mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Monarch 2016 RT3 - no lockout

All,

I have a 2016 Monarch RT3, when in the trail and lockout positions there seems to be no difference. All positions seem to be open. Any tricks/tips to re-enable this? I may try and let out and re-air the shock later today.

Frankly, I'm not sure it ever worked. I was on my ~20th ride yesterday, a long road climb, when I hit the switch... and nothing. Hehe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    All,

I have a 2016 Monarch RT3, when in the trail and lockout positions there seems to be no difference. All positions seem to be open. Any tricks/tips to re-enable this? I may try and let out and re-air the shock later today.

Frankly, I'm not sure it ever worked. I was on my ~20th ride yesterday, a long road climb, when I hit the switch... and nothing. Hehe.

Not quite the same shock, but I've noticed my RT lockout doesn't seem to 'kick in' till the shock has cycled a couple of times after the lockout hasn't been used in a while (so if I lock it out and jump on it a couple of times it eventually gets hard, or if it just bobs for a bit)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vaer View Post
    Not quite the same shock, but I've noticed my RT lockout doesn't seem to 'kick in' till the shock has cycled a couple of times after the lockout hasn't been used in a while (so if I lock it out and jump on it a couple of times it eventually gets hard, or if it just bobs for a bit)
    Took my bike into a knowledgeable shop. They had seen this before and suspected the damping circuit was completely dry. It has been sent away to SRAM, its been 1.5 weeks no word from them yet

mtbr member
    Took my bike into a knowledgeable shop. They had seen this before and suspected the damping circuit was completely dry. It has been sent away to SRAM, its been 1.5 weeks no word from them yet

Hope you'll post back with the result from SRAM when you get it back. Mine seems to work fine as long as I kick it a bit, but might be a perform diem the line and would be interesting to reference back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hope you'll post back with the result from SRAM when you get it back. Mine seems to work fine as long as I kick it a bit, but might be a perform diem the line and would be interesting to reference back.
    Just got a tracking number. Ill post any info they provide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just got a tracking number. Ill post any info they provide.

So sram said nothing was wrong, but they opened the shock and found a scratch. So they sent me a new shock with the wrong tune. They are sending out a new shock with the correct tune as we speak.

My old shock was a LLS tune this one is a MMS. The floodgate lever at each setting has a noticeable and different feel which also and effects sag at each setting (as it should). So there was something wrong after all. I guess someone was having a bad day at Sram.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Totally different shock. Sounds like your ifp pressure is low. Needs to be 450-500 psi.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Monarch 2016 RT3 - no lockout

So sram said nothing was wrong, but they opened the shock and found a scratch. So they sent me a new shock with the wrong tune. They are sending out a new shock with the correct tune as we speak.

My old shock was a LLS tune this one is a MMS. The floodgate lever at each setting has a noticeable and different feel which also and effects sag at each setting (as it should). So there was something wrong after all. I guess someone was having a bad day at Sram.

Got a new shock from Sram, with the correct tune (LLS), the floodgate lever presents a unique and different feel in each position (as it should). Case closed.

Side note, its amazing how different the medium and low tune shocks felt. The medium made the rear end much firmer and was hard to use all the travel. I ran the medium tune with no rebound / no compression (totally open). It was okay, but make the bike (transition scout) feel like it had a xc oriented suspension.

The low tune is much more plush and I can bottom the shock out a lot easier. I prefer the low tune in the open mode with a few clicks of rebound damping. For climbs, the floodgate lever is nice in the firmest position.