New GX1000 crankset- compatible 28t?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

New GX1000 crankset- compatible 28t?

So I have this newfangled GX1000- SRAM's site says it's only compatible with 30t and up rings. Is anyone familiar with a smaller ring that will fit? It's probably a stupid question- first SRAM equipped bike and trying to figure it all out.

mtbr member
    Not a stupid question! I've been trying to figure out which SRAM cranks are compatible with 28T chain ring for the 1x I want to put on my bike. What I understand is that to get 28T you need either the XX 1x crank that has a spider that can take the 28T ring or your crank has to be the type that has a detachable spider (not integrated). The GX 1400 (as well as X0, X9 and some versions of X7) has the detachable spider that can be removed and replaced by a "direct mount" 28T ring. Additionally, I understand you can purchase the XX spider separately and replace the spider that comes on GX 1400 to use regular 28T ring instead of "direct mount" ring. Unfortunately I do not believe your crank, GX 1000 accepts "direct mount" rings or can you change your spider cause it is integrated, therefore you are stuck at 30T minimum. I could be wrong because of all the confusion in the matter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for this input. Part of my confusion is the bike looks like it has a detachable spider and ring. But according to the manufacturer of the bike its a GX1000.

mtbr member
    should be pretty easy. the GX1000 is on the left and the GX1400 is on the right. i just don't think people are aware of the fact that "direct mount" chain rings can be used on SRAMs less expensive cranks. the other think that bugs me is that if i do decide to buy the GX1400 crank set, it apparently comes with 32T chain ring standard without being able to switch it to a 30T at purchase (i'm wavering between 28T and 30T and wouldn't mind having both options). any way good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hoe much does the x1400 cost anyway? You could probably find a slightly older x9 (has removable spider) for cheap and fit whatever rings you like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Hoe much does the x1400 cost anyway? You could probably find a slightly older x9 (has removable spider) for cheap and fit whatever rings you like.
    Yes you are correct, you can find a used x9 on eBay, but new ones come with rings are are not such an inexpensive option (plus adding the 1x ring) comparing to buying x1400 with a 1x 32T ring in the kit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Turns out my bike came with the GX 1400 even though spec'd per the manufacturer with a 1000. Nice bonus. It came with a 30t and that's as low as it looks like it will go. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by starre View Post
    should be pretty easy. the GX1000 is on the left and the GX1400 is on the right. i just don't think people are aware of the fact that "direct mount" chain rings can be used on SRAMs less expensive cranks. the other think that bugs me is that if i do decide to buy the GX1400 crank set, it apparently comes with 32T chain ring standard without being able to switch it to a 30T at purchase (i'm wavering between 28T and 30T and wouldn't mind having both options). any way good luck!
    Its not that obvious.
    Take a look at the Speci Enduro Comp 2016 29er setup.
    GX-1000 cranks with 28T direct mount chain ring.
    New GX1000 crankset- compatible 28t?-rawness_dsc02694-1024x683.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derpikniker View Post
    Its not that obvious.
    Take a look at the Speci Enduro Comp 2016 29er setup.
    GX-1000 cranks with 28T direct mount chain ring.
    Thanks! Very confusing as the crank listed for the Enduro Comp on thSpec web site is the S1000. Let's agree that if the crank arm and spider can be disassembled, then it can take direct mount chain rings. I'm reluctant to order cause I don't know what I'm getting.

banned
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by starre View Post
    Not a stupid question! I've been trying to figure out which SRAM cranks are compatible with 28T chain ring for the 1x I want to put on my bike. What I understand is that to get 28T you need either the XX 1x crank that has a spider that can take the 28T ring or your crank has to be the type that has a detachable spider (not integrated). The GX 1400 (as well as X0, X9 and some versions of X7) has the detachable spider that can be removed and replaced by a "direct mount" 28T ring. Additionally, I understand you can purchase the XX spider separately and replace the spider that comes on GX 1400 to use regular 28T ring instead of "direct mount" ring. Unfortunately I do not believe your crank, GX 1000 accepts "direct mount" rings or can you change your spider cause it is integrated, therefore you are stuck at 30T minimum. I could be wrong because of all the confusion in the matter.
    Just to be clear since I'm looking to install a 28 tooth chain ring on my GX 1400 cranks. SRAM only makes a 28T chain ring for the XX1. Now Sram is offering this universal XX1 spider that fits on all their cranks, allowing you to install this spider with XX1 chain ring on your GX, X1, X01. Instead of installing a direct mount 28tooth on my GX1400, it will be a lot easier to change a chain ring if I go with this universal spider instead. I will just have to buy XX1 28,30,32 tooth chain rings? Sounds right? Not sure why Srams bolt pattern is different on the XX1 spider, but okay.

Update, After posting this I read that the XX1 chain rings have different teeth and are more compact, which means you need a XX1 specific chain. I'm also not sure how the XX1 chain would match up with your GX rear derailer, so direct mount chain ring it is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    Just to be clear since I'm looking to install a 28 tooth chain ring on my GX 1400 cranks. SRAM only makes a 28T chain ring for the XX1. Now Sram is offering this universal XX1 spider that fits on all their cranks, allowing you to install this spider with XX1 chain ring on your GX, X1, X01. Instead of installing a direct mount 28tooth on my GX1400, it will be a lot easier to change a chain ring if I go with this universal spider instead. I will just have to buy XX1 28,30,32 tooth chain rings? Sounds right? Not sure why Srams bolt pattern is different on the XX1 spider, but okay.

Update, After posting this I read that the XX1 chain rings have different teeth and are more compact, which means you need a XX1 specific chain. I'm also not sure how the XX1 chain would match up with your GX rear derailer, so direct mount chain ring it is.
    I am confused now. Does the XX1 direct mount and GX1400 direct mount differ? If so, is it in the mounting/bolt pattern? Or is it an offset thing?

Lots of companies make a myriad of direct mount rings in various sizes for both GXP and PF/BB offsets. Would not one of those 28t options work on the gx1400?

banned
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I am confused now. Does the XX1 direct mount and GX1400 direct mount differ? If so, is it in the mounting/bolt pattern? Or is it an offset thing?

Lots of companies make a myriad of direct mount rings in various sizes for both GXP and PF/BB offsets. Would not one of those 28t options work on the gx1400?
    SRAM XX1 - First ride review - BikeRadar USA

Someone did send me a link a while back on a different brand chain ring, but I need to find it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Wolftooth, xkm, absolute black, there are many others.

mtbr member
    Hi there, same problem here, Sram GX 1000 with 30 chainring, but want to put a 28T, how did you resolve the issue? because I canīt find in all black a ring that is compatible with my current setup :S
    No dudes, no temas, no te arrepientas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ive godt a gx crankset with a spider. I dont know if its a gx1000, but the spider is direct mounted, so i just removed the spider and bought a direct mount 28t chainring

Sendt fra min F5121 med Tapatalk