Rock Shox Monarch RT3 Issue- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Rock Shox Monarch RT3 Issue

So as some background I bought a new rocky mtn thunderbolt with an rs monarch rt3 rear shock last June. I ride the bike then until October and put it,away as it is winter and I pull out my fat bike.

i am a bigger guy at about 260, and I believe I ride the bike as it was intended, I am not taking it to the bike park, nor do I do big drops, I just ride the local trails.

in February I take the bike back to my lbs for service and to have volume spacer put in the rear shock. The lbs pulls the shock apart and it is leaking, so rock shot replaces the shock.

i then ride the bike 4 times or so, no more than 120 k and the shock becomes unresponsive towards the end of the ride. In the parking lot I notice the shock is stuck in a mostly compressed position. I get home and try and pump it up, no change, I let the air out and no change. Take it to my lbs and they pull it apart thinking they can fix it, but apparently there is something like 500 psi in the shock and it has to go back to RS for analysis. So I am without a mtn bike for at least three weeks.

i guess my question is, I am the victim of some bad luck, or should,i be thinking about another shock option for me.

i have booked a bike vacation in early august and I don't want to have this happen again.

thoughts, comments?
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sounds like bad luck to me. I'm sure RS will come through with another new shock but sucks to down for a few weeks. That being said, I have the same bike and haven't really seen much in the way of different shocks being used. I saw one post of someone using a CaneCreek inline but only at certain Ride9 positions would it fit.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ^ my lbs told me the same thing.

Anyways, according to my lbs, the shock is going to the front of the line when it gets to RS and i should be rolling in a week or so, meanwhile, my lbs will set me up with the local rocky mtn reps bike while mine is in the shop, so at least I will have something to ride.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Known problem with these. I had a brand new 2017 Bronson with an RT3 Plus that failed after 30 mins of riding. Very easy fix. Here is a link

https://nsmb.com/articles/care-for-your-debonair/

It usually happens if someone installs/removes volume reducers and doesn't lube it back up properly. The article above will show you the orings that cause the problem. These shocks preform amazing when lubed and setup properly. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Mine did the same on its first ride, it's a 2016 model. Took the bike back to the LBS and they knew right away the issue. The grease sram uses is too thick and the valve to the neg air chamber gets stuck. The tire it down and replaced with a lighter weight lube. Seems to be fixed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Mine was fine until my LBS rebuilt it and added 4 volume spacers, at my request, and now it was short shocking every few rides, inside the air can is so scratched up that RockShox was amazed, and the connection between the main shock, piggy back and eye hole is so loose it wobbles. RockShox is sending me a 'crash replacement' because the shock is 3 years old, and I'm on the hook for the LBS failing.