Maxle Stealth for PIke- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Maxle Stealth for PIke

I would like to swap my quick release maxle on my Pike for a Stealth version. I like the fact that is very low profile, you can torque it perfectly everytime, and it brings a bit of security to my front wheel.

My concern is I use the SeaSucker Talon bike rack which requires me to remove the front wheel every time I load my bike. Do you see any issue removing the bolt each time and re-torquing? Would it strain the threads on the fork? Anything else I should be concerned with?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    seems staying with the qr would be the easiest if you have to remove your wheel regularly. regarding torquing it perfectly - not sure how it's any easier than the qr which can be lined up exactly the same relative to the stanchions every time and you won't have to carry a torque wrench if you seriously plan to torque it perfectly every time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks for slapping some sense into me and saving me 40 bucks. I was going to place an order for the rear stealth and use a 20% coupon at worldwide.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I have the stealth and love it. I ended up snapping one at the threads when using a torque wrench to tighten. I got a replacement and now tighten by hand with 6 mm allen wrench and have had no problems.

mtbr member
    I had a roof rack that required me to remove the front wheel in order to mount the bike. It wasn't really any more work for me to use a bolt thru axle. I just kept a 6mm hex in the door pocket of the car.

I guess it would depend on which side you mount the rack. If you mount it on the driver side...it wouldn't me any more difficult...but if its mounted on the passenger side...it'll be a bit awkward.