New X9 Rear Der - Cant Get All Gears- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

New X9 Rear Der - Cant Get All Gears

I recently changed out the shifters on my Orbea from Shimano to SRAM.
    I now have XO grip shifts, new cables and X9 Rear Derailer
    At first I was able to get all 9 gears, now I can only some times get 8th and never get 9th (the smallest and fastest)
    At first it was ok, I figured it was just bedding in but its been 4 weeks now (about 1000km) and its not happening.
    I can use my heel to 'lift' the derailer and then it will get the gears, there is plenty of slack in the cable but it seems the spring is not strong enough to get the gears.

I have given it a good clean but was also riding with a mate on the weekend and he has similar problems.

has anybody else experienced this and what did you do?

thanks in advavce

Hay Ewe

mtbr member
    Sounds like a little tuning. New cables stretched so use the barrel adjuster to tighten everything back up, or it sounds like your high limit on the RD needs adjusted. I would start with the high limit adjustment if it's shifting fine until you reach 8th or 9th gear out back.

Or you crashed and bent your RD hanger.

Never enough time to ride
    Double check your tune, but last year I did have one X9 rear der that got sticky and wouldn't drop into the bottom cog and occasionally the second to the last cog as well. Got in touch with SRAM through the local shop and they shot me a new one. Not entirely sure what caused it, just seemed like the pivots were overly tight.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Cuánto pesa?
    New X9 Rear Der - Cant Get All Gears
    Double check all the cable stops

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Check the b-tension screw also, sounds like the derailleur could be riding too close to the cogs as you get into the higher gears.

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    My vote's for the high limit screw on the rdr...mine did the same thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My bike and I were in the same place for long enough on the weekend and so I got to have a look at it.
    I didn't suspect the limit screws because if I moved the derailer by hand, I could get all the gears but I checked that anyway, yep, it was fine.

I pulled all the cables and they were fine, when slected 8 and 9 there is plenty of slack

I liked the idea of the b tension screw and so adjusted that, but that didnt make any difference.

I then remvoed the chain and it still doesnt get the top two gears. I think that the 4 rivits holding it together are squeezed up too tight and when the assy moves to 8 and 9 geras, teh spring doesnt ahve as much tension on it. because the rivits are just that bit too tight, the spring cant over come the friction and so it cant get the gears.

I shall contact teh LBS and see what the go is

Hay Ewe

for maintenance planning ask me, for spelling and gramma, ask a dictionary

mtbr member
    Been having the same issues. Take the mech off the bike, (so no chain, no cable) and the action feels really notchy plus the spring tension is not sufficient to pull the parallellogram onto the high limit stop.

I bought mine 6 months ago (on special offer), but only fitted it recently. Did 3 rides in Wales in appalling weather and by halfway through no.2, the only way it would shift up is by kicking it or hopping the back wheel heavily., so it hardly looks new now. Be difficult for me to send it back to CRC.

A proper clean and lube has helped. I've also tried a pin punch/hammer in the riveted over end of the pivots to try and create a little more play in it.

Currently it work OK on the stand (still slow shifting from 8 to 9), but we'll have to see what happens when it gets wet again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I didnt make it to the shop on saturday so it will be this saturday for sure
    I have thought about drilling out the rivits and replacing with Hi-Loks and reduced head Kay-Loks (aviation nuts and bolts) but will see what the shop can do first.

thanks for the feed back, seems a few people are having problems with them

Hay Ewe

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

X9 shifting problem to highest gear

I have noticed that I cannot get the highest gear to align perfectly with my last 2 SRAM X9 rear der. on Titus Motolite 2005.
    After getting der. into spokes today I replaced the hanger with a new one and then fitted the same 2010 X9 der. with new limit screw taken off old Sram X9 der.(its the same length) to replace the bent original one.
    Without chain & cable too I set up the der. low limit screw so that the upper jockey wheel is perfectly aligned with largest cog on cluster. With the low limit screw at this setting it prevents the der. from aligning with the smallest cog(even with high limit screw backed out)
    The low limit screw hits the stop preventing the der. from moving across to highest gear(smallest cog)
    The closest it can get is aligned with second smallest cog.
    The hanger is not bent, nor is the frame.
    I took a set of photos to illustrate the above.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New X9 Rear Der - Cant Get All Gears-low-limit-screw-hits-stop-lowest-gear.jpg  

New X9 Rear Der - Cant Get All Gears-low-limit-screw-hits-stop.jpg  

New X9 Rear Der - Cant Get All Gears-x9-low-limit-setting.jpg  

New X9 Rear Der - Cant Get All Gears-new-derailleur-hanger.jpg  

New X9 Rear Der - Cant Get All Gears-x9-high-limit-setting.jpg  

Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here is your answer http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=575854
    You need a washer(fatty one, or two) between the RD and your frame...and you re done

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Washer

Quote Originally Posted by cddaraa
    Here is your answer http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=575854
    You need a washer(fatty one, or two) between the RD and your frame...and you re done
    Thanks for the link, will take a dremel to my "old" derailleur....
    Bought a new one too.......
    I used to put a washer in between mounting bolt and hanger when my old Shimano derailleurs springs wore out so they would not shift into highest gear any more.....
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    so I made it tot eh LBS on saturday and Colin looked at it, checked the hangar wasnt bent, alignemnt with the rear wheel was spot on.

we then used to Wutrh penetrating dry lube in all the pivot points. He then worked it through all the gears and it came good, would drop in to the smallest on the rear, every time and in all three chain rings.

Sudnays ride was on the road, but it was set and although I was toasted after wards (the third day of three big / hard ones) it did still drop in to the smallest.

It might be a case of keeping it well lubed with a pressurised spay to get in there and force the lube in. If it does become problematic I shall follow it up further.

Hay Ewe

Members who have read this thread: 0