SRAM 10spd and 9spd compatibility- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. SRAM 10spd and 9spd compatibility

Decided to start a new thread that might help a few other people in addition to myself. I tried searching, but couldn't find the exact answer to my problem.

So I need to buy a new crank and I really like 2011 SRAM X.9 2x10, because by next spring I plan to get new RD, shifters, chain and cassette (Christmas and B-day ), I just don't have the funds for full drivetrain replacement right now.

From what I could gather, this crank should work just fine with the rest of my 2009 X.9 drivetrain and 990 cassette. My only concern is front derailleur, do I need to buy a new 2x10 FD or can I just adjust the stop screws. As I understand the new 2x10 FD is designed to sit closer to the frame than regular FD. And if I do need to buy 2x10 FD, will it work with my 9spd front shifter?

mtbr member
    Yes, you can use your old front derailleur with your 3x shifter as you said. You only have to set up your screws right.

And yes, the new crank will work just fine with the rest of your drivetrain.

Im planning to do nearly the same. I will buy xx crank and front derailleur and the new 9speed xx cassette and use all this with my x.0 twisters and rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    I'm going to do the same with the X-9 chainset on training bike.
    UK-Biking Shop now live - Also follow us on Facebook and Twitter

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was wondering about the compatibility of the new X0 chainset and old 9 speed chain, cassette and derailleur. The 22-33-44 gearing for the triple is almost identical to 9 speed triples.
    I asked some guys at Shimano if their drive trains were interchangeable between 9 and 10 speeds. The explained that off the record they were.
    Hope it's the same for Sram as I cant afford the outlay to buy a full groupset.
    Skye

Members who have read this thread: 0