Owww!! My thumbs!!! Help.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Owww!! My thumbs!!! Help.

My thumbs are killing me - mainly the right. I have been doing a lot of endurance riding/racing and I may have to switch back to Shimano. The way the levers work my thumbs are in pain to the point at the end of long rides I do not want to shift anymore. I am sure it is a parent issue, but how you use both your thumb and forefinger w/ shimano takes a lof of stress off the one digit. Anyone have a solution?

Can I use a shimano shifter with SRAM deraileur?

Cuánto pesa?
    Get grippers

Dirty South Underdog
    What Jake said. If not, you could try adjusting the angle of the shifters.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    What Jake said. If not, you could try adjusting the angle of the shifters.
    I'm missing half of my right hand thumb..At the time I lost "said" thumb, I was running a 950 XTR..
    I switched to a SRAM Attack 8 speed gripper..Afrer that there was no tuning back..

Once the XTR went south, I switched over to XO (9sp) dérailleur and gripper(s)..Even if my thumb
    grew back (haha) I'd still stick with XO..

Just MHO...

I'm not one of those Shimmy haters..I still use some of their drivetrain parts (DA cassettes, XTR BBs
    and Cassette carriers) on my bang around bikes..So I'm not a hater, just interested in performance

Dirty South Underdog
    Wow- though not nearly as permanent or dramatic as losing part of a thumb, I dislocated my right one around mile 22 of 63 in my last race, and I'm pretty sure I could not have kept shifting if I didn't have gripshift. I love them.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I too prefer gripshift for the ease of shifting. If that's not an option first make sure your cables are clean. Try replacing them and see if that changes anything. The next would be to use X.0 or X.X triggers. The angle of the shift lever that pulls cable can be adjusted.

If looking at the left shifter from above I suspect your lever is pointing at around the 7 o'clock position. This means the shift starts with your thumb extended a long way back. This requires fairly isolated thumb flexion at the metacarpophalangeal joint with the muscles at a far from ideal length-tension relationship. The result is quicker fatigue and quite likely a fair bit of pain at the base of the thumb.

Try angling the lever further towards an 8 or 9 o'clock position. Basically as far forward as possible that still allows you to complete a shift without having to push too far. The movement to shift will be through a smaller arc of thumb movement and the work required will be more evenly shared by the muscles.

Again...new cables though.

Spooooon!
    The shifters may not be the root of the problem. Check the angles of your brakes, if they are too low, you'll be bracing against the bars downhill with just your thumbs instead of the palm of your hand. You can fatigue the thumb this way, but wont notice it until you have to shift.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynastar

Can I use a shimano shifter with SRAM deraileur?
    No.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    +1 on Hairllamam

I had the same issue and it was for that exact reason. My brake levers and shifters were angled too far down thus I was holding onto the bars with way more thumb than palm.

Members who have read this thread: 0