NX. vs GX

Printable View

• 07-31-2019
    MaxMyNameisMax
    NX. vs GX
    Getting a new bike and to go from NX to GX the cost of the bike increases $1500....now there are other upgrades, but for a weekend warrior that will never ever ever race a bike, is the upgrade from NX to GX worth the extra money?
  • 07-31-2019
    Forest Rider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxMyNameisMax View Post
    Getting a new bike and to go from NX to GX the cost of the bike increases $1500....now there are other upgrades, but for a weekend warrior that will never ever ever race a bike, is the upgrade from NX to GX worth the extra money?

I think the cost increase is more related to the other components. Can't tell you if you should spend your money, especially without knowing what else makes it cost more. Chances are, it's not the NX/GX upgrade.

Things to keep in mind. The GX and above shifter is said to better. I have approximately 400 miles on the NX and there is some level of slop at the lever paddle before it engages. Shifting is perfect though. Just getting sloppy at the lever paddle.

The NX cassette is super heavy. I think it's 800 grams (the weight of 2 sets of pedals).

If you wanted to upgrade your cassette to a GX or better, you are unable to as the NX 12 speed uses the Shimano style freehub whereas the rest of the SRAM line uses their newer design.

I don't have a problem with the NX derailleur but some say it's not very good. In my experience, the drivetrain is good for the average user. I wish mine was better than it is but it functions as it should. It sounds like I ride more than you.

Before you go much further, please consider the upgrades to the bike for the cost. Don't get it in your head that the NX to GX is going to cost your $1500 bucks.
  • 07-31-2019
    *OneSpeed*
    Shimano
  • 07-31-2019
    MaxMyNameisMax
    Agreed...the $1500 includes a much better fork, dropper, bars, and wheels as well.
  • 07-31-2019
    twodownzero
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxMyNameisMax View Post
    Agreed...the $1500 includes a much better fork, dropper, bars, and wheels as well.

NX vs. GX is minor.

A better fork, dropper, and wheels is HUGE.
  • 02-19-2020
    Nel79
    This might help you

https://youtu.be/fANVNzfW3-w

Enviado do meu SM-G975F através do Tapatalk
  • 02-19-2020
    gdb85
    GX is noticeably better than NX but not 1500.00 better. The other upgrades along with GX justify the cost increase.
  • 02-19-2020
    Sidewalk
    I personally wouldn't use NX for the same reason I don't use Shimano: the hub driver. NX is basically the worst of the two.