New SRAM 2x10 XO 24/38t went on sale at Universal Cycles- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

New SRAM 2x10 XO 24/38t went on sale at Universal Cycles

Just bought a set for my XO cranks. Been waiting a long time for this. At first, I wasn't sure on the BCD, but it doesn't matter. Just pull the old set and install the new set.
    I^2xR

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikin View Post
    Just bought a set for my XO cranks. Been waiting a long time for this. At first, I wasn't sure on the BCD, but it doesn't matter. Just pull the old set and install the new set.
    Yup, ordered my X0 set bright and early this morning. Should ship this afternoon and be here mid-next week. They are 64/104 BCD rings. You do get the spider, carbon bash adn 2 rings.
    I've got the Specialized custom SRAM S2200 crank which is basically an unbranded carbon X0 crank with 64/104 bcd and the bash but it has el-cheapo rings which only have a total of 2 downshift gates and only 2 pin ramps for upshifts. I wanted the tru X-Glide X0 rings to bring my crank up to snuff with the real branded X0. It is just an easy spider change.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM0031 View Post
    Yup, ordered my X0 set bright and early this morning. Should ship this afternoon and be here mid-next week. They are 64/104 BCD rings. You do get the spider, carbon bash adn 2 rings.
    I've got the Specialized custom SRAM S2200 crank which is basically an unbranded carbon X0 crank with 64/104 bcd and the bash but it has el-cheapo rings which only have a total of 2 downshift gates and only 2 pin ramps for upshifts. I wanted the tru X-Glide X0 rings to bring my crank up to snuff with the real branded X0. It is just an easy spider change.
    Yeah, I just got the email confirming my order ships out today.
    I^2xR

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I assume the bash bolts directly to the big ring but that would leave little space between the crank arm and the bash. Possibly impeding pedaling... but probably not.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I^2xR

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I assume the bash bolts directly to the big ring but that would leave little space between the crank arm and the bash. Possibly impeding pedaling... but probably not.
    The spider probably will not be exactly as pictured. Here is how the bash mounts to mine:

There is an indentation for the bash to sit. I see what you are saying. My rings are set up as 64/104 bcd with the bash so that is probably how the spider will show up to accept the bash. That photo shows the standard 2x10 spider and x9 ringset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New SRAM 2x10 XO 24/38t went on sale at Universal Cycles-img_0398.jpg  

mtbr member
    The spider probably will not be exactly as pictured. Here is how the bash mounts to mine:

There is an indentation for the bash to sit. I see what you are saying. My rings are set up as 64/104 bcd with the bash so that is probably how the spider will show up to accept the bash. That photo shows the standard 2x10 spider and x9 ringset.
    In you picture the bash sits flush with the spider body because of the taper in the spider arm where the bolt goes. In the Universal cycles picture its hard to see where the bash would fit. On top of the spider or underneath? It doesn't look like it would mate right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ill find out Wednesday when the parts arrive. Ill post a photo.
    I^2xR

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    In you picture the bash sits flush with the spider body because of the taper in the spider arm where the bolt goes. In the Universal cycles picture its hard to see where the bash would fit. On top of the spider or underneath? It doesn't look like it would mate right.
    Right. Thats what I meant by "indentation" What the conversion kit will likely be will be a 3x10 spider (which is what I have in my pic) and there will be room for 2 rings and the bash with the 64/104 bcd standard.

Again, the photo of the conversion kit is of the standard 2x10 x9 ringset. I don't believe the spider will be the same of course I could be wrong. I have not seen any real photos of the "actual" product. Like "bikin" I will have my X0 set in hand no later than Wed. the 28th so I'll try and get some photos up.
    Keep in mind though the only way to run the bash if with a 3x10 spider. The SRAM 2x10 are 80/120 bcd and the spiders do not and will not allow for a spider. Of course SRAM could have re-engineered something...sh**...I don't know we'll see what shows up at my house Wed. Whatever it is will be a simple spider swap which is a great thing about SRAM products.

mtbr member
    I almost got a free set but I F***Ed myself. Ordered them the morning they were available, got an email 2 hours later staying they weren't in stock, so I called them and they said they would refund me. They process the refund and then later in the day I get an email saying my order has shipped. So I stupidly/honestly call them and ask what's going on, the person I spoke with said they shipped but your order has been refunded already, I'll recharge your card now or we can cancel them. DAMN!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    I almost got a free set but I F***Ed myself. Ordered them the morning they were available, got an email 2 hours later staying they weren't in stock, so I called them and they said they would refund me. They process the refund and then later in the day I get an email saying my order has shipped. So I stupidly/honestly call them and ask what's going on, the person I spoke with said they shipped but your order has been refunded already, I'll recharge your card now or we can cancel them. DAMN!!!
    That sucks. Boo!

On another note, I'm very curious about how the bash mounts up.
    I^2xR

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well my set showed up a day early and should be sitting on my front porch when I get home today. Just got delivery confirmation. I'll try and get some pics up when I get everything opened up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Well my set showed up a day early and should be sitting on my front porch when I get home today. Just got delivery confirmation. I'll try and get some pics up when I get everything opened up.
    Nice! Yeah, post them pics up. Really curious about the bash mounting.
    I^2xR

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Photo Time

As promised here is the un-boxing photos for my X0 38/24 set. As I predicted the rings and bash are mounted on the recessed 3x10 spider labled as a GXP 2x10. The rings do appear to be the actual x-glide rings. The recessed milling on the large ring is now polished like the X0 rings that come on the cranksets. However, X7, X9 and X0 cranks all share the same darn rings and what the extra price comes down to is apparently a ligher/stiffer spider and somewhat lighter ring set. The set is feather-light. Picked up the package when I got home and felt as nothing was in it. In the box is the ring set (comes pre assembled with the bash) and the 3 mounting bolts to attach the spider onto the SRAM crank arm. Here are the photos!! Gonna mount these suckers this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New SRAM 2x10 XO 24/38t went on sale at Universal Cycles-dsc00353.jpg  

New SRAM 2x10 XO 24/38t went on sale at Universal Cycles-dsc00354.jpg  

New SRAM 2x10 XO 24/38t went on sale at Universal Cycles-dsc00356.jpg  

New SRAM 2x10 XO 24/38t went on sale at Universal Cycles-dsc00358.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the photos. Now, I'm wondering if my X0 2x10 high mount front derailleur will hit the bash when I shift to the big ring. Oh boy.
    I^2xR

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the photos. Now, I'm wondering if my X0 2x10 high mount front derailleur will hit the bash when I shift to the big ring. Oh boy.
    You'll be fine. Is it direct high mount or seat tube clamp mounted? If seattube you can take the tension off the cable and move the derailleur up or down a bit to clear the bash. The rest is all simple low and high limit adjustments and then proper indexing/cable tension adjustments. FYI...2x10 systems seem to like to operate with a good bit more cable tension than the traditional 3x9 systems...or at least thats what I have noticed in my personal experiences. I have had some minor chain suck when reducing a little cable tension and the combo of the cheap non-ramped rings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You'll be fine. Is it direct high mount or seat tube clamp mounted? If seattube you can take the tension off the cable and move the derailleur up or down a bit to clear the bash. The rest is all simple low and high limit adjustments and then proper indexing/cable tension adjustments. FYI...2x10 systems seem to like to operate with a good bit more cable tension than the traditional 3x9 systems...or at least thats what I have noticed in my personal experiences. I have had some minor chain suck when reducing a little cable tension and the combo of the cheap non-ramped rings.
    It's a direct mount. From your photos it looks like the bash is going to interfere with the derailleur height. If I move the derailleur up, its going to cause chain rub as the chain enters the cage in small ring/small cog. We'll see.

I should have my package waiting for me at the door by the time I get off work
    I^2xR

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What is the bash guard made of? It almost looks to be made of CF in your pic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    You did the *right* thing. Pat yourself on the back for making the right decision and don't question it the next time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    What is the bash guard made of? It almost looks to be made of CF in your pic.
    Carbon fiber as per SRAM...could be a faux cf though. It seems pretty durable. I've hit the one on my bike on a few logs and it's come out like a champ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Bikin, did you get your ringset? Are you using a SRAM chain? I'm guessing the "sram chain only" warning on the rings is kind of a hoax. My bike is spec'd with a KMC x10 which will comply with sram 10 spd. Its a newer bike with just over 100 miles on it so I'd hate to plunk down another $70 for an actual Sram chain. Just curious.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Bikin, did you get your ringset? Are you using a SRAM chain? I'm guessing the "sram chain only" warning on the rings is kind of a hoax. My bike is spec'd with a KMC x10 which will comply with sram 10 spd. Its a newer bike with just over 100 miles on it so I'd hate to plunk down another $70 for an actual Sram chain. Just curious.
    Yes, the ringset came in. I'm using a SRAM chain,too. I don't see why they put the warning on there. Unless there's a significant difference between the plates of each chain, I'm going to ignore it. What torque value did you use for the three bolts? I'll be installing them tomorrow.
    I^2xR

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes, the ringset came in. I'm using a SRAM chain,too. I don't see why they put the warning on there. Unless there's a significant difference between the plates of each chain, I'm going to ignore it. What torque value did you use for the three bolts? I'll be installing them tomorrow.
    I actually have not installed mine yet. My wife and I have an 8 week old at home...so wrenching on my bikes and actually riding them has been a bit limited lately.
    I don't see torque specs for the 3 little bolts that hold the spider on on the installation instructions on SRAMs site. I'm going to treat them as brake rotor bolts and dab a little of the mild blue Loctite on them and hand torque them on.
    Actually I'll probably check to see if the stock ones have threadlocker on them when I take them out. If not then I'll just grease the bolts and still hand torque them just as you would brake rotor bolts.
    I'm also gonna pick up some waterproof grease and go ahead and re-coat my crank spindle while I have it out since they usually don't do the greatest job of that at the factory, and also check my BB cups to make sure they don't need to be snugged up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    FYI here is the actual SRAM install docs for cranks and what torque settings they do list:

http://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi..._cranksets.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Installation...

Mad easy install earlier this afternoon. SRAM cranks are the best! Single key bolt to tighten and thats it!.
    FYI I could locate specs for torque on the 3 little T25 bolts that hold the spider on. However, they are very short and the new ones appeared to have some sort of thread-lock coating on them. I applied just a slight dab of grease to each of them for good measure and hand torqued them until tight.
    Regreased my gutter seals on my BB and also the spindle and it's splines etc. Cleaned accumulated muck of the crank arms and bb faces.
    The new rings shift amazing! Remember, I was coming from the Specialized stock 38/24 which is the last picture in this post reply. Although they are the 38/24 gearing you will notice the severe lack of multiple shift ramps/pinnings etc. compared to the true X0 rings I posted pics of earlier.
    These were installed on my SRAM S2200 which is an unbranded X0 crankset.

Let me know if you have questions.!
    I did have to do some minor tuning on the front derail with limit screws etc. Chainline is perfect!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New SRAM 2x10 XO 24/38t went on sale at Universal Cycles-img_0433.jpg  

New SRAM 2x10 XO 24/38t went on sale at Universal Cycles-img_0434.jpg  

New SRAM 2x10 XO 24/38t went on sale at Universal Cycles-img_0435.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    FYI - X9 and X0 conversion kits in stock @ Universal Cycles:

Universal Cycles -- Sram XO & X.9 Chainring Sets with Guard

mtbr member
    Does anybody know if you can put the XO ring set on an X9 crank arm? Or do I need to stick with the X9 ring set? They both seem to have the same chainline and 104/64 BCD.
    '12 Anthem X29 Custom Build
    '11 Masi Evolution Custom Build

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamic161 View Post
    Does anybody know if you can put the XO ring set on an X9 crank arm? Or do I need to stick with the X9 ring set? They both seem to have the same chainline and 104/64 BCD.
    It will fit. The rings are the same on both sets. The $15 price difference you see is between spiders. Even the way the are listed on the sram website says "38/24 ringset with X9 GXP spider"

and then again 38/24 ringset with X0 GXP spider.

$15 upcharge gets you a little bit lighter and stiffer spider. Regardless the whole set will bolt right up to x7, x9 or x0 crankset. They have always advertised the X0 spider as being stiffer than even XX. Don't know if thats true cause I've never ridden an XX crankset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It will fit. The rings are the same on both sets. The $15 price difference you see is between spiders. Even the way the are listed on the sram website says "38/24 ringset with X9 GXP spider"

and then again 38/24 ringset with X0 GXP spider.

$15 upcharge gets you a little bit lighter and stiffer spider. Regardless the whole set will bolt right up to x7, x9 or x0 crankset. They have always advertised the X0 spider as being stiffer than even XX. Don't know if thats true cause I've never ridden an XX crankset.
    Careful with the mention of the x7 line - I haven't fondled one, but the pics on SRAM's site make it look like the x7 cranks have an integrated spider/crank. So, yes, you will be able to convert your 22/36 to 24/38 and vice versa, but the 26/39 and 28/42 cranks have a different BCD, which means you'd need an entire new set of cranks if wanting to convert between, say, 26/39 and 24/28.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm only going off of the pic in this link from SRAM:

SRAM X7 2X10 Crank | SRAM

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eds924 View Post
    Careful with the mention of the x7 line - I haven't fondled one, but the pics on SRAM's site make it look like the x7 cranks have an integrated spider/crank. So, yes, you will be able to convert your 22/36 to 24/38 and vice versa, but the 26/39 and 28/42 cranks have a different BCD, which means you'd need an entire new set of cranks if wanting to convert between, say, 26/39 and 24/28.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm only going off of the pic in this link from SRAM:

SRAM X7 2X10 Crank | SRAM
    Oops my mistake. You are correct. x9 and x0 have the removable spiders. My apologies. However, what I did mention about the $15 price difference in the ringsets is the spider itself. I do know the photo that Universal Cycles has up on their site is incorrect. See my photos that I posted earlier in this thread for what everything actually looks like.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Oops my mistake. You are correct. x9 and x0 have the removable spiders. My apologies. However, what I did mention about the $15 price difference in the ringsets is the spider itself. I do know the photo that Universal Cycles has up on their site is incorrect. See my photos that I posted earlier in this thread for what everything actually looks like.
    No biggie - just didn't want any x7 owners lead astray

I had a little on-line chat with Universal Cycles in September. They confirmed that their description wasn't accurate and assured me that the package came with bash, rings, AND spider (which you obviously confirmed, too - which is nice to know that we have actual testimony to that effect).

I ordered an x9 set of 24/38 conversion today. I'll install and try to post pics, too (haven't tried the whole posting pictures deal yet...time to bite the bullet!)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys! I think I'll order the XO 24/38.
    '12 Anthem X29 Custom Build
    '11 Masi Evolution Custom Build

mtbr member
    For whatever reason there are two different crankset models that SRAM groups under "X7". The S1400 does have a removable spider and is almost identical to the X9 crankset

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I took my X7 apart last night looking for a creak/click that I didn't get fixed.

So as boomn says i t is a separate spider from the crank, so I ordered one today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    For whatever reason there are two different crankset models that SRAM groups under "X7". The S1400 does have a removable spider and is almost identical to the X9 crankset
    Weird, but none-the-less awesome! Nice that there's options! Thanks for the correction/information.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the post - I've been waiting for these for a while.

I see a lot of talk about compatibility with X7 - can anyone verify that it is indeed compatible? What about the derailleur vs. the bash guard? I'm trying to get more into maintaining my own bike and am still pretty new at it, and I don't want to make a hasty purchase - thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ayden View Post
    Thanks for the post - I've been waiting for these for a while.

I see a lot of talk about compatibility with X7 - can anyone verify that it is indeed compatible? What about the derailleur vs. the bash guard? I'm trying to get more into maintaining my own bike and am still pretty new at it, and I don't want to make a hasty purchase - thanks in advance!
    Couldn't wait - went to my LBS and bought a set through them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I switched mine out on an X7, to the X9 24/38. Seems fine I didnt shorten my chain or adjust the DR, shifts fine has a little chain drag w/ DR and chain drops. So need to go ahead and adjust.

mtbr member
    Was looking at ordering "2x10 Chainring Conversion Kit All Mtn Guard 36-22 with X0 BB30 Spider 49 Chainline 104/64 BCD" though a retailer here in NZ this morning. Recieved an email from them "some bad news sorry, sram nz went to order the part and sram are no longer producing it!" Hope this is not correct as still listed on srams site SRAM 2x10 Chainring Conversion Kit | SRAM
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Ordered yesterday

After reading the post I call Universal Cycles and had great customer service from Mark. I have a BB30 set of the custom 24/38t 2x10 cranks from SRAM (s2200 = unbranded XO) on my 2011 Spec SJ Expert. I've been looking to replace the rings and this seemed like my best option. The ringset from Universal says GXP on it but since it comes with the spider I can just swap it over and install with the BB30 crank arms/spindle I have. There will most likely be a carbon bash guard for sale if someone is interested. Thanks to all who found these available as it saved me 50% cost of buying a new set of cranks online.
    Hillslayer
    --------------------------------------------------
    "What man is a man who does not make the world better?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So how is that 24/38 gearing working out for you guys?

Personally, I prefer the 22/33 that you get with the standard triple (replacing the big ring with a bashguard). This allows me to stay in the 33 the vast majority of the time and just use the granny for the really steep climbs, and the 22T granny is sometimes nice to have on a 29er. I ride slower technical trails so the 33-11 provides plenty of top speed for me. I think with the 24/38 I'd be doing a lot more front shifting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    So how is that 24/38 gearing working out for you guys?

Personally, I prefer the 22/33 that you get with the standard triple (replacing the big ring with a bashguard). This allows me to stay in the 33 the vast majority of the time and just use the granny for the really steep climbs, and the 22T granny is sometimes nice to have on a 29er. I ride slower technical trails so the 33-11 provides plenty of top speed for me. I think with the 24/38 I'd be doing a lot more front shifting.
    I agree. 24/38 wouldn't work for me either. But, the main benefit to this change is that the spider has the 64/104 BCD's so you can now take your old 2x crank and convert it to 22/33 or whatever you want with the old standard rings. I said from the start that the 80/120 BCD doubles didn't make sense, and now SRAM is just fixing their mistake (at the customers expense).

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the X.0 24/38 spider will work without the bash guard? Would it require spacers to fill in the indention where the bash guard mounts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by readycpa View Post
    Does anyone know if the X.0 24/38 spider will work without the bash guard? Would it require spacers to fill in the indention where the bash guard mounts?
    Yes and yes. I have the 22/36 chainrings and installed them on my S-works crankset. I used the S-Works spider and just swapped the rings. (I don't have the Specialized tool needed to remove the spider's lockring.) The spider is essentially the same though - you can see in the picture below that there are inserts where the bash ring would sit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    So is it totally confirmed that the 2x10 w/bash spider is actually just a 3x10 spider? I ask because I want the bigger gearing on my 3x10 X0 cranks that I currently run 22/33/bash. If so, I'll just wait till I can buy replacement rings in those sizes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    So, if I am planning on removing the bash from a SRAM S-2200 chainset and fitting an MRP X2 Chaingude, it looks like I will need spacers for the bolts or shorter bolts? If so, how do I get hold of them?

Also, having bought the crankset new but second hand before finding this (these) threads I hadn't realised the chainrings were inferior. That being the case I could buy the X0 or X9 chainring set but was wondering whether I could alernatively just buy a 36t outer triple chainring and 22t inner triple chainring as the BCDs are the same which would be cheaper and not result in me having to buy another spider and a bash guard that would not be needed. Thoughts/help appreciated,

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

FYI Update

FYI...since getting and installing the new rings in late Sept. I just had to back out the chainring bolts and re-torque them. I was getting a single "click" at the top of each left pedal stroke when standing and climbing. Chased it down to the big ring chainring bolts. Looked up the torque specs for SRAM aluminum bolts (about 80 in./lbs max). They were way way to tight from the factory and were clicking. Backed them all out and re-tightened correctly in a star pattern with my torque wrench...click is now gone...

How bout some rep power for all the past photos and info???...

mtbr member
    FYI...since getting and installing the new rings in late Sept. I just had to back out the chainring bolts and re-torque them. I was getting a single "click" at the top of each left pedal stroke when standing and climbing. Chased it down to the big ring chainring bolts. Looked up the torque specs for SRAM aluminum bolts (about 80 in./lbs max). They were way way to tight from the factory and were clicking. Backed them all out and re-tightened correctly in a star pattern with my torque wrench...click is now gone...
    I found the same situation with mine. No clicking, but when I moved the X.0 chainrings from the X.0 spider to the spider on my S-works crankset, I was amazed at how tight the bolts were. Had to get an allen socket and socket wrench to loosen them up. Not sure why were tightened so much from the factory.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    i just picked up a stumpy with the SRAM S2200 PF BB30, crank the chainwheels are 33/22 with gamut bash guard.

I want to go bigger 33/22 is pretty small, i am used to riding a 44/33 with a 8 speed cassette. i am a roady and used to pushing a big gear, so i feel more comfortable with bigger chainrings.

now will those GXP XO chainrings work on the PF BB30 crank? or are the chainrings specific to the spindle? Can I just remove the rings from the GXP spider and install them on my BB30 spider?

I called specialized, they don't have chainrings available, I called sram, they were no help. I know bigger chainrings exist, they are spec'd on other spec bikes with this same crank

Any advice? Thanks for any info/help
    Last edited by kylant; 12-04-2011 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    i just pulled off my drive side crank arm with the chainrings. the spider of my bb30 pf crank looks identical to the pictures above. i am guessing they will work.

i will call universal tomorrow and chat with them before i order.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kylant View Post
    i just picked up a stumpy with the SRAM S2200 PF BB30, crank the chainwheels are 33/22 with gamut bash guard.

I want to go bigger 33/22 is pretty small, i am used to riding a 44/33 with a 8 speed cassette. i am a roady and used to pushing a big gear, so i feel more comfortable with bigger chainrings.

now will those GXP XO chainrings work on the PF BB30 crank? or are the chainrings specific to the spindle? Can I just remove the rings from the GXP spider and install them on my BB30 spider?

I called specialized, they don't have chainrings available, I called sram, they were no help. I know bigger chainrings exist, they are spec'd on other spec bikes with this same crank

Any advice? Thanks for any info/help
    I wouldn't try and mount a GXP onto a BB30. The outer ring is the finicky one when dealing with the 2 different BB's. You can buy the individual bigger rings you mentioned here: Universal Cycles -- Sram X.0/X.9 GXP Triple Chainrings

I don't work for the website and I am not affiliated with them.

Sounds like your stumpy is a 29er? I would also use caution in going with that big of a ring. one for chan-stay clearance and also due to the front derailleur being spec'd for a 2x10 crank set up. To mount a 44t ring on a the S2200 you would have to remove the bash completely and run the crank as a 3x10. Essentially as I've mentioned several times before the S2200 is nothing more than a 3x10 crank converted into 2x10 with a bash and a 2x10 front derailleur. The bolt hole patterns are 64/104 as all standard 3x10 rings are.
    Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I wouldn't try and mount a GXP onto a BB30. The outer ring is the finicky one when dealing with the 2 different BB's. You can buy the individual bigger rings you mentioned here

I don't work for the website and I am not affiliated with them.

Sounds like your stumpy is a 29er? I would also use caution in going with that big of a ring. one for chan-stay clearance and also due to the front derailleur being spec'd for a 2x10 crank set up. To mount a 44t ring on a the S2200 you would have to remove the bash completely and run the crank as a 3x10. Essentially as I've mentioned several times before the S2200 is nothing more than a 3x10 crank converted into 2x10 with a bash and a 2x10 front derailleur. The bolt hole patterns are 64/104 as all standard 3x10 rings are.
    Hope this helps.
    hey thanks for the info. looking at your pics and my spider, they look identical. I just spoke with Universal, and they said they weren't sure if it would work, but I could try. If the rings on the spider don't work, I will just take the rings off the gxp spider and mount them on my bb30. the bolt pattern is identical 104 bcd.

I do have a 29er, but I am not going to run a 44, just a 38/24 which is spec on several specialized 29ers. My crank has a Gamut bash guard, then 33/22 rings. I am going to get a set of 38/24 rings and continue to use the bash guard. I am also going to replace my front derailleur with an XO while I am at it.

I will get all my stuff from Universal, I have used them for years. good people. they said if it doesn't work, just send it back

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    TJM0031,

I see you also have a stumpy fsr and upgraded the front derailleur to an XO.

Which derailleur did you get. Everything I have found points me to needing this one:

S3, Direct mount, low pull, 2x10. Is this correct?

thanks again for your help

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    TJM0031,

I see you also have a stumpy fsr and upgraded the front derailleur to an XO.

Which derailleur did you get. Everything I have found points me to needing this one:

S3, Direct mount, low pull, 2x10. Is this correct?

thanks again for your help
    Thats actually a 2011 Camber Pro. Runs the same FD as the stumpy though. You are correct. SRAM S3 DMD bottom/low pull 2x10.
    They actually make specific ones now for the 38 ring or 36 ring. I bought before the special ones were released and I have zero shifting issues. I don't see how my front shifting could get any better now with the addition of the "true" X0 rings and an X0 FD (Upgrade from the stock x7 which wasn't bad) Maybe if I paid double and went to XX but X0 is good enough for me...Its just to bad the our bikes came stock with the S2200 which is basically an x0 crank but with inferior rings that do not shift well. The real x0 rings brought mine to life asap! I Noticed a huge difference and speed of shifting immediately and that was with comparing the use of the X0 FD w/ the crap stock rings.

Next upgrades are to ditch the stock Shimano SLX shifters and XTR rear derailleur and go full X0 or at least x9 shifters and X0 in the rear. I've always been a SRAM guy and gave Shimano a shot this time but after almost 300 miles on the new ride I'm not impressed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thats actually a 2011 Camber Pro. Runs the same FD as the stumpy though. You are correct. SRAM S3 DMD bottom/low pull 2x10.
    They actually make specific ones now for the 38 ring or 36 ring. I bought before the special ones were released and I have zero shifting issues. I don't see how my front shifting could get any better now with the addition of the "true" X0 rings and an X0 FD (Upgrade from the stock x7 which wasn't bad) Maybe if I paid double and went to XX but X0 is good enough for me...Its just to bad the our bikes came stock with the S2200 which is basically an x0 crank but with inferior rings that do not shift well. The real x0 rings brought mine to life asap! I Noticed a huge difference and speed of shifting immediately and that was with comparing the use of the X0 FD w/ the crap stock rings.

Next upgrades are to ditch the stock Shimano SLX shifters and XTR rear derailleur and go full X0 or at least x9 shifters and X0 in the rear. I've always been a SRAM guy and gave Shimano a shot this time but after almost 300 miles on the new ride I'm not impressed.

Sweet.

I placed my order with Universal today. I pulled off my FD today and it is stamped S3 36.
    My order included the X9 rings 38/24 (XO are not in stock, and they don't know when they will have them), XO front derailleur, XO shifters, and new chain (for the bigger chainrings).

So, I will have brand new X9 shifters up for grabs!!! They will be take offs, not even used on a ride yet. Just got the bike, and it is so cold here I haven't ridden it yet

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Have an X9 BB30 2x10 28/42t crank -- looking at options to get to to 24/38t. Universal has X9 24/38t w/ bash available, but only in GXP and I don't think I can get that to work on a BB30 spindle. Went through the thread, but didn't see any obvious options. As pointed out, the SRAM website lists an X9/X0 24/38t BB30 chainring with spider, but couldn't find it on any retail site. Any suggestions? Thanks. John

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    still working on mine.

got the x9 rings, spider is definitely different. my crank arm is bigger than the spider will support. so i dismounted the rings and mounted them on my bb30 spider. looks like they will work without any problems. only thing i noticed different about the rings is the new rings have a very slight recessed area where the spider rests, maybe .5mm? the stock rings were flat there.

a problem i ran into (didn't think about) is my bash guard for the 33t chainring in way too small, so I had to order a bigger bash guard.. should be here tomorrow.

also, today i realized my chain guide is also too small and won't clear the 38t chainring, unfortunately Gamut doesn't offer a chain guide to match there P40 bash guard (which i ordered) so I ordered a different brand, should be here tomorrow as well.

I never thought changing out chainrings to bigger ones would be such a major ordeal. seems like it should be much easier

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sweet.

I placed my order with Universal today. I pulled off my FD today and it is stamped S3 36.
    My order included the X9 rings 38/24 (XO are not in stock, and they don't know when they will have them), XO front derailleur, XO shifters, and new chain (for the bigger chainrings).

So, I will have brand new X9 shifters up for grabs!!! They will be take offs, not even used on a ride yet. Just got the bike, and it is so cold here I haven't ridden it yet

Thanks again
    Out of curiousity is that front X9 shifter that came off your bike a 2x10 or a 3x10 model? Did you order 2x10 or 3x10 X0's? I'm looking at getting the x0's as well. My Camber was set up odd stock last year and came with the 2200 crank w/ SRAM 2x10 FD and then
    3x10 shimano slx shifters and a 10 spd XTR rear derailleur. The front shifter is just tuned to not click to that 3rd shift. I want to go back to SRAM since I don't like the Shimano stuff. Sorry to hear your having trouble with your upgrade.
    Thanks,
    TJM

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Out of curiousity is that front X9 shifter that came off your bike a 2x10 or a 3x10 model? Did you order 2x10 or 3x10 X0's? I'm looking at getting the x0's as well. My Camber was set up odd stock last year and came with the 2200 crank w/ SRAM 2x10 FD and then
    3x10 shimano slx shifters and a 10 spd XTR rear derailleur. The front shifter is just tuned to not click to that 3rd shift. I want to go back to SRAM since I don't like the Shimano stuff. Sorry to hear your having trouble with your upgrade.
    Thanks,
    TJM
    the shifter looks like a 2x10, it says "2 speed" on it. I ordered all 2x10 XO. it is all mounted and ready to go. just waiting on the bash guard to show up. working with my LBS to get either a chain dangler or a new chain guide roller from a stumpy fsr comp evo.
    they have bikes with both of them there, either would work. i would prefer the roller set-up. to guy at the bike shop is having a tough time understanding what i want, even though i point directly to it. don't know how i can make more clear or easier. i wish i could just deal with spec directly

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    the shifter looks like a 2x10, it says "2 speed" on it. I ordered all 2x10 XO. it is all mounted and ready to go. just waiting on the bash guard to show up. working with my LBS to get either a chain dangler or a new chain guide roller from a stumpy fsr comp evo.
    they have bikes with both of them there, either would work. i would prefer the roller set-up. to guy at the bike shop is having a tough time understanding what i want, even though i point directly to it. don't know how i can make more clear or easier. i wish i could just deal with spec directly
    Thanks man. Was just curious since the S2200 is set up like a 3 ring crank with a bash in place of the large ring. I'll order a 2x10 set then.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Does anyone know if this spider and rings work on the xx gxp crankset?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by frontier2k1 View Post
    Does anyone know if this spider and rings work on the xx gxp crankset?
    I would imagine not. I have seen no mention by SRAM that they will work. It would essentially be a downgrade as far as the spider and rings for an XX. Plus...the XX runs on the different 80/120 bcd bolt pattern. That being said though I've never seen how the actual spider mounts to the drive side arm. It could be integrated and permanentely attatched. On the X9/X0 units there are 3 torx bolts that hold the spider on a spline on the drive side arm.

You could possibly buy the individual rings sized in the correct 80/120 bcd pattern and mount them to your crank to achieve the ratio you want.

Just remember the 36 ring is specifically synced for the 22 and the 38 synced for the 24.

mtbr member
    FYI I could locate specs for torque on the 3 little T25 bolts that hold the spider on.
    So, what torque did you use and where did you find the specs? Can't seem to find any info.

Regarding the chainring hardware bolts, there are two different lengths. Did you use the short bolts (like pictured) for the outer ring, and the long bolts for the inner?

My crank came disassembled, so I'm a little puzzled.

Last edited by madskatingcow; 03-09-2013 at 08:17 AM.