your fitness man.

Thanks for the kind input. I'd say I'm pretty fit - I completed multiple 100 milers this year. It's the fact that I need bilateral knee replacements and ride with a previously shattered pelvis which requires me to customize my gearing so I can keep riding. I'll respectfully disregard your input and continue to look for ways to help me stay on the bike.

mtbr member
    As someone who's suffered lots of hip/lower back issues I can totally relate, have had to change up my bike setup because of it and don't ride as hard a low gear as I used to right now, but still manage to get up and over most things without having to go so low gearing wise That's great and a very good reason for wanting some easier gearing, props to you for continuing to ride, hope you get those knees sorted and your hip doesn't give too much pain Appologise for being a bit rough, off the bike for the last several weeks from said back.hip issues, bit frustrated.

Also, take the advice, try an oval ring, my friend did and got one of the same tooth count and was amazed by the difference he said it made compared to running a standard round ring.

Quote Originally Posted by MHCBH View Post
    Thanks for the kind input. I'd say I'm pretty fit - I completed multiple 100 milers this year. It's the fact that I need bilateral knee replacements and ride with a previously shattered pelvis which requires me to customize my gearing so I can keep riding. I'll respectfully disregard your input and continue to look for ways to help me stay on the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Look at the crank/spider, if there's a noticeable gap between the arm and spider, you can remove the spider and run a direct mount ring. Not all GX cranks can do this, some are one piece.

Another vote for the oval ring too, I went with the same size on my fatbike and it was much easier climbing and my knees didn't hurt after riding. I'd try the same size or maybe the next size down.