Poor Eagle shifting- Mtbr.com
    climbing optimized
    Sep 2013

Poor Eagle shifting

I got Eagle XX1 on my new Ibis Ripley LS. X01 cassette. The shifting is crap. I can set it up so it shifts perfect on the smallest 10 cogs but then it won't upshift to the 2nd to largest, or it will shift but then click like it's about to jump to the next smallest cog. if I crank the cable tension so it'll run cleanly on the 2nd largest cog it won't upshift on some of the smaller cogs. I've been working on bikes forever and have set up and tuned a lot of derailleurs. I've never had trouble like this.

I've trued the derailleur hanger twice. It wasn't far out, what I'd normally consider close enough, but I made it exact. Didn't help. I set up the derailleur to Sram's directions including using the B screw adjustment measuring tool.

It's like the space between the 2nd and 3rd largest cogs is too big. It looks like it is but tooth profile sometimes makes visual illusions.

Anyone else have this kind of problem?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've got it on 4 bikes and it shifts flawlessly on every one of them. I didn't think it would be better than XX1 (11-speed), but it is. Must be a set-up issue.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

climbing optimized
    Sep 2013
    What cog does your chainring line up with? I'm running a Next crank with a 32t raceface chainring. I'd wanted to run a wolftooth as it's chainline is farther inboard but it won't clear the swingarm on my Ripley. The raceface chainring needs about 2mm of spacers to clear and it's as close as I'm comfortable with. The chainring lines up with the fifth smallest cog.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Your hanger is bent or the cable is binding.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    I got Eagle XX1 on my new Ibis Ripley LS. X01 cassette. The shifting is crap. I can set it up so it shifts perfect on the smallest 10 cogs but then it won't upshift to the 2nd to largest, or it will shift but then click like it's about to jump to the next smallest cog. if I crank the cable tension so it'll run cleanly on the 2nd largest cog it won't upshift on some of the smaller cogs. I've been working on bikes forever and have set up and tuned a lot of derailleurs. I've never had trouble like this.

I've trued the derailleur hanger twice. It wasn't far out, what I'd normally consider close enough, but I made it exact. Didn't help. I set up the derailleur to Sram's directions including using the B screw adjustment measuring tool.

It's like the space between the 2nd and 3rd largest cogs is too big. It looks like it is but tooth profile sometimes makes visual illusions.

Anyone else have this kind of problem?
    Yup me too

It seems that the spring just doesn't have enough pull to get it to move down the cassette smoothly....it shifts but it sometimes takes a bump or something to help out...

I over shift (two clicks down then back up one) works okay...

Could be cable drag????. but everything is still really new...

I think SRAM should do a recall for and install a stiffer spring.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Yup me too

It seems that the spring just doesn't have enough pull to get it to move down the cassette smoothly....it shifts but it sometimes takes a bump or something to help out...

I over shift (two clicks down then back up one) works okay...

Could be cable drag????. but everything is still really new...

I think SRAM should do a recall for and install a stiffer spring.
    Nothing wrong with the spring. If it shifts fine at one end and not the other, your hanger is bent. 99% of new bikes need there hangers checked and adjusted when built. They are never perfect and eagle needs to be perfect. Not close or that looks good.
    Cable or housing is bent/binding. Shimano sp41 is the only housing I trust.
    Cable is incorrectly routed threw the derailleur bolt. It has to be on a specific side or it will change the leverage ratio.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Nothing wrong with the spring. If it shifts fine at one end and not the other, your hanger is bent. 99% of new bikes need there hangers checked and adjusted when built. They are never perfect and eagle needs to be perfect. Not close or that looks good.
    Cable or housing is bent/binding. Shimano sp41 is the only housing I trust.
    Cable is incorrectly routed threw the derailleur bolt. It has to be on a specific side or it will change the leverage ratio.
    You make my point lots of little things will get less finicky

Not sure I understand. Having straight hangers and good cables seems like a no brainier. Also following the instructions on installation is always a good idea.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Not sure I understand. Having straight hangers and good cables seems like a no brainier. Also following the instructions on installation is always a good idea.
    Shifts from little to big perfect....every time

Shifts from big to little slowly, have to shift down two then up one most often...

Everything is good hanger etc. set-up

The cable drag is just a little too much for the RD....

Stronger spring everything works easy and not so finicky...

What don't you get......(I guess maybe just blind loyalty to SRAM)

Read the whole thread and come up with one fix....(one fix only Vasily)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Shifts from little to big perfect....every time

Shifts from big to little slowly, have to shift down two then up one most often...

Everything is good hanger etc. set-up

The cable drag is just a little too much for the RD....

Stronger spring everything works easy and not so finicky...

What don't you get......(I guess maybe just blind loyalty to SRAM)

Read the whole thread and come up with one fix....(one fix only Vasily)
    Actually I've been running Shimano for the last 30 years. I still think that they better built shifter, brakes, cables... What they don't have is 1x12, which is why I switched.
    Sounds like you norowed the problem to a bad cable and housing. The rear derailleur has a wheel that can get sticky too. I would disconnect my cable from the derailer and feel for stiction. It should slide smoothly with no resistance.
    I only run shimano sp41 housing and Shimano Shifting Cable OPTISLICK coated is my favorite at this moment.
    The pivots on all derailers can get gummed up to. Dripping some dry lube on them can make a difference.
    Not trying to bust your balls, but we are talking about a $15 cable messing up your 1k drivetrain.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Actually I've been running Shimano for the last 30 years. I still think that they better built shifter, brakes, cables... What they don't have is 1x12, which is why I switched.
    Sounds like you norowed the problem to a bad cable and housing. The rear derailleur has a wheel that can get sticky too. I would disconnect my cable from the derailer and feel for stiction. It should slide smoothly with no resistance.
    I only run shimano sp41 housing and Shimano Shifting Cable OPTISLICK coated is my favorite at this moment.
    The pivots on all derailers can get gummed up to. Dripping some dry lube on them can make a difference.
    Not trying to bust your balls, but we are talking about a $15 cable messing up your 1k drivetrain.
    Again stronger spring fixes a lot of problems.

Also makes for a stronger more robust system on the real trails out there.

climbing optimized
    Sep 2013
    I finally fixed my crap shifting. The shop who partialy built my bike put on a housing that was a little too long. While the derailleur was off to shorten the housing I noticed that it'd been attached with the small rotating B screw stop in the wrong place. I put it where its supposed to go. And lastly I removed the cable redirect wheel and lubed it's pivot. The anodizing was already worn.

I did three things but I think is was the B screw stop that was the major fix. I don't know if it was assembled wrong from from the shop for their partial build but if it was I should have noticed it when I removed the derailleur and aligned the hanger while completing the build. So I'll take the blame.

It shifts like it's supposed to now.

The pinch bolt cable routing determines the leverage ratio. If it's wrong then it would explain the problems you've been having. Cable friction doesn't help either.

climbing optimized
    Sep 2013
    The cable routine was wrong too. I fixed that a while back and it didn't change anything. What I explained in my last message was the real fix(es).