Sram 7-speed DH for... GRAVEL??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Sram 7-speed DH for... GRAVEL??

Is anyone out there running the Sram 7-speed DH drive trains for anything other than a downhill bike?

Right now I'm running a singlespeed as my do-it-all bike and I LOVE the simplicity, the "zen," all that stuff. That's what intrigues me the most about running that DH drive train.

Less gears, more fun?

As I get more and more into gravel riding and racing, I'm realizing gears would definitely help out the fun and add the opportunity to go a lot faster, but I want something streamlined. I want less choices... at least, that's what I'm thinking right now.

Give a shout if you're using that GX or XO 7-speed on a bike that points up and downhill.

mtbr member
    Almost perfect timing with your question. I just switched my Stache from SS to a Sram DH setup tonight. I doubt I'll get a chance to ride before the weekend but I'll update my post soon.

I loved the Stache as a SS but there are a few rides where I wanted a bit more range. In particular, riding the road to get to the trail as well as a road connector between trails weren't fun at all. I think the ~2.27:1 range of the pg720 cassette should be sweet on this bike and it's $25 cost is awesome.

That being said, I would hate the limited range on gravel. I like to hit 40+ on the fast sections but not kill myself on 6mph climbs when I'm tired.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thread update:
    I have three rides (~50mi) now on my Stache with 11-25 DH gearing (hereby christened Sparrow gearing). So far I'm really digging the setup. My trails are generally rocky, lots of tech, short punchy climbs/descents, no long climbs/descents. I think this is the perfect gearing for the way I ride this bike. I generally use this bike for shorter rides (<2hours) so the lack of low gears isn't that big of a deal. My current setup has 5th gear matching my typical SS gearing. This gives me two lower gears and 4 higher gears compared to my SS setup.

I think this will be a very fast setup since you still have to ride it like an SS bike on the climbs. That is, you still have to stand and attack the climbs vs sitting and spinning. 7 PRs for me in the first 3 rides without trying. I still wouldn't personally use it for gravel but my opinion has softened a lot after three rides. The 11-25 range is actually pretty wide so gravel wouldn't be as miserable as I thought. This range would comfortably cover me from about 6-24 mph with my current front ring on this bike. I would bump up my front ring for a dedicated gravel bike to skew this range up to about 30mph on the high end.

Only downside so far is that the cheap pg-720 cassette is all single cogs. I fear they will quickly destroy my aluminum freehub - so be it - the bike is super fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for the update!

Henceforth I am definitely going to call it "Sparrow" as well. Haha! I'm glad it's working out for you. And it sounds exactly like how its working out in theory in my head. "Singlespeedy, but with some range." I don't want to lose that grinding on climbs, as that's what makes singlespeed set-ups so enjoyable.

Congrats on the 3 PRs!