New chain on 1x11- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New chain on 1x11

First new chain on my 1x setup. Do I have to carefully be sure the big gap in chain lands on wide teeth on front chainring? I'm guessing so. What about the rear cassette and 2 pulleys? Do all 4 parts need to be synced up?

mtbr member
    Great question and I'd like an answer. I've NEVER seen an LBS or bike tech or anybody pay attention to this. They just thread the chains through and send folks on their way..

i noticed when I installed my Eagle that if I didn't have the chain sync'd narrow / wide on the large 50T cog, the chain wouldn't sink onto the teeth at all.

EDIT: Just checked my bikes. Not all RD pulleys have N/W teeth. On my GX Eagle and 1x11 only the bottom pulleys have N/W. My front chainrings are all sync'd, in addition to my pulleys. This 'happen on its own' lol, during install.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    They have to be synced, right? The gaps between links are way different every other. The fat tooth must go in the fat chain hole.

I looked on srams site for the install guide, and I didn't see any mention of this subject in the chain and chainring guide.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing you just start on the front ring, turn the cassette until it syncs up, them the pulley(s).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'll just answer this myself. There's no way the chain can go on wrong! The narrow links physically won't fit on the wide teeth. So the whole system is kind of foolproof. I just lined up the bottom jockey wheel, and the front chainring, and the rest figured itself out.