Reba PopLock won't "retract"- Mtbr.com

Jan 2006

Reba PopLock won't "retract"

I have a Reba Team with the remote PopLock (think that's what it's called - the bar mounted travel lock-out). When I release the lock-out, half the time the spring returns the blue knob to the regular position and half the time it sticks. When it works, it works perfectly. When it sticks, bouncing the fork around doesn't seem to shake it loose. Anybody ever had this problem and figured out the solution?

Thanks,

Dan

mtbr member
    Sounds like the damper is shafted.

This has happened to me and two others i know - rockshox replaced the damper each time....

mtbr member
    Does the blue knob spring back normally if twisted by hand? If so, a new cable and housing should take care of things.

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wddamf
    I have a Reba Team with the remote PopLock (think that's what it's called - the bar mounted travel lock-out). When I release the lock-out, half the time the spring returns the blue knob to the regular position and half the time it sticks. When it works, it works perfectly. When it sticks, bouncing the fork around doesn't seem to shake it loose. Anybody ever had this problem and figured out the solution?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi I have this problem some of the time but can narrow it down to two situations:

Not on the bike: always works.
    On the bike: its 50/50 whether it will retract on its own.

If it does not retract automatically, I small tug upwards on the handlbars always makes it click into position.

I am a very new user and have the Reba World Cup version.

Does anyone know if this is normal???

Cheers

mtbr member
    No it's not normal.

As i said Rockshox replaced my damper when i asked about it...

Jan 2006
    Thanks for the input.

I checked the cable (completely removed it) and the knob still sticks - so that's not the problem. I also tried it with the fork loaded and unloaded - neither seems to have any difference on the sticking I'm experiencing. It feels like there is some sort of drag in the shaft and the spring just isn't strong enough to overcome it.

I'm gonna contact RS and try for the waranty!

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    No it's not normal.

As i said Rockshox replaced my damper when i asked about it...

In my case, this happens occasionally on the Pushlock (not poplock, sorry).

The folk is new and does not seem to have any other problems. Then pressing the lock to release and the folk is under load it will not always spring back until I release the weight off the handlebars. (I weigh about 200lbs)

I know this is different from Dan’s issue but do you really think the damper has gone in my case? If so are there any other ways of checking this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have the same problem with my Reba SL 2009.
    The blue knob spring back by hand, but when i put the cable it sticks.
    I just install a new cable an housing and it still doesn't work.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by florin83
    I have the same problem with my Reba SL 2009.
    The blue knob spring back by hand, but when i put the cable it sticks.
    I just install a new cable an housing and it still doesn't work.
    I had the same problem on a brand new Reba Race 29er. Initially the problem was stuck external gate knob, but I think in the process of unsticking the gate knob the lockout return spring inside the Motion Control damper popped out of place. Took me a while to figure out this was the cause as you can't really see inside the damper well enough to locate the hole that the bottom of the spring seats into. Once I re-tensioned the spring and got it hooked into place properly it seems happy again... time will tell if it will stay put or not.

Members who have read this thread: 0