Sid Ultimate wipers.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Sid Ultimate wipers.

Any one else have this fork?

The wipers don't appear to be tight against the stanchions. There's a small gap, that I can actually push against the stanchion if I press on it. Wondering if this is this forks design or if there's an issue here. It looks like a dirt catch to me.

I'll try to post a couple pics, been having a really hard time with that as of late on this site.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Lighting isn't great but shows the wipers/stanchions and the gap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sid Ultimate wipers.-20200731_182150%7E2.jpg  

mtbr member
    They claim the new one has SKF seals. Mine look that way too, no idea why.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks 04 F2000SL, it's definitely a bit disconcerting. It looks like it's basically a pocket. I'm sure it closes up a bit down under the upper edge, but it would strike me as flirting with dust intrusion since you're already letting it get under the lip by a small amount.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    What happens when the forks extend? Does the gap invert and an inner seal push out ? SKF spend millions in development so Id guess it has a purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I agree with you Steve that SKF would have a purpose with it. Just strikes you as odd when you see it. I've barely cycled it, so can't say. Though I think it's as 04 F2000SL said, and has to do with low friction, and the wiper makes contact a smidge lower.

I found this that shows pics of the wiper from the inside. Down the page a bit shows the upper lip of the wiper and I figure that's what is creating the gap. Just looks bigger to my eye than what I'm seeing in that pic. https://bikerumor.com/2019/04/04/roc...re-controlled/

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    I agree with you Steve that SKF would have a purpose with it. Just strikes you as odd when you see it. I've barely cycled it, so can't say. Though I think it's as 04 F2000SL said, and has to do with low friction, and the wiper makes contact a smidge lower.

I found this that shows pics of the wiper from the inside. Down the page a bit shows the upper lip of the wiper and I figure that's what is creating the gap. Just looks bigger to my eye than what I'm seeing in that pic. https://bikerumor.com/2019/04/04/roc...re-controlled/
    I'd just hope the RS engineers will have listened to SKF... and that SKF wouldn't want it publicised they did the seals if they are expected to fail with dirt/water ingress.

On the good news I know a lot of people using the ultimate Pike's and Lyric's in the UK where rain and mud are part of life and didn't hear anything about dirt/water getting in.
    Have you looked at Vorsprung social media... if they have ripped any apart? I'd imagine BC is also hard on poor seals... and Steve at Vorsprung won't BS if he see's a problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'll take a look over there, thanks Steve.

I'm concerned because of the moon dust that I have where I ride. It is as fine as talc. On wipers where the lip makes contact at the upper edge, (ie, all of my other forks) the dust clings to that area. I've always been in the habit of using a fine, soft toothbrush to brush this away after every ride, even when I've lived where the dirt is different. But, having a 'cavity' of sorts with a very thin contact area below the upper edge to thwart ingress, it just strikes me as tempting fate.

I reached out to SKF to pick their brains, haven't heard anything yet.

Also curious about anyone else that's running this fork and have opened it up. How'd it look inside after 25 hrs?