NX Eagle Derailleur failures- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

NX Eagle Derailleur failures

Third derailleur in three weeks. The upper pulley wheel fails. First one bent to the inside, second one simply fell out and the third one fell out today. These failures have been covered under warranty but it's clear an issue exists. The pulley does not seem to have any sort of bearing surface really it just spins inside grease on the plastic of the pulley itself with a thin tin cover and a screw for the axle.

Failure occurs at random mileage and situations. First one lasting only ~20 miles second going a little more and about 50 for number three.

First failure happened up shifting, second two were downshifts. The shifts arent under any sort of high load and the failure happens exactly the same with a loud crunch and a bang when the pulley falls out then the derailleur wraps up against the cassette.

I ride everyday and I have never had derailleur problems with anything before. Last winter I even used tourney tx for about two months. SLX for a while and XTR Di2 being my main groupset. I like the way SRAM Eagle shifts and performs until it doesn't...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Try loctite?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Yes they come with it and the shop installed more. I think the problem is the derailleur bounces and impacts the wheel knocking it out over time. Nate hills runs a 36 he said to keep it in the middle of the cassette. I believe frequent users know this. The bike came with a 30 and I'm always near the bottom gears.

mtbr member
    What size cassette is being used

mtbr member
    Nx eagle

mtbr member
    Interesting, so its 11-42 then. I have heard you can't use a bigger cassette, but there Re people running up to 11-50. Yours is the first failure I have heard off. I have a nx eagle group which will be going on a build soon.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by riyadh View Post
    Interesting, so its 11-42
    NX Eagle cassette is 11-50

eastman
    I just installed the NX Eagle rear D, shifter and chain. Opted for the GX Eagle Cassette as I have the SRAM XD Drive Body on my rear hub. So far everything seems to be working flawlessly.

I did order the Rear Derailleur Chain Gap Adjustment Gauge...and had someone help me dial the adjustment under full sag....while I was sitting on bike.

I also installed the new DUB BB and Boost Eagle Crank. Had to double check the recommended spacer config to make sure the chainline was correct with my frame and boost config.

I have two rides into the new setup and everything seems ok so far.

Did you use the gap tool...that may be the culprit?

mtbr member
    The shop has set it up every time. Without the gap set correctly it really won't shift right and the bike has been shifting perfect up until the event.

I now have a GX derailleur on the bike. I think the pulleys on the NX simply are a bad design.

I went to the shop and by chance a bike was being built with NX eagle. The pulley was stiff as a board.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    The shop has set it up every time. Without the gap set correctly it really won't shift right and the bike has been shifting perfect up until the event.

I now have a GX derailleur on the bike. I think the pulleys on the NX simply are a bad design.

I went to the shop and by chance a bike was being built with NX eagle. The pulley was stiff as a board.
    I am gonna have a look at the pulleys for any issues

mtbr member
    My bad, I have nx 11 sp
    You referring tom12sp 10-50

mtbr member
    Just checked and found some side to side play on the pulleys/ wheels. I can't remember if this is normal

EAT MORE GRIME
    running sunrace 46 on mine, >1000 dirt miles, no issues
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    It's only the upper pulley that has a problem.

Others at the shop say they have zero problems as well. I've killed three of them though.

SRAM and my shop have been great through this with one day turn around on parts. NX pulleys have no bearings. The plastic wheel is the bearing. It has grease and the thin metal cover and the screw. Not sure if I'm over heating it or what. The pulley when new does not spin freely whatsoever. Lots of friction IMO

eastman
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post

Yikes! After two rides, I'm definitely having issues with my NX rear derailleur. Checked, rechecked B-Gap, chain, dropout, replaced cables and housing, etc.....and finally took it to a good local shop and they said it looks like the derailleur is defective. So, I paid the delta and they are replacing the NX w a GX. I also ordered the GX chain, just in case. Are you having any trouble w the NX shifter and GX rear derailleur?

Some interesting notes from the shop...they said you really need to check part numbers and make sure you don't have an older Eagle component. Not sure how you confirm this!

They also said chain length is critical. I removed my rear shock and measured one inner and one outer link with the rear axle at its farthest point from the bottom bracket.

I also placed a call to SRAM and they said 99% of the time these issues are due to installation error and when they get the derailleur back and test, they always work fine for them.

Very frustrating, as I upgraded from an NX 11 set and that groupo was a workhorse. Beat it to hell and back with zero issues. I upgraded to the Eagle 12 for the 50 and it was nice for 2 rides! Sure hope the replacement parts get me up and rolling again with no future problems.

mtbr member
    All of the work was free including the GX eagle derailleur. The NX shifter and NX chain has been fine with the GX derailleur. Again the NX derailleur worked fine until the upper wheel fell out

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Is it possible to replace the NX pulleys with GX pulleys? Iím assuming they are the same dimensions but the GX has an actual bearing?

mtbr member
    I had recently been throwing the chain when shifting into granny gear . Thought maybe chain was just stretched. Stoped by SRAM booth at the Santos Fat Tire Festival. The guys there jumped on it. Tried simulating it , and than did some adjustments. They said the NX Eagle derailleur's were having problems with a pin or something. Told me all their NX new ones were at the hotel room and they would put a new one on the morning. We were leaving that night, so they took a new GX Eagle derailleur off a new demo bike, slapped on mine, tuned everything, and said thanks for letting them work on my bike. Those guys did not have to do any of that, but they were really friendly , and went above and beyond to get me back on the trails. Excellent customer service and top notch guys. Can not say the same about the YETI bikes booth. They couldn't be bothered. My buddy is now selling his Yeti, and none of us will ever buy a Yeti . ever. SRAM guys rock, thanks again. It was the black 5010 with green stuff .