New SRAM X1 Carbon Crank- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

New SRAM X1 Carbon Crank

Spotted this on the 2017 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL - Carbon version of the X1 crank. Nothing on SRAM's site or anything else I can find.

Name:  X1 Carbon Crank.jpg
Views: 16936
Size:  43.7 KB

Wonder how it compares to XX1 and X01 weight and dollar wise??

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    There is said to be no difference apart from cosmetics between the old X01 and XX1 etc crank arms. I'd bet this crank is either based on the older gen carbon design or is the same as the new X01 but with different graphics.

The use of a spider will add a chunk of weight on paper but I'd be surprised if this couldn't be swapped for a direct mount Eagle or any GXP compatible chainring.

Will be interesting to see if it's OEM only.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The photo I posted is from the "women's" 9.8 SL, the "men's" version shows a spider less crank. Not sure why they look different. See men's below.

Name:  X1 Carbon Crank2.jpg
Views: 17457
Size:  41.1 KB

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Looks like a direct mount chainring in the last photo and a spider mounted chainring on the first photo. The Trek spec on both states "Crank SRAM X1 Carbon, 32T Direct Mount X-Sync" so I guess the first photo is an error.

The chainring design on the last photo doesn't look like the current direct mount alloy design either (assuming the photo is correct spec). Guessing it's the steel version which will increase weight but reduce cost.

As a "complete" SRAM crankset using the spider mount or direct mount steel chainring option will be heavier than the SRAM variant that uses an equivalent direct mount alloy chainring even if the arms weigh the same. Hence the on paper weight spec with favour the latter.
    Last edited by avi66; 07-01-2016 at 02:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I find the most interesting thing is the complete lack of announcement anywhere. Not sure what the availability of the new Top Fuel's are but it would be interesting to see what is going on. Or an announcement by SRAM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jas76 View Post
    I find the most interesting thing is the complete lack of announcement anywhere. Not sure what the availability of the new Top Fuel's are but it would be interesting to see what is going on. Or an announcement by SRAM.

My guess is Trek has done an OEM deal with Sram and this won't be offered as a standard retail product by Sram. That said surplus OEM product often finds its way into the the retail channel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Here it is again but OE fitment on new Canyon Spectral. Referred to as "Eagle X1" so seems to be fitted with Eagle direct mount chain ring.
    Still nothing official from SRAM that I can find.

Name:  SRAM X1 Carbon.jpg
Views: 13177
Size:  8.9 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Why nobody is posting Sram cranks with custom chainrings?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    wonder if SRAM fixed the defective pedal inserts on this "newer and better" crank.

I <3 dirt
    I had my hands on a 175mm with 30t direct mount X1 Carbon crank. Weight 560g

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I know this post is a couple months old, but I wonder if this new X1 crank shares DNA with the new Descendant carbon crank.
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just purchased a 2017 Devinci Troy built up with X01 Eagle, using the X1 carbon crank arms with a 34T Eagle ring. Weight 572g
    New SRAM X1 Carbon Crank-x1_carbon_cranks_scales.jpg

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
    My guess is Trek has done an OEM deal with Sram and this won't be offered as a standard retail product by Sram. That said surplus OEM product often finds its way into the the retail channel.
    Correct. This is SRAMs "Non Series" crankset: Not for individual sale.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Shredding since 1981
    Oct 2016

2017 Hightower CC XO1+ came with X1 Crank Instead of XO1

I'm a bit miffed about my new 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower CC XO1+ arriving with one of these OEM X1 Carbon cranksets. The Santa Cruz website specs this model with "SRAM X01 Eagle Carbon Cranks". Geez, even the model name for the bike has XO1 in it!

Last night on my second ride on the new bike, one of my buddies was checking out my new bike, noticed the cranks and said "Oh, it comes with X1 drivetrain." That's when I looked closer and realized something was amiss.

My LBS called Santa Cruz and was told their website has a typo and the model now comes with the X1 Carbon crankset. My LBS is on my side and thinks if they say XO1 Eagle Carbon cranks it should come with XO1 Eagle Carbon cranks.

What I don't get is why SRAM would call this carbon crankset X1 in the first place when everything on the SRAM site indicates that the X1 cranks are aluminum. I have to figure it is just not of the same quality as XO1 or SRAM would put the XO1 name on it.

I was searching around the internet looking to see if there's much of a difference. between the two cranks. Closest thing I could find was a photo of the XO1 Eagle crankset being weighed at 520 grams. This is 52 grams lighter than the X1 Carbon crankset somebody posted a pic of a few posts up. Maybe there is a difference in chainring size, but hard to see that making up for nearly a 10% difference in weight.

So far I'm not convinced the two cranksets are the same with the exception of graphics. Perhaps the OEM X1 Carbon is built a little heavier to reduce warranty claims for manufacturers, but more likely it is heavier because cheaper materials were used. Perhaps they had a run of XO1s with denser foam cores that made them heavier and are blowing them out to manufacturers at a discount. Whatever the reason, SRAM is not comfortable calling them XO1. It may be a fine crank, but it certainly does not have the same bling quality as XO1 which is part of what we pay for when buy bikes spec'ed with XO1 components. New SRAM X1 Carbon Crank-sram-x01-eagle-12speed-actual-weights-bikerumor01-600x400.jpg

I <3 dirt
    First, Santa Cruz and most likely every company states that "spec is subject to change without notice".

As far as I know the X1 carbon crank is OE spec only. I'm guessing they're a foam core crank like the old 10/11 speed carbon crank.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OneOcean View Post
    I'm a bit miffed about my new 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower CC XO1+ arriving with one of these OEM X1 Carbon cranksets. The Santa Cruz website specs this model with "SRAM X01 Eagle Carbon Cranks". Geez, even the model name for the bike has XO1 in it!

Last night on my second ride on the new bike, one of my buddies was checking out my new bike, noticed the cranks and said "Oh, it comes with X1 drivetrain." That's when I looked closer and realized something was amiss.

My LBS called Santa Cruz and was told their website has a typo and the model now comes with the X1 Carbon crankset. My LBS is on my side and thinks if they say XO1 Eagle Carbon cranks it should come with XO1 Eagle Carbon cranks.

What I don't get is why SRAM would call this carbon crankset X1 in the first place when everything on the SRAM site indicates that the X1 cranks are aluminum. I have to figure it is just not of the same quality as XO1 or SRAM would put the XO1 name on it.

I was searching around the internet looking to see if there's much of a difference. between the two cranks. Closest thing I could find was a photo of the XO1 Eagle crankset being weighed at 520 grams. This is 52 grams lighter than the X1 Carbon crankset somebody posted a pic of a few posts up. Maybe there is a difference in chainring size, but hard to see that making up for nearly a 10% difference in weight.

So far I'm not convinced the two cranksets are the same with the exception of graphics. Perhaps the OEM X1 Carbon is built a little heavier to reduce warranty claims for manufacturers, but more likely it is heavier because cheaper materials were used. Perhaps they had a run of XO1s with denser foam cores that made them heavier and are blowing them out to manufacturers at a discount. Whatever the reason, SRAM is not comfortable calling them XO1. It may be a fine crank, but it certainly does not have the same bling quality as XO1 which is part of what we pay for when buy bikes spec'ed with XO1 components. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sram-X01-eagle-12speed-actual-weights-on-bikerumor01-600x400.jpg 
Views:	4743 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	1106040
    If you are not happy with it, and it wasn't what you paid for--and there is still a valid return period then seriously consider returning the bike for a refund. Tell them there is no typo in the return policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shredding since 1981
    Oct 2016
    My local bike shop has worked out a solution with Santa Cruz. It's gonna cost me some money, but I'm planning on upgrading the crankset to an XX1, saving about 100 grams (1/4 lb) and will keep the X1 Carbon crank as a back-up so anyone in my group with similar drivetrains won't have to miss a ride if they have a crank failure.

Hopefully SC updates their website to reflect this new crankset for the model so there's no more confusion. I can't imagine it taking some IT person more than 5 minutes but for all the TPP reports.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by OneOcean View Post
    It's gonna cost me some money, but I'm planning on upgrading the crankset to an XX1, saving about 100 grams (1/4 lb)
    My old X01 carbon GXP crank with 32t (not eagle) direct chainring weighed in at 544g with boots and pedal washers. My new XX1 Eagle GXP crank with matching 32t Eagle chainring weighs 487g with boots and pedal washers a reduction of 57g.

If you're really saving 100g the X1 carbon+chainring must be heavier than the old X01 carbon with a direct mount chainring.

I <3 dirt
    Should of gotten a next sl crank

Shredding since 1981
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
    My old X01 carbon GXP crank with 32t (not eagle) direct chainring weighed in at 544g with boots and pedal washers. My new XX1 Eagle GXP crank with matching 32t Eagle chainring weighs 487g with boots and pedal washers a reduction of 57g.

If you're really saving 100g the X1 carbon+chainring must be heavier than the old X01 carbon with a direct mount chainring.

The X1 Carbon crankset with chainring weighs 572g per the photo posted above in this thread. So yes, it is heavier than the XO1 crankset also shown above. With your boots and pedal washers, your XX1 Eagle crankset is 85g less than the X1 Carbon crankset. I'd estimate your boots and pedal washers add about 24g, so it is fair to assume one could save about 100g by swapping out the X1 Carbon to the XX1 Eagle crankset.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    I'm guessing they're a foam core crank like the old 10/11 speed carbon crank.
    Exactly. Old design marked with various graphics and mated to various chainrings or spiders. And they will give the bulk buyers an option of a stamped steel chainring to reduce the price another buck or two. Specialized tends to be the most open with this practice by listing these things on the specs as "custom for specialized" or assigning them numerical model names that don't correspond to anything else. Santa cruz screwed up or was being evasive.

IMO, the cost to upgrade cranks and drop one once or two is rarely worth the cost. People should be way more pissed about the shitty hubs and poor build quality of the wheels that $4-6k bikes usually come with.

mtbr member
    I weighed the X1 crank off my new Hightower and it was 545 grams for 175 with a 30T so about 20 grams heavier than an XO1 setup. Not really that big of a difference.

Shredding since 1981
    Oct 2016
    I received the XX1 crankset to replace the X1 Carbon crankset a couple days ago. I weighed both on the same scale with the same exact 30T Eagle boost chainring and no crank boots. The Park shop scale is designed for heavier loads so only accurate for kg to two decimal places.

XX1 = .46kg (460g)
    X1 Carbon = .56kg (560g)

Other people's measurements indicate the XO1 crankset weighs right around midway between the XX1 and the X1.

Bottom line: The X1 Carbon is about 50g heavier than the XO1 and about 100G heavier than the XX1.

New SRAM X1 Carbon Crank-photo-nov-29-10-55-24-am.jpg
    New SRAM X1 Carbon Crank-photo-dec-01-2-33-21-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Do you want to sell those x1 carbon cranks?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I noticed this as well on my Hightower and contacted both SRAM and Santa Cruz. The response I got from both was nearly the same, both indicated the crank arms themselves are identical to the X01 arms. The difference is in the spindle which on the X1 Eagle Carbon cranks is a bit 'beefier' and so they called them a different model than the X01 cranks. I of course have no way to verify that and can only take the companies at thier word but based on The scale weight photos that seems to jive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by brennenhuff View Post
    I noticed this as well on my Hightower and contacted both SRAM and Santa Cruz. The response I got from both was nearly the same, both indicated the crank arms themselves are identical to the X01 arms. The difference is in the spindle which on the X1 Eagle Carbon cranks is a bit 'beefier' and so they called them a different model than the X01 cranks. I of course have no way to verify that and can only take the companies at thier word but based on The scale weight photos that seems to jive.
    Visually the GXP spindles on both look identical and appear to be made of the same material i.e. steel. The actual spindle sounds like the least likely component to be different.

I suspect the bottom line as already mentioned above is the use of cheaper material and manufacturing process for the crank arms to achieve a lower OEM price point that also adds weight.

This enables the manufacturer put a tick in the "SRAM Eagle Carbon crank" box on the spec sheet whilst also cutting cost relative to using X01 or XX1 Eagle spec cranks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    In case anyone wanted to pickup a set of these. I have been tracking this on eBay for a few weeks. They originally listed them at $215. They are down to $180 now.

Warning: New seller from China with NO feedback.
    2017 NEW SRAM X1 1X11 Speed GXP Carbon Cranset with Direct Mount Chainring | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Another eBay auction with a good seller rating.
    SRAM X1 MTB Carbon Crankset - 175mm 30t GXP, X-Sync, 11 Speed | eBay

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I got a new/take-off set of these off of eBay for about $150 which is a whole lot less than the $400 I paid for my X01 Eagle cranks. Apart from graphics they sure look a whole lot alike. Saving $250 at the expense of ~50g is something I can certainly live with.

FWIW the chainrings between X1 and X01 Eagle are different (although you can obviously fix this) - X01 comes with the CNC ring and X1 comes with the GX cold-forged ring.

Gears4Good.org
    I'd guess the X1 carbon is the same as the Descendant carbon, based on weight and looks.