servicing a SID fork...5 ml of oil in lower legs...way too little?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

servicing a SID fork...5 ml of oil in lower legs...way too little?

I found a chart of fluid levels for my year SID, and it says to put 5 ml of 15wt in each lower leg.

Being a US kind of guy, I converted to ounces, and it says 5 ml is 0.16907 ounces? .17? That's like 4 drops or something.

How can that be?

I would think at least an ounce or two?

Anyone know for sure?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I just did the service and very little drained out when I was pulling the lower legs off. So I think it might be right. In any case, I only added 5ml to each leg so if it's wrong, I guess I'll learn the hard way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, 5ml is right. It's obviously just for lubrication. I was thinking the oil in the lowers was part of the damper or something. One thing is for sure, finally doing the 50 hour service - after almost 4 years of riding, made my fork feel like new again. I replaced the foam wipers, but the seals looked new. I bought the whole full service kit, and really only used the foams. So I'm going to buy a few more foam wipers and plan on doing the service again every year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Did you use a flangeless dust seal installation tool?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think it's way too little, at least in a dry climate. I can only make it about 6 months before the foam rings are all dried up. 5 ml isn't enough to even coat the inside of the stanchions let alone make it all the way to the foam rings even if you dare leave your bike upside-down a lot.

Next oil change I'm doubling the amount to 10 ml. Hopefully that helps extends the service intervals. Adding too much extra could cause issues with pressure on the seals during compression but I don't know at what point that may happen. My guess is it would take quite a bit of extra oil to reduce the interior volume enough to actually be a problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    id say doing a lower service once every 6 months is the bare minimum that should be done.

the lower leg bath spec is separate from saturating the foam rings when doing a service. you should soak the rings first AND then add 5ml to the lowers.

mtbr member
    5ml.....How else do you think RS is keeping the weight down on the SID. On SIDs and Rebas I do pretty frequent lower services, mostly to clean and soak the rings in Float Fluid.

I would be interested in knowing how much oil could be added without doing harm. I could not see doubling the volume to 10ml as BRH plans to do doing any damage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    5ml.....How else do you think RS is keeping the weight down on the SID. On SIDs and Rebas I do pretty frequent lower services, mostly to clean and soak the rings in Float Fluid.

I would be interested in knowing how much oil could be added without doing harm. I could not see doubling the volume to 10ml as BRH plans to do doing any damage.
    The newest SIDs at least are 10ml in both legs just like a lyrik..

Re OP an ounce or two is 30-60ml. Thats alot. These arent open bath forks. I put 40ml of sealant in my 2.4 tires..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I notice my 2018 SID WC starts getting sticky after a mere 6 weeks after lower leg service. So far Iíve only used the Rockshox fluids (soaked foam rings then 5 ml in legs) and wipers but have not replaced all the o-rings and other seals. Maybe wear on the seal head glide ring makes it feel sticky sooner?

Everything except the foam rings looks pristine when I service it even as far out as 6 months. This spring I plan to replace the foam rings, seal head, and maybe a few other seals plus try other lubes to try to get to a 6 month service interval. If thatís not possible, Iíll probably just go back to Fox. My old open bath Fox could easily go a year with no noticeable difference in performance. Maybe thatís asking too much from these low oil volume closed systems?

Seems like a step backwards to me.