New SRAM X-7 2x10 Group- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

New SRAM X-7 2x10 Group

Finally 2x10 that most people can afford.....

http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...o-the-mix_6781

mtbr member
    Anything on prices?
    - Just livin' the dream -

Former Bike Wrench
    Haven't seen from Shimano or SRAM a 2 x 10 crankset that can run a bash yet...concerning for those of use who ride with many log crossings (I've been running 2 x 9 with a lightweight bash since 2003)

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mblock
    Finally 2x10 that most people can afford.....

http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...o-the-mix_6781
    Awesome! More gears, and less gearing range

Trail Junkie
    you can actually modify the ring to run a bash on 2x10/3x10, but you need longer chainring bolts. The only area that you may run into problems is getting the proper size bash that isn't smaller than the rings ie. 36T, 40T, and 42T. The XX was originally introduced to target the XC racing scene, but now that all the mid-to-high tiers of SRAM are getting 2x10, I am sure companies will catch on fairly quick to aftermarket accessories such as a bash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Awesome! More gears, and less gearing range
    do your research with a 2x10 you have less gear overlap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    Boo hoo Less overlap will not get me over THAT HILL. 26/36 sucks when I need 22/34 to climb, and would not have anything against 22/36 or even 20/36.

Range > All.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    I'm not sure how you are defining the amount of overlap, or what the point of that even is. Is your point that with a 3x9 setup, you have more ratios available in two or more rings? So what? You'd have even less overlap (zero, actually) on any single ring setup.

On to relevant info, neither X-7 (pg1050) cassette (11-32 or 12-36) has as much range as an 11-34 9 speed cassette.

If your point is about the spread of the front rings, there is definitely less range than with almost any standard 3x setup.

I agree that a dedicated 2x system is a good idea. The "2" part of "2x10" is a great idea. I've been running 2x9 for a long time. The "10" part is pretty stupid if you are going to use a cassette with LESS range than what is available in 9 speed. Thus my comment "more gears, less range".

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    reducing the range does not make any sense whatsoever, i agree.

and the supposed advantages (less front shifting) all depends on the terrain and the rider.

typical example of marketing pulling the money out of our pockets. therefore shimano has been that hesitant to come up with 10 speed for MTB.

BTW, if i want to run double front i can already do it today. you even can get 11-36 9 speed cassettes!

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    They're still offering a 3 ring crank for X.9 and probably X.7 as well. Maybe X.O, though that has always been more of a race group. X.X might shift it into a more "trail" category though. IDK.

I too like having a bash guard, but I'm sure people will be able to figure out aftermarket bashes with longer bolts, as mentioned. Not as strong, maybe, but you can still run a 3 ring crank with two rings and a bash, like tons of people are already doing. The great thing is now you have more double specific front shifters and derailleurs.

Trail Junkie
    the 2x10 may not be for everyone, they are going to offer it 3x10 as well, and eventually there will be bashguards that will support the larger ring setups with their new system. SRAM systems won't be the end all to be all, but they will definitely manipulate the market in their favor. To think that these initial gear combos will be all that they offer is even a dumb thought. They will most likely offer, and if they don't, aftermarket companies like Blackspire will....offer rings to fit your needs. The 2x10 is a great system, does it have distinct advantages over a 2x9..not necessarily, but the FDs, cassettes, and chainrings (advanced ramping to dual-engage rings before release) are superiour. This is just the initial bringing of their "families" they will most likely expand, and to cover all riding disciplines. SRAM has been pretty good, and SMART about bringing products to the market, and they will continue to do so, there is no reason to think otherwise.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver
    SRAM has been pretty good, and SMART about bringing products to the market, and they will continue to do so, there is no reason to think otherwise.
    Smart as in profitable? Definitely. Smart as in addressing what is really needed and wanted? I'm not so sure. The 10 speed issue aside, I am floored that they have basically killed gripshift. I heard rumor a while back that there would be a GS option for xx, but I have not heard anything since.I have not seen any mention of it for 10 speed x-7, x-9, x-0. Totally crapped the bed on this one, IMO.

I used to be really stoked about SRAM, but lately, not so much so.

Trail Junkie
    In terms of GS, you are right..they have invested R&D elsewhere, but the majority of riders use triggers...and I understand that it doesn't mean there isn't a market for GS and it should be abandoned all together. You have to understand that this is the introduction of the 2011 lines that SRAM is introducing, that doesn't mean that it is all they are going to make. Most likely there will be at least 1 GS for the 2x10 system..now this is just speculation, but its pretty fair to say they do a good job of filling the market with SMART components. By smart I mean Di.R.T, Matchmaker, ZLT etc. They are innovating in areas that Shimano hasn't hasn't been able to touch...and Shimano has been in bikes for oh at least 30yrs? I praise SRAM right now b/c they are doing all the right things in my eyes. Granted they aren't a young company either, but they are becoming very dominate in the bike world, not to mention how much money they are putting back into the biking communities.

I just feel SRAM right now is doing more Product-wise and socially, and I support them.

I think the 2x10 is great, I have been running 2x9 for quite a while and love it, but I can see benefits with the 2x10 system.

Members who have read this thread: 0