Paying for warrantied Reverb to be swapped over??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Paying for warrantied Reverb to be swapped over??

Wife's reverb stealth started doing the squishy thing, took it in and it was swapped over after a few weeks, when we picked it up the shop charged us 40 something for fitting which left a bad taste in the mouth, even worse, when we got home, realized they had swapped it for a 420mm one instead of the 380mm one we had, grrrr, thats a separate issue thats being sorted but just wondering if its standard practice to pay for the post to be reinstalled?
    Record your bike setup on your iPhone http://www.bike-setup.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes, they had to install the dropper post and bleed a hydraulic line. This is a fairly trivial task for those in the know, but it does take time and parts/fluid. Just google "dropper post installation bike shop", you will find prices posted online.

When I do this sort of thing I only bring in a cleaned part that needs to be warrantied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yes. That is a reasonable price. Sram does not reimburse the shop for the work. (Sometimes they send a chain). How else does the lbs keep the lights on?

I will bet that the only post in stock was the 420. You would have waited for the 380. The lbs should have informed you of this information...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Looks like we'll just suck it up. I assume someone just made a mistake with the size, we bought the 380 for a reason, 420 is no good, too high in the up and down position, so if someone did it on purpose, thats ridiculous, but hopefully not the case!
    Record your bike setup on your iPhone http://www.bike-setup.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rsfsr View Post
    Looks like we'll just suck it up. I assume someone just made a mistake with the size, we bought the 380 for a reason, 420 is no good, too high in the up and down position, so if someone did it on purpose, thats ridiculous, but hopefully not the case!
    I had a similar thing happen to me. My rear shock had a problem. I had it sent to sram. What I got back was a shock with the wrong tune, once Sram was notified they promptly sent out the correct tuned shock. The nice thing was I got to hold the incorrect shock while I waited.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    service charge sounds ok. SRAM might go broke if they had to cover install labor on their multitudes of warranty work. just think how cheap this product must be...long-term you are better off learning how to DIY, or cut losses now and buy a GD for her bike, as DIY service is as easy as installing a new shifter cable.

size may have been just what was available? but on the correct size post you should make SRAM or LBS pay for all install costs as that was their fault. Yes, even the fragile LBS may need to suck it up if they made the mistake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    At our shop if the bike came with or you bought the reverb from us I probably would have swapped for free. But if you just brought it in for a warranty from somewhere else. I would have charged for the install or asked if you just wanted the post back in the box. $40 sounds reasonable especially if it's a reverb stealth. You for sure should have been informed about the size though.

Magically Delicious
    Handle the warranty directly, perform your own maintenance and this becomes a non-issue. I far prefer to perform all of my own service and maintenance and deal directly with the OEM on all of my warranty related issues. Which, are few, but they happen.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X