Should I upgrade a 7 speed bike from 1996?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Should I upgrade a 7 speed bike from 1996?

I have an old mountain bike that I came across. It's an old Specialized Hardrock GX from 1996.

Everything is in working order. The only thing that I don't like is that it doesn't have rapid fire shifters. It has grip shifters.

I was thinking that I would look around to see if I can find shifters. I found that the X.3 is a 7 speed set. I can get a X.3 rapid fire shifter, front & rear derailleur for very cheap brand new. Question is, should I? It has older Shimano derailleurs and grip shifters. Since this is going to be a loaner/spare bike, I think a new drivetrain would make things a lot easier for whoever is borrowing it.

BTW, I purchase the bike for $30.00, so I'm only $30.00 into it, another $70 is my max I want to put into the bike.

Former Bike Wrench
    Why not just put a pair of Shimano 7 speed Rapid Fire shifters on it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I kept throwing around the idea of updating the bike. Replacing the front fork with a inexpensive Spinner Grind 1 1" threaded fork, new drive train, etc.

I talked to the LBS about the and they told me that an inexpensive fork would be a downgrade from the rigid fork. He also informed me that if I do a lot of upgrades to the drivetrain, I might as well buy a new mountain bike. With my LBS selling entry level Trek & Specialized bikes at $329 and 2009 MTB going for less, there isn't a reason to do extensive updates to the bike.

I purchased a Shimano 7 speed index shifter and that'll be the only upgrade to the drive train that I'll do.

Hardwarz

Members who have read this thread: 0