Is Sram components a bunch of poop?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Is Sram components a bunch of poop?

So I've recently purchased my first really nice mountain bike, after 8 years and thousands of miles on my airborne, I was thrilled to be able to afford a second hand Commencal meta 4 all mountain. Onto the first ride, everything was going fabulously, the bike was shifting tight, climbing like a goat, and smoothing all the usual hand/butt killers out. Until about 15 miles in... my guide R brakes locked up, my reverb started developing Y axis play, and my shifter began jumping in the middle of the cassette. Now I have been working on bikes for years, and dialed this thing in properly before the ride, but sure I'll allow the shifting to be chocked up to cable stretch etc.. but wtf is up with the brakes and seatpost?

I bought this bike used sure, but it was one of these people that bought a super cool looking mountain bike, that never left the garage, the thing didn't have a scratch on it!

I'm reading the brakes and seatpost are common issues with the 2016 versions, and to contact Sram, however, my LBS doesn't F with sram at all, shimano only, and I can't go through the dealer since I bought it second hand. So here I am stuck with my dream bike, and two critical components failing because of manufacturing defects.

Is all sram stuff this crappy? I love the feel and touch of it all, but what does that matter if it doesn't work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    If the Guide R's are locked up and not a current (17+ model), chances are, they need to be RMA'd at your local dealership. There's a known issue with tolerancing in the master cylinder. Any reputable LBS should be able to RMA them without you having bought the bike from them...

Can't speak for the reverb, no experience there. Which drivetrain? My SRAM NX stuff isn't great, but it will be replaced with GX when it breaks or wears out. Is the hanger straight? If the cassette shifts fine elsewhere but is off in one spot, that might be a culprit.
    His: 2017 Commencal Meta AM V4.2 Ride. With Zee brakes :)
    Hers: 2018 Commencal Meta TR V4.2. Zee, too! :D

Stone Jack Baller
    So, your LBS wonít even attempt to work on sram stuff? Iíve never heard of that. My LBS will at least try to fix anything for anyone. I think Sram is just like anything else. You get what you pay for. Cheap Sram is crap. Nice Sram is good. Without knowing the details of that bike, I would think it came with good enough Sram components to not be crap.

mtbr member
    My recent bike came with sticky sram guide r. Got that warrantied. Bought guide rsc off of a friend because he wasn't using them and I ended up replacing the master cylinder piston myself. Super easy.

If you really have no support around you, you could look around to see if you can purchase the lever only. If you do that might as well just go rsc.

Reverb play sounds like you need to perform the full service on it. Rockshox has the step by step online and you can buy the kit online too.

Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Guide brakes had some serious problems and will need to be warranted. SLX or XT brakes are a huge upgrade in power and reliability. I personally won't run Sram brakes.
    All droppers have some side to side play. If it starts to sag more than 15mm, it's time to send it in.
    Your shifting should be able to be fixed with a shimano SP41 housing and new cable. First check your hanger!!!!! All newer drive trains need a perfectly straight hanger to function correctly.
    Sram drivetrains compare pretty favorably to shimano at the same price points. Higher end components will be better regardless of manufacturer. I prefer Shimnao, but run sram as they have been first to market with innovations for the last 6+ years.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I believe my GX group just needs to be gone through and properly adjusted, so not to worried about that, and on my brakes I'm going to sand down the plunger, which is proven to fix the braking issues. The reverb only drops maybe 3mm down but it's just the fact that everything Sram on the bike seems to have an issue save for the pike and rt3.

If I can't fix these levers I will be getting shimano and my next post will be a KS. Srams customer service is horrible seeing as they only talk to shops. I'm a person who does all his own work and only goes into a shop if I need to buy a part I can't get in time off line.

I'm just very disappointed at the poor manufacturing quality of these "high end" components

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I would recommend a 9point8, BikeYoke or fox dropper post. KS has suspect reliability.
    A brake failure could seriously hurt you. It sucks to replace almost new parts, but I would seriously consider getting better brakes.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I would recommend a 9point8, BikeYoke or fox dropper post. KS has suspect reliability.
    A brake failure could seriously hurt you. It sucks to replace almost new parts, but I would seriously consider getting better brakes.
    Another vote for bikeyoke. I currently have 9.8 and it's been flawless but the day it dies, I'm hoping on the revive train.

Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Will second this. Picked up a BikeYoke to replace the KS Integra that came with a bike.

mtbr member
    I bought a Commencal Meta a few years ago. It came with Formula brakes, better than SRAM but still not as bullet-proof as I would like, so I took them off before the bike turned a wheel and put Shimano XT brakes on. No problems, fit and forget.

The rear derailleur cable routing on these bikes is idiotic, very convoluted with sharp bends, and the cable is not the highest quality either. I struggled with my shifting too but got it working acceptably by oiling the cable. One day I'll run better cable and leave it on the outside of the chain-stay. I expect that will fix the shifting completely.

Droppers, they're all unreliable! I bought a Specialized Command post as it had the lay-back head I wanted but also because it's fairly simple so at least I can pull it apart and fix it myself. If you want to avoid paying shops to fix stuff, that's the direction to go in. Not saying that post in particular but something you can deal with yourself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Little update, as far as the GX goes, the cassette had about half an inch of side to side play, so a quick tighten up will fix that, I'm going to rip apart the brake levers and sand down the plunger, and I'm just going to leave the seat post. After all this I should have a pretty solid bike. When everything was first working the thing was a blast!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sender420shred View Post
    When everything was first working the thing was a blast!!
    Commencal know how to build an entertaining bike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    SRAM can be hit or miss in my experience. My guides have been very reliable but I am not crazy about all the lever throw in the Guide R, and I had to adjust them because the factory bleed sucked. Early versions had a known flaw where the piston locks up, but I believe that was fixed in the version that I have. I know past SRAM brakes (taperbore stuff) had issues, but I also loved my old Juicy brakes so there's that.

I hated both the rear suspension (Monarch RT debonair) and front suspension (Pike) that came with my bike, and am in the process of swapping out both. No SRAM suspension for me in the future.

The GX groupset on my bike has been great and I've had no real issues there.

My reverb has been fine so far (knock on wood) , and as it is a relatively new iteration (2017) supposedly the reliability is better but we will see. If I had to buy a new one, it would likely not be SRAM.

So I guess the moral of the story is, SRAM for drive train and maybe brakes, but not for suspension or droppers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Kid has a META AM4 -

Guide brakes went out last year, didnt fool with warranty just swapped to SLX its all they had at the shop where we were riding. His fork,dropper and drive train all SRAM/RS has been good.

I bought a new bike yoke revive dropper for me and DW and so far they are superb. No issues with lifting by seat etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    May 2006
    the reverb needs to be bled especially if it gets cold -6C

so best to bleed cold and you need to pump it up (overfill) otherwise it wont go down if up or it won't go up if down.

Trail Ninja
    I can live with Reverbs, though I don't recommend it to others. Guide brakes I can handle. All the cassettes I've ridden from them all have some trait that I disliked, but still plan to ride them til they fail.

XX didn't like shifting down from the 7th to 8th (hardest/fastest/smallest) gear.
    XO1 cassette risk of the lockring thingee separating, and chainline issues such as dropping on backpedal, rumbling in 10t.
    XO1 RD upper pulley becoming mis-meshed with the chain.
    Reverb turned into a suspension post if you pulled on the saddle if it were dropped (such as picking the bike up by saddle). Also didn't work well if you have it on your car rack, driving up into chilly mtn, until it warmed up.

I trust Shimano way more in general and am willing to take the weight penalty for that reliability.

That all said, I don't hate all SRAM products and don't love all Shimano products. These are just minor biases that set my expectations before I buy. It will be a reality shock if I had a Shimano failure, but I will be pleasantly surprised if a SRAM product didn't disappoint. I like to rely on shop customer service to handle these things nowadays, but hope that I don't have to. They're the ultimate catch-all, and I am greatly influenced on choose where to buy stuff based on this reason. I am not a hotrodder, and try to be happy with stock parts, though tires, contact points (grips, saddle, pedals), and wheels typically are on the block to get changed first.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Must be the luck of the draw. I've got X0 on one bike and a mix of XX1/01 on another...no issues. Two Reverbs (one is 4 years old) and no issues with either one. I've got SRAM Red on my road bike with over 10k on the shifters and derailleurs with no issues.

I've got no experience with SRAM brakes...but the 11sp derailleurs can be a bit finicky to set up(mostly the b tension). Once setup properly...they've been trouble free.