Reba XX 29er Fork Lockout issues- Mtbr.com
    The Other Dude

Reba XX 29er Fork Lockout issues

I just got my Reba XX 29er fork for my stumpjumper, and when i put it on, i noticed 2 things about the lockout. The first was that i still get about half of the travel out of the fork when I engage the lockout, the other is that sometimes the lockout button does not always return or release right away, almost like it is stuck. Any comments or suggestions?

It is a Tapered Reba XX 29 with 100mm of travel if that makes a difference. And i havent opened the x-loc system yet, i took it sealed from the factory, not sure if i should try a new bleed on the line. Thanks!
    Last edited by jut8; 04-23-2010 at 05:51 AM.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    I just got my Reba XX 29er fork for my stumpjumper, and when i put it on, i noticed 2 things about the lockout. The first was that i still get about half of the travel out of the fork when I engage the lockout, the other is that sometimes the lockout button does not always return or release right away, almost like it is stuck. Any comments or suggestions?

It is a Tapered Reba XX 29 with 100mm of travel if that makes a difference. And i havent opened the x-loc system yet, i took it sealed from the factory, not sure if i should try a new bleed on the line. Thanks!
    That Dosnt sound good, I would try calling RS today.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8

Did you mess with the gold colored adjustment barrel on the lockout button assembly? That dials in the amount of firmness for the lockout. My button can be sluggish sometimes, but not that much. P

Last edited by stratmosphere; 04-23-2010 at 12:16 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I just installed the exact same fork today and am noticing the same thing in regards to the lockout - or lack thereof. I still get about 50% travel even with the gate in the furthest locked out position. I'm running 160psi in both air chambers. Is there some sort of break in with these thing poplocs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by igere
    I just installed the exact same fork today and am noticing the same thing in regards to the lockout - or lack thereof. I still get about 50% travel even with the gate in the furthest locked out position. I'm running 160psi in both air chambers. Is there some sort of break in with these thing poplocs?
    mine is the same and I've bled it. Floodgate dial doesn't seem to
    have any effect on it either.

mtbr member
    Same problem here.... Rode it for the first time last night and noticed this problem immediately. Anybody contact SRAM yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I can't speak to the XX level but I had the same lockout issues with my SL. If floodgate adjustment has no affect on lockout you probably need a new compression dampener. This is not entirely uncommon with post 2009 Reba. Your LBS will send it off for warranty service. My turnaround time was ~12 days

mtbr member
    May 2005
    There are two guys I ride with that both have the XX 29er forks, and their lockouts were similar to mine, they just don't seem to have the level of lockout that I'm used to with reba forks... disappointing considering this is RS's flagship fork.

As it turns out my fork was defective. I got 7 miles into my first ride and the main piston seal was leaking air between chambers. That's right, 7 MILES. Started with 170psi in both upper and lower chambers but after 7 miles there was over 200psi in the bottom chamber and less than 100psi in the top. Had only about 50mm of travel. I was riding with the owner of my LBS when it happened and he was actually the one who noticed I had no travel.

Sent it back to Sram for service the next morning and they replaced the guts despite not being able to duplicate the problem. Showed back up on Friday but I'm out town so haven't tried it out yet. I'm hoping it was just a fluke but my confidence in this fork is pretty low at this point. Rockshox should be ashamed considering the price tag.

Members who have read this thread: 0