Sram 2x10 Bash guard?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Sram 2x10 Bash guard?

Has anyone heard when Sram will be coming out with the bash guard/chain guide for the 2x10 setup? I can't find anyone that is making one. Thanks Chris

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Are you looking for something like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram 2x10 Bash guard?-xtr-trail-pedals2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Bash Guard

Yeah I'm looking for something like that with a chain guide. Everyone I talked to said they don't make anything for the new 2x10. What product do you have? Thanks.

mtbr member

I'd contact MRP

They have a new bashguard for 2x10 but it doesnt have a guide. Some existing guides may work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram 2x10 Bash guard?-156256_179862482030613_147979205218941_700631_347386_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by n2fire
    Yeah I'm looking for something like that with a chain guide. Everyone I talked to said they don't make anything for the new 2x10. What product do you have? Thanks.
    That's the stock cranks on a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29er. My guess is that it is actually this Truvativ X0 3x10 crankset with the outer ring replaced with the bash/shift guide. They look the same (compare with the photo above), except one is 22/33/bash and the other is 22/33/44.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram 2x10 Bash guard?-truvativ-3x10.jpg  

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Thanks craigstr!

As shown above we do offer a bash solution for SRAM double cranks, additionally it features a little added security in that it prevents the chain from dropping off the small ring. At this time we don't have a chainguide for these types of cranks. The XO cranks feature a replaceable spider that will allow them to be converted to a standard three-ring configuration from which you can add a bash and a dual-ring guide like our LRP. It is the only double crank with the replaceable spider as far as I know.

Intense Tracer (ISCG-05), X7 crank (39t), MRP XCG
    Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I read somewhere that sram were going to bring out 24/36 and 26/38 10 speed chainrings to work with their triple cranks in conjuction with a bashguard, specialized seem to be running a similar setup on their 2011 top spec enduro bikes and the stumpy evo with a gamut bash guard and lower roller.

A Baker St. Muse
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    They have a new bashguard for 2x10 but it doesnt have a guide. Some existing guides may work.
    What is this bashguard part actually called, and what brand is it? I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks.

A Baker St. Muse
    Quote Originally Posted by michael573114
    What is this bashguard part actually called, and what brand is it? I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks.
    Aha, I found it. MRP XCG. I didn't realize that was the actual product name.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have the XCG as well. Works well except after a few bumps it will spin around and start rubbing the chain. Have had two different shops tighten it up but it will still do it. MRP makes a few other models that may serve the purpose better. The XCG was the only one compatible with my gearing at the time....

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by IronTom
    I have the XCG as well. Works well except after a few bumps it will spin around and start rubbing the chain. Have had two different shops tighten it up but it will still do it. MRP makes a few other models that may serve the purpose better. The XCG was the only one compatible with my gearing at the time....
    That will happen from time to time with BB mounts, sorry about that. The more you can rotate it counter clockwise the less prone it is to getting caught on the skid's corner and rotating. ISCG and 05 models don't have this problem.

Out upcoming XCG 40 should be less prone to this as it provides more ground clearance, it'll be the best solution for 38, 39, and 40t outer rings. Cheers
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just need to break down and get the tools to service it myself. The mechanics at the LBS aren't very good to be honest. It is a good product and I'm amazed someone didn't think of it sooner...

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    This is just about the only "specialty" tool you'll need - and they are really inexpensive. This is for the BB cups on *most* modern cranks. To remove cranks generally just requires a 5mm hex (for Shimano or FSA) or an 8mm (for most others). A plastic star tool is handy for Shimano cranks too, but I often just use pliers.

Cheers, glad you like it.
    Last edited by NoahColorado; 04-01-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IronTom
    because of how easily the MRP guide rotates (even when properly installed and tightened down), I had to take it off after 3 weeks. It's a poor substitute for the much simpler solution of a bashguard outer chainring. Also, my chain got jammed rather tight between the MRP guide and the little ring. It did not help prevent chain drop, it only made it harder to unjam it.

sorry guys, but I give this product a thumbs down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i was looking for a guard for my speciallized evo,and i ended up making two of them out of7075 T6 for myself and my local bikeshop owner( and long time friend)The guard is actually quite light and seems to hold up. I need to look and see if i have a pic. I've seen the stock guard on the stump jumper, it doesn't seem to be available seperately.The chainring bolts on the evo are very proprietary,they are just long enough have just enough thread and a shoulder that maximizes the strength under the chainring, they thread right right into the chainring. I used m5 flathead allen bolts through the middle of the chainring bolts.
    Last edited by herbn; 04-01-2011 at 01:11 PM.

A Baker St. Muse
    Quote Originally Posted by herbn
    i was looking for a guard for my speciallized evo,and i ended up making two of them out of7075 T6 for myself and my local bikeshop owner( and long time friend)
    Yeah, I've been thinking of doing that myself, but wanted to make sure there wasn't something already out there. You know, laziness and all. I guess I'll start looking into this again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot
    because of how easily the MRP guide rotates (even when properly installed and tightened down), I had to take it off after 3 weeks. It's a poor substitute for the much simpler solution of a bashguard outer chainring. Also, my chain got jammed rather tight between the MRP guide and the little ring. It did not help prevent chain drop, it only made it harder to unjam it.

sorry guys, but I give this product a thumbs down.
    While it has its drawbacks compared to the traditional bash gaurd, its the only one I've seen that will let you keep the third ring. The OP is about a 2x10, so I guess it's a moot point anyway.

mtbr member
    Looks like SRAM and MRP may be working on something to help us out!

https://www.bikerumor.com/2011/03/25...orative-chain/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Sram 2x10

Nice find!! Can't wait for that to hit the market.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    bash guards that bolt onto the frame are a waste of time , a rock ring that bolts onto the spider is the most efficient and reliable chain protector, you just gotta find one or make one that's the right strength for how hard you bash into things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones

Can anyone confirm this by now? It mentioned May in the article and that was back in March. I really need a good bash guard and this looks to be the best choice for the 2x10 X0 setup I just got...

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Dude
    Can anyone confirm this by now? It mentioned May in the article and that was back in March. I really need a good bash guard and this looks to be the best choice for the 2x10 X0 setup I just got...
    The pictured guide is for single rings. Our previoulsy mentioned XCG is pretty much exactly what you're looking for though, it's available.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member

Thanks Noah

I've been bugging Noah for months about the 2x10 40 tooth ISCG 05 version of the XCG. He let me know the minute they were available and I ordered it directly from MRP. Installation was a snap and it weighs hardly anything. Bike is a 2010 Titus El Guapo with SRAM X-9 26-39 cranks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram 2x10 Bash guard?-p1010001.jpg  

Sram 2x10 Bash guard?-p1010002.jpg  

Sram 2x10 Bash guard?-p1010003.jpg  

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones

that's nice, but looks like ISCG only... no ISCG, tfb I guess...

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    They make a iscg bb adapter that takes the place of a 2.5mm spacer

XCNH
    Nov 2008
    The XCG will not clear the bottom bracket on a Niner RIP. Any other suggestions?

Fat Guy Riding
    I've got a X0 2x crank setup on a non-ISCG frame and the BB doesn't use any spacers - Any suggestions on how to go about mounting up the XCG on this setup?
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

mtbr member
    Just upgraded my 09 Spesh Enduro Comp with X0 3X10 set up, removed the big ring and used a Gamut Dual ring chainguide. Upped the middle ring to a 36 and it's smooth as butter. I couldn't be happier.
    2009 Enduro SL Comp
    2010 SX Trail II
    2011 Giant STP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDan View Post
    The XCG will not clear the bottom bracket on a Niner RIP. Any other suggestions?

SAme boat here. Anyone have any ideas pertaining to the RIP 9?

mtbr member
    Here is a shifting one that's supposed to be out soon. Noah - ETA? Me want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram 2x10 Bash guard?-s780_2x.jpg  

"It looks flexy"

XCNH
    Nov 2008
    It's hard to say for sure, but it looks that, like the XCG, it will not clear the bottom bracket of a Niner RIP. I hope that's wrong.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by jschwart73 View Post
    I've got a X0 2x crank setup on a non-ISCG frame and the BB doesn't use any spacers - Any suggestions on how to go about mounting up the XCG on this setup?
    SRAM/Truvativ cranks?
    NOAH SEARS

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by jschwart73 View Post
    That's okay, you can still install the XCG SRAM BB-Mount model. The SRAM BB-mount kit consists of a ISCG adapter ring and and ISCG XCG, together they work in perfect harmony and yield the best possible spacing for SRAM 2x10 cranks. You'll mount the adapter between the drive-side cup and shell.

Contrary to popular belief, this will have zero effect on chain-line. The only way to manipulate chain-line on a GXP style BB is from the non-drive-side.
    NOAH SEARS

Fat Guy Riding
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    That's okay, you can still install the XCG SRAM BB-Mount model. The SRAM BB-mount kit consists of a ISCG adapter ring and and ISCG XCG, together they work in perfect harmony and yield the best possible spacing for SRAM 2x10 cranks. You'll mount the adapter between the drive-side cup and shell.

Contrary to popular belief, this will have zero effect on chain-line. The only way to manipulate chain-line on a GXP style BB is from the non-drive-side.
    OK, good to know. But the XCG I have now won't work, right (I have the BB mount, purchased 2 months ago)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

mtbr member

My Dilema

My X-9 2x10 on my 2010 El Guapo is a great setup gearing wise but I constantly drop the chain while descending in the big ring. While I wait for the MRP 2x10 guide I tried to sandwich an XCG with a Blackspire stinger which didnt work. It probably would have if I pushed the chainline out 1.5mm but I didnt want to do that. I ended up just mounting the Stinger and will have to just be careful not to bash the rings until MRP gets that guide out. The chain lines up perfectly with the two rings and shifts like a dream.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    They really need to start making deraileurs that match the radius on chainrings.For my dh bike(gaint glory 0) I made a plastic block that mounts in the cage above the chain,it just clamps onto the top part of the cage,it keeps the chain from bouncing at that point,i use a saint rd and have never dropped the chain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

XCNH
    Nov 2008
    If the bashguard bolts doesn't replace the outer ring but bolts on outside of the outer ring, then that is definitely it. Longer bolts will be required and the photo doesn't show the bashguard with the two rings so it looks likely to be an outer chainring replacement.

XCNH
    Nov 2008
    I just called MRP and while the X-Guide is out (TRUVATIV X-Guide | SRAM) it doesn't fit the RIP. They essentially told me that Niner designed a rogue linkage system, have learned the error of their ways and are redesigning the RIP to accommodate standard bash guard products. I'm waiting for a call back from Niner about that one.

I also called SRAM about their bashguards which are now out (SRAM 2x10 Chainring Conversion Kit | SRAM). If you have an XX crank (like I do) you are screwed. If you have X0 or X9 you can buy the conversion kit but they are geared pretty low. I run 42-28 and the highest conversion kit is 38-24. You can buy a 3X10 crankset and add replace the outside with a standard bashguard, but the inner rings are geared far too low so it will be very expensive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just Got my MRP X2 direct from MRP shipped to the Uk in around 3-4 weeks and looks really well

It's the BB version fitted to my Titus FTM Carbom from On-One using the XX Drivetrain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram 2x10 Bash guard?-copy-chain-device-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    How's it working for you Madmick?

I need a solution for chain drop on my XX cranks right away. The cranks are getting mangled.

mtbr member
    Been running one since they came out with no problems on X9

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Can you feel the drag?

mtbr member
    Feel a little when I shift between front rings but none while pedaling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Perfect

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    How's it working for you Madmick?

I need a solution for chain drop on my XX cranks right away. The cranks are getting mangled.
    hi well so far not had chance to give it a real test since i've been bit unwell but planning on testing it soon, will keep posted how it goes

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    Are you looking for something like this?

I AM!!!!!! I guess I need something that bolts on to the star... I have a '10 Remedy 9.9, no ISCGs, BB95 threaded press fit style(No bottom bracket caps) and running the XX 39-26.

HELP! What can I use ?

Thanks,

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    I AM!!!!!! I guess I need something that bolts on to the star... I have a '10 Remedy 9.9, no ISCGs, BB95 threaded press fit style(No bottom bracket caps) and running the XX 39-26.

HELP! What can I use ?

Thanks,

MTBP
    The only way to get a crank-mounted bashguard on the XX is to remove the large chainring and bolt a guard in that spot.

SRAM now has conversion kits for their X0/X9/S1400 cranks that gives them 36-22 or 38-24 gearing and the ability to mount a guard, but that conversion is only possible on those crank models because they have a removable spider. Or you can just by the three-ring 22/32/44 version of one of the SRAM cranks (which is what is shown in the post you quoted) and replace the outer ring

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    The only way to get a crank-mounted bashguard on the XX is to remove the large chainring and bolt a guard in that spot.

SRAM now has conversion kits for their X0/X9/S1400 cranks that gives them 36-22 or 38-24 gearing and the ability to mount a guard, but that conversion is only possible on those crank models because they have a removable spider. Or you can just by the three-ring 22/32/44 version of one of the SRAM cranks (which is what is shown in the post you quoted) and replace the outer ring
    Yeah, I was afraid of that. Not buying anymore cranksets; Got one to many as it is.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

MTBP
    MTBP

mtbr member
    My Pivot Mach 5.7 uses a Shimano E-type with the arm removed or a SRAM S3 direct mount type. What is going to be the best FD to use with the new 24-38 setup? I have a direct mount SRAM XX S3 front derailleur for 26-39 and also a 3x10 X9 S3 FD for 22-32. I'm guessing neither one of these will work and I'll need another front derailleur to use 24-38? You don't have any height adjustment with this setup and I'm assuming that the 26-39 one would have rubbing on the bottom of the cage in the small ring because it wouldn't be low enough, and the 3x10 FD wouldn't shift high enough to clear the chainring of the 38t. My thinking is I'll have to get another 2x10 derailleur specific to 24-38 and then put my 2x10 front shifter back on.

Personally, I found the 26-39 that came on my Mach 5.7 to be a bit too much on some of the steep, loose climbs here in the Colorado front range, even with the 11-36 cassette. I found myself walking sections I cleaned before, or expending way more energy getting up stuff I didn't have problems with before. I appreciate they're offering lower gearing options, but SRAM is way late to the party here. I've got bad knees and I'm no world class athlete, but I'd like to think I'm reasonably fit and I mountain bike all the time. But the front range can be punishing, and it's nice to have that easy gear to keep spinning up the mountain without stopping, especially when you're talking several thousand feet of continuous elevation gain. I would have kept my 2x9/bash setup, but it seems it's impossible to find a complete bike with 9 speed on it these days, and I don't want to be "forced" to upgrade later when I can't find parts.

I ended up replacing my 26-39 X9 2x10 with an X9 3x10, then replacing the outer with a bash. I also had to buy a new front derailleur and a new front shifter to get this to work. I was specifically told that you couldn't use any smaller than a 26 little ring because of the BCD they used. I also wanted to run a bashguard. Why not use a 104 BCD from the start so we could easily replace chainrings? I would have preferred the 24-38 originally. I think this would have been a much better compromise for your average trail rider that's not racing. Now I find out they make adapters to run different gearing, and they just figured out now that a lot of mountain bikers like bashguards. WTH? So glad I wasted all my money replacing crankset, shifter, and FD only to find out they make a conversion kit now and I could keep the 2x10 chainline benefits, plus get a bash and lower gearing. Thanks a lot SRAM. I appreciate it. Arrrrgggghh.

Maybe now I can use this 2x10 I have sitting around...if I buy the new spider/rings...and then install the old shifter back...and buy a new FD...sh*t never ends.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 09-23-2011 at 07:35 AM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    My Pivot Mach 5.7 uses a Shimano E-type with the arm removed or a SRAM S3 direct mount type. What is going to be the best FD to use with the new 24-38 setup? I have a direct mount SRAM XX S3 front derailleur for 26-39 and also a 3x10 X9 S3 FD for 22-32. I'm guessing neither one of these will work and I'll need another front derailleur to use 24-38? You don't have any height adjustment with this setup and I'm assuming that the 26-39 one would have rubbing on the bottom of the cage in the small ring because it wouldn't be low enough, and the 3x10 FD wouldn't shift high enough to clear the chainring of the 38t. My thinking is I'll have to get another 2x10 derailleur specific to 24-38 and then put my 2x10 front shifter back on.
    Baecker - This is the same thing I'm wondering. I'm riding a '11 Mach 5.7 also, still with the stock x.9 26-39. I'm planning on going all in on either the 22-36 or the 24-38 (leaning towards 22-36, actually), but I'm a little concerned about whether I'll need to replace the FD. I wonder if Pivot or SRAM have any information on that front?

anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post

Personally, I found the 26-39 that came on my Mach 5.7 to be a bit too much on some of the steep, loose climbs here in the Colorado front range, even with the 11-36 cassette. I found myself walking sections I cleaned before, or expending way more energy getting up stuff I didn't have problems with before. I appreciate they're offering lower gearing options, but SRAM is way late to the party here. I've got bad knees and I'm no world class athlete, but I'd like to think I'm reasonably fit and I mountain bike all the time. But the front range can be punishing, and it's nice to have that easy gear to keep spinning up the mountain without stopping, especially when you're talking several thousand feet of continuous elevation gain. I would have kept my 2x9/bash setup, but it seems it's impossible to find a complete bike with 9 speed on it these days, and I don't want to be "forced" to upgrade later when I can't find parts.

I ended up replacing my 26-39 X9 2x10 with an X9 3x10, then replacing the outer with a bash. I also had to buy a new front derailleur and a new front shifter to get this to work. I was specifically told that you couldn't use any smaller than a 26 little ring because of the BCD they used. I also wanted to run a bashguard. Why not use a 104 BCD from the start so we could easily replace chainrings? I would have preferred the 24-38 originally. I think this would have been a much better compromise for your average trail rider that's not racing. Now I find out they make adapters to run different gearing, and they just figured out now that a lot of mountain bikers like bashguards. WTH? So glad I wasted all my money replacing crankset, shifter, and FD only to find out they make a conversion kit now and I could keep the 2x10 chainline benefits, plus get a bash and lower gearing. Thanks a lot SRAM. I appreciate it. Arrrrgggghh.

Maybe now I can use this 2x10 I have sitting around...if I buy the new spider/rings...and then install the old shifter back...and buy a new FD...sh*t never ends.
    Isn't fun!?!?

Here is the only solution that I've found for my XX:

.:: Carbon-Ti - Hi Tech Bicycle Components ::.

.:: Carbon-Ti - Hi Tech Bicycle Components ::.

Oh well, maybe if my frame cracks I can get a '12 for warranty and finally have ISCGs.

MTBP
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Did anyone come up with a solution for the niner RIP 9 2x10 bash guard issue?... I have the same issue and have been unable to resolve it. Thanks.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bhinojosa View Post
    Did anyone come up with a solution for the niner RIP 9 2x10 bash guard issue?... I have the same issue and have been unable to resolve it. Thanks.
    Looking through this thread it looks like there was an issue with at least one chain guard with the RIP9 but I don't see any issues mentioned with a bash guard. What specifically is the bash guard issue you're having? I am running a Race Face bash guard on a 2x9 setup on my RIP9 and don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on a 2x10 setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos View Post
    Looking through this thread it looks like there was an issue with at least one chain guard with the RIP9 but I don't see any issues mentioned with a bash guard. What specifically is the bash guard issue you're having? I am running a Race Face bash guard on a 2x9 setup on my RIP9 and don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on a 2x10 setup.
    Crank mounted bash guards don't work with any stock Shimano or SRAM 2x10 cranksets because the crank spiders are designed differently. As for chain guides with built-in guards, none of those actually fit the RIP9. The SRAM replacement spider with lower gearing is the only way I know of to make something like that work.

Man VS Wild
    Here is my 2X mounted BB style to my FOES Inferno. Works well so far. My main concern was busting teeth off of the rings. The guide is a plus. It's true, you don't really feel the drag at all while riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram 2x10 Bash guard?-mrp-2x.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I need the 2x10 crankset mounted bashguard also, nobody seems to make them yet though.

I ride Trek Remedy 9.8 (2011) and it has pressfit bearings and 2011 model has no ISCG-tabs, so the crank mounted guard might be the only mounting option for my bike.

Bought the bike last fall and I have already broke two tooths of the SRAM XX cranksets big ring. The crankset works like dream otherwise, so I'm not going to change back to Shimano 3x10, guess I have to buy extra big ring just in case.

Seems a bit odd that there is no product for sale because surely it has been obvious from the date that the SRAM released the 2x10 crankset there would be demand for the light bashring immediatly.

I inquired this bashguard from Blackspire yesterday and they answered "Not yet", so hopefully there is something coming soon...

mtbr member
    I'm running a 2X10 X9 setup gearing is 42 / 28... am I SOL when it comes to a bash guard and chain ring setup?

This is my AM bike, do I need a completely different gear setup? What options do I have?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by krazychowmein View Post
    I'm running a 2X10 X9 setup gearing is 42 / 28... am I SOL when it comes to a bash guard and chain ring setup?

This is my AM bike, do I need a completely different gear setup? What options do I have?

Thanks!
    I think you would need to get a new spider. I use the triple spider setup 22/33/bash.

mtbr member

If you want to keep that gearing?

Quote Originally Posted by krazychowmein View Post

Thanks!
    Your only option would be an MRP 2X guide. The X9 2 ring/bash combo only comes in 22/36 and 24/38.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

XX 1x10 Setup?

I have a XX 28/42 crank on a 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert 26". I want to goto a 1x10 setup.

The only chain ring I can find that's avaialable in the US is a Homebrew. I want a 36 tooth (or possibly 35). They only make them for the inner ring (80BCD). They also make a bash ring for the outer 120BCD pattern. I would only use this if it helped with chain retention. This is for XC racing. I just want a single ring with guaranteed retention. I've gotten hurt and lost time in races on too many occaisions.

Assuming I went with this ring, what guide and tensioner would work with the inner ring? Are these things adjustable for chain line settings (horizontal)?

Anyone with any ideas??? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Does anybody have news at the XX -bashring front, the snow is melting and rocks are coming out.

Blackspire has been developing one from 2010, must be a real diamond when (if) it comes out.
    Supposed to be at stores 2011, but something has delayd/ cancelled it.
    From the forum: Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks -> Bash Guard for 120 BCD??

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis-FIN View Post
    Blackspire has been developing one from 2010, must be a real diamond when (if) it comes out.
    Supposed to be at stores 2011, but something has delayd/ cancelled it.
    From the forum: Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks -> Bash Guard for 120 BCD??
    Rep from Blackspire told me it will be available in about 4 weeks. I'm getting in line now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm running a Giant Anthem X with a full 2012 X0 group. It's a 2x10 with a 39 big ring.

The Anthem doesn't have the tabs, so the bash guards listed above seem like they won't work.

I found this:
    Lightweight Bash Ring for Sram XX and Other 120bcd Cranks

You guys think that'll work for me? I'm just tired of dabbing to pop my bike over rocks I'm sure I'll dig my ring on - it's slowing me down. The trails I ride most often are very technical and I don't really need the big ring at all.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Your best bet is to ask HBC if that bash is compatible with true 2x10 cranks. My understanding of the new Shimano and SRAM 2x cranks is that the bolt pattern does not allow for traditional bash guards, which that one appears to be.

I also read that HBC are sloooow to deliver (they even say 8+ weeks on their site), so keep that in mind too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Custom Baby

They don't make a tragitional bashguard for the XX 2x10. We had one custom made. Looks like this. They guy that made it kept a jig and can reproduce them any way you like. Powder coated, etched, engraved, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sram 2x10 Bash guard?-007.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    wow - necessity really is the mother of invention. That's cool... and looks heavy. What exactly is that mounting to?

XCNH
    Nov 2008
    From what I've seen, the HBC will work since it replaces the outer ring. Truvativ also has a ring replacing bash in the X9 line but it seems to only be sold as part of a complete crankset Truvativ X9 10-speed Double Crankset Review - BikeRadar. Blackspire is soon releasing a true SRAM 2X10 bash (not an outer ring replacement). It should be shipping in about three weeks. Blackspire - Defender 120BCD 2X | Blackspire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think we got it down to 4oz. with ti bolts. Mounted to a trek Stump Pro? Maybe? I forget. We drilled and tapped the inner chainring and used pins to gap the distance. Decided to mount to small chainring for two reasons. The bolt hole pattern and Chainring bolt thread pitch/diameter combo are completely unique, and the inner chainring is the cheapest thing to replace if we goofed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roll0ver View Post
    Your best bet is to ask HBC if that bash is compatible with true 2x10 cranks. My understanding of the new Shimano and SRAM 2x cranks is that the bolt pattern does not allow for traditional bash guards, which that one appears to be.

I also read that HBC are sloooow to deliver (they even say 8+ weeks on their site), so keep that in mind too.
    Reply from Dan at homebrew:

"Yes, just be aware it replaces the big ring, so you are only left with the small ring. Some people donít notice that.
    Thanks,
    Dan"
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yeah, so nothing truly innovative like discogolfer's custom bash. HBC is essentially doing what most aftermarket companies do with a 3x -- sub the outside ring with a bash, making it a 2x. HBC's solution actually sounds interesting to me because I want to go 1x10... or just wait for the new SRAM 1x11, which sounds soooo sweet. But then we're still back to needing a bash for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Pics up at Blackspire:
    Blackspire - Defender 120BCD 2X | Blackspire

Says custom mounting hardware. You guys figure that's just longer bolts?
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by baconismidog View Post
    Pics up at Blackspire:
    Blackspire - Defender 120BCD 2X | Blackspire

Says custom mounting hardware. You guys figure that's just longer bolts?
    now that you have it, are they just longer bolts (different size from standard 104BCD I've read) or something to compensate for the maybe not flat spider, or is that part of the ring ?

Workin for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    now that you have it, are they just longer bolts (different size from standard 104BCD I've read) or something to compensate for the maybe not flat spider, or is that part of the ring ?
    I just installed the 120BCD Blackspire ring, the kit consists of 4 new chainring bolts that standoff 1/4" and are centre tapped for the ring mounting screws. The ring is meaty and looks strong, hopefully the mounting system is up to the task...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Need help to change XX chainrings

Hi there
    I have XX cranks with 26/39 and I want to change them to 24/38. Any ideas? Too hilly here in my country. Thanks

mtbr member

26/39 is as small as you can go

XX cranks have the 80/120mm bolt pattern, a 26 tooth ring is the smallest anybody makes for that pattern. You can't change the spider on XX cranks like you can on X9 or XO that allows you to get the 24/38 combo.

Members who have read this thread: 1