New XX1 Cassette install problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

New XX1 Cassette install problem

I got a new XX1 cassette recently, I took my GX cassette off today and when I went to put the XX1 on, I noticed I couldn't get the it to spin with the cassette tool, I took it off to see if I could get the inner sleeve to spin like in the video I was watching as I did it and it wouldn't budge at all. I brought it to my local bike shop, they weren't sure what was going on either, though it was mainly just younger guys working. I don't want to put it on and then force it and risk stripping the threads or something as this will be my first install. Is there anyone else out there with experience with this? I really want to get it on and get riding again, as of now, I decided to wait till Monday or Tuesday when someone more knowledgeable will be at the bike shop, and see what he says.

mtbr member
    Sometimes it does take a bit of force to spin them/break them free out of the box. With that said there may well be something up yours.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    One more quick question, would a XX1 Eagle Dub Boost 12 Speed 34T 175mm crank work on my 2019 Large Bronson C?

mtbr member
    If it came with a Dub crank...then XX1 Dub will fit right in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Sorry I'm really new to all this, always rode BMX in the past, it appears to be a SRAM Truvativ I can see it says DUB on something behind the crank arm, so I'm guessing it will work, is Boost and Dub the same thing, sorry if I sound like an idiot..

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Well I decided to grab the XX1 Dub Boost 34T Crank from Random Bike Parts as I didn't want to miss out on the good deal they had. I have been slowly trying to get all the parts when I see them for a good price and that's definitely the lowest I've seen it for. I just hope it fits without any/much modification. I'm pretty sure the chainring on my bike now is a 32T, I got a bit of a mix up when I got my bike. I wanted the GX drivetrain and the Carbon Reserve Wheels, but the bike shop only had a grey medium with that setup. So they were nice enough to switch everything over for me free of charge. The only issues I've had, is the forks have the grey stickers, and I'm a bit anal when it comes to aesthetics, I have tried to get the proper stickers from Santa Cruz, but they said they only get enough for the bikes they build and couldn't help. I got no reply when I asked if they had any pictures of the stickers that I could have made by someone. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's help, hopefully I can figure out what's going on with the XX1 Cassette and either get it installed or have it exchanged. I'll update as I go...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon81 View Post
    Well I decided to grab the XX1 Dub Boost 34T Crank from Random Bike Parts as I didn't want to miss out on the good deal they had. I have been slowly trying to get all the parts when I see them for a good price and that's definitely the lowest I've seen it for. I just hope it fits without any/much modification. I'm pretty sure the chainring on my bike now is a 32T, I got a bit of a mix up when I got my bike. I wanted the GX drivetrain and the Carbon Reserve Wheels, but the bike shop only had a grey medium with that setup. So they were nice enough to switch everything over for me free of charge. The only issues I've had, is the forks have the grey stickers, and I'm a bit anal when it comes to aesthetics, I have tried to get the proper stickers from Santa Cruz, but they said they only get enough for the bikes they build and couldn't help. I got no reply when I asked if they had any pictures of the stickers that I could have made by someone. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's help, hopefully I can figure out what's going on with the XX1 Cassette and either get it installed or have it exchanged. I'll update as I go...
    invisiframe can make you the stickers, shoot them a message! for your cranks worst case scenario you are going to need a new bb, sram dub bb are cheap like $35 or so, shouldnít be a problem fornyou to buy one. also make sure you install a new chain!

like said sram cassette may take quite a bit of force to break free but I donít know how much force you are applying but itís not a rare issue, if you search you are going to find some discussion about it!

noce to see you are learning and teying to get things done! there are no stupid questions when you are learning!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    The chain was the first part I bought when I saw it for 30% off around Christmas

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    When I first tried putting my XX1 on I was scared to death. I will tell you it took a good bit of oomf to get it to spin, like a 1/2" breaker bar type oomf, but it went. One thing I can't overstate...MAKE SURE THE TOOL IS SEATED PROPERLY!!!! It will pop out and mess things up otherwise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I brought it back to the bike shop, when the guy who seems to me, to be the most knowledgeable one, was there. He got it in a few seconds, didn't seem to take much force, I was a bit surprised at how easy it was. I said I felt stupid, but he said I was smart to not try to force it myself, because of my lack of experience. Now I'm just waiting for the new crank to get here tomorrow. It's coming with a 34T chain ring and, I'm pretty sure the one that came with my bike is a 32T. I'm in really terrible shape right now, so I'm thinking about going with a 30T. Then as I get in better shape, I can work my way up to the 34. I'd also like to get the derailleur right away, so I can get it all on before my next ride.