My '08 Recon 351's lowers are screwed up.- Mtbr.com
    No longer a hardtailkid.

My '08 Recon 351's lowers are screwed up.

I hope that someone from SRAM/RockShox can help me sort out this issue.

I have a 2008 RockShox Recon 351 U turn, and it has been nothing but trouble. The day I bought the fork (which was in late 2009) and got it on my bike, it was fine....for about 30 minutes. I was just riding around, occasionally putting some of my weight on the fork. It was working GREAT, but the it slowly started acting weird. Then it became stuck. I couldn't compress the fork, or adjust the U-Turn. I thought it was a problem with the Motion Control being stuck on lockout. So I put the bike back in the garage and I went inside for the night. The next day, I put the bike upside down to allign my front caliper (I didn't have a workstand at the time) and when I flip the bike back over, I literally discover that the fork is covered in oil, and the brake side dust seal is 2cm up the stanchion. OH *****. So I try and press the seal back into the fork, using ONLY a very dull screwdriver. When I realize that the fork is officially screwed up, I take it off the bike and bring it to my LBS, and they ship it out to be fixed by the SRAM warranty department. I Tell them that I think the fork is stuck on lockout, so maybe the Motion Control needs replaced. So 4 and a half weeks later I get it back. I grab the fork from the wrench at my LBS, put the dropouts on the carpet and compress the fork. FARKK. It isn't fixed! And SRAM didn't even replace the dust seals, which I had specified needed to be done.I take it home, it sits in my garage for about 4 weeks, then when I find the time, I take it to another LBS in town for them to do the work in house. I have them put on new Enduro seals, and all the other Enduro things (I don't know what they are called) in the fork, and also have them put new oil in it and rplace the U-Turn unit. 3 weeks later, IT WORKS!!! (This was in March that I finally get it fixed).

Now, at the time, I wasn't uber smart about bikes, so I didn't realize that the wheel was supposed to sit right in the center of the fork. I knew how to mount the wheels right and do all of that (I had the LBS show me how to use quick releases and mount the wheel correctly.) But now that I am alot smarter about bikes, I realizes how big of an issue this actually is. The wheel is dished correctly, so I know that the problem is with the lowers of the fork. With the wheel seated correctly in the dropouts, it is way closer to the brake side of the lowers. I realize that this is a known issue with the 2008 (maybe 2009...?) SIDs, but I haven't heard about anyone else having this problem with a Recon, or any other RS model for that matter. I attached a bunch of pictures below.

I am really dreading spending a lot of money on a new Fox, Marzocchi, or Manitou fork, but I think it may be the only option I have. I know that Rockshox makes some insane good all mountain forks like the Revelation, Pike, Sektor, and Reba, but I don't have the money for them right now.

Is there absolutely ANY way that you, at SRAM, can replace this fork or send out some new lowers? I understand that I may not have been the most loyal customer (I did go with the Enduro internals, after all), but this fork has really been a problem for me. Please contact me if you work for SRAM, or if you read this and know somebody who can help me sort this out.

Regards,

Andy Dietz
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    Mount the wheel with the disc on the on non-disc side. If the lowers are shot, then the wheel should sit to the same side of the fork no matter how you mount it.

So if you mount it "incorrectly" ( ie disc on non-disc side ) then if it sits offset to the other side, then the wheel is incorrectly laced. Which Imo is the case

Alternatively - try your wheel on a different bike or different wheel on your bike.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Yeah, already did that. That's how I figured out it is definitely a problem with the lowers, not my wheel. I have also tried it with my other front wheel.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    I put some new skinny tires on the bike (Melbourne, FL has no trails, so it isn't worth it to keep my Nevegals on), but I will go take some pictures of the wheel mounted correctly and incorrectly.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Now I am seriously confused.
    I take the wheel off and put it on backwards, and it still sits way closer to the brake side (left leg) of the fork.

And this is why I'm so confused:

I go and put on my old wheel (the original front wheel, the one that came on the bike when I bought it at Sports Authority ) and it's fine!!! It sits RIGHT in the center of the fork. I could've sworn that it didn't. But what ever. I guess I should have tried that before I started this huuuge rant. Now I feel really stupid. I am going to try and get over to my LBS, that is open on Sundays, and have them dish and true the front, and possibly the rear wheel.
    Can a mod reading this please delete this thread? I don't want RockShox to get a bad rep because of this thread. Sorry...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You should send SRAM an email instead of posting on MTBR: [email protected]

No longer a hardtailkid.
    I was just thinking that they may have a customer service guy on MTBR that may see this.

Members who have read this thread: 0