Issues with my new Gripshift X9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Issues with my new Gripshift X9

After my initial set up, using ESI chunkys cut to 3.5", I found that I had plenty of room for my hand, with the edge of the grip shifter touching my index finger and thumb. The problem was that the brake lever was too far inboard with this set up, so that my index finger could catch the end of the lever, but my middle finger couldn't.
    So, I cut the ESI's some more, which now requires that my index finger and thumb are on the grip shift. This gives me better brake lever reach.
    However, I don't like the bulge in the X9 grip! It puts pressure on the inside of my hand, and makes it so that my hand is angled. It's just not comfortable.

Questions:

-- Under the grip, is the barrel of the grip shift bulged also, or is it flat?

-- Are their grip alternatives so that I could flatten out my grip shifter, so that it is roughly
    the same diameter as my ESI grips all the way across?

-- Where do you find replacement gripshifter grips?

A second issue I have is with the lack of a firm stop for shifting to the middle ring!
    I find myself counting the clicks, or looking at the indicator to make a shift. Not good.

I'm really trying to like these things, but I'm actually thinking of going back to triggers. Help?

AZ
    banned
    Try shaping or shaving down the grip to get the shape you want . Once you get used to shifting to the middle ring it wont be an issue , at the most you make the shift and then trim it , it gets to be second nature after awhile . Good luck .

mtbr member
    Shaving down the grip sounds risky, considering I haven't found any replacement gripshift grips. So if I wreck them, I'm screwed. They must sell them somewhere, and I'm pretty sure they have "flatter" ones.
    I know XO grips are different, but are they about the same diameter with the bulge?

AZ
    banned
    XO's are 40 mm at the bulge + or - .5 mm .

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    they are flat underneath the grip. the bulge is just rubber. x.7, x.9, x.0 grips are all interchangeable. i've seen the x.0 grips at various online stores. your LBS can order any of them from SRAM though. the amy grip may be what you want?

mtbr member
    Yeah the amp grip looks flatter and better.
    I looked on the SRAM website and they don't even show grips on the parts order lists for the shifters!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I had the same problem with my new X9's. So I have bought a pair of nearly new X7's which come with the thinner Amy grip. I will swap the grips over and ebay the X7's with the thicker Rocket grip that came with the X9's.

You can buy the Amy grips separately (google it) but they are about £16 each!!!!

Doing it my way I should break even :-)

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stunt
    I had the same problem with my new X9's. So I have bought a pair of nearly new X7's which come with the thinner Amy grip. I will swap the grips over and ebay the X7's with the thicker Rocket grip that came with the X9's.

You can buy the Amy grips separately (google it) but they are about £16 each!!!!

Doing it my way I should break even :-)

Good luck!
    That's a good plan. I'm too lazy to get into that right now.
    Actually, I switched my grip to an Ergon grip, and the way it opens up your hand and puts the pressure on your palm makes the X9 bulge less of a problem for me. But, if it was easy, I'd still switch to the Amy's.

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    What brakes & levers are you using?? I have found that some systems aren't very compatible with Gripshift though that is a different situation than you have.
    Is it possible to get longer brake levers? I have used Hayes, Shimano &Avid brakes with Gripshift with no reach issues, though clearance has been another story entirely.

mtbr member
    I'm using hayes stroker levers. They are not the best choice for use with gripshift, as they have the reservoir bulging on the outside of the base, which pushes the lever farther inward. It's not that serious, maybe a quarter inch.
    What do you mean by clearance issues?

mtbr member
    If you click HERE, you can see a picture on another thread where a guy took off his grip shift grips and streched a piece of ESI grip onto the shifter.

mtbr member
    RE: Shifting into the middle ring.

I am starting to get used to not having a hard stop at the middle position. I was counting clicks or looking at my shifter to get the position right, but now my technique is simply to give the shifter a hard fast twist back. It is possible to feel the resistance increase as the deraileur hits the chain and moves it. When I feel that resistance I shift forward one click to trim, and it usually endsup in the perfect spot. Very fast.
    After a while you remember the amount of twist it takes, and you don't really have to think about it.

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    I'm using hayes stroker levers. They are not the best choice for use with gripshift, as they have the reservoir bulging on the outside of the base, which pushes the lever farther inward. It's not that serious, maybe a quarter inch.
    What do you mean by clearance issues?
    Oddly, I have found the Avid Elixr CR levers to not have enough space between the lever and my knuckle when holding or shifting the Gripshift. This even with the levers adjusted out as far as I dare. There just doesn't appear to be enough sweep or bend in the lever to accomodate a comfortable position on the shifter. I was always scraping my knuckles on the inside of the lever when shifting, etc.
    I find this particularly strange as Avid is part of Sram. Even weirder is how much better both XT & XTR levers accomodate the shifters.

mtbr member
    This picture shows my current set up. I love the ergon grips. They make them for gripshift, but these were the standard ones I had to cut short.
    The way the hand weight is distributed, the x9 grip bulge doesn't bother me any more (hardly). With a round grip, the bulge forces the weight to the outside, but the ergon keeps it distributed nicely.
    You can see the reservoir on the stroker lever causing the position of the lever to be more inward. I don't have a clearance issue as you described. Overall, things are working pretty well now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    Your set up is similar to mine. I cut down the GX-1's with no issues and I particularly like them for the descents which was a pleasant surprise. Crappy phone picture but it gives you an idea.

Issues with my new Gripshift X9-gripshift-brake-lever-clearance.jpg

mtbr member
    After a couple months of riding now, I have to say that I still don't like the multi-click trim adjustable front shifter (or whatever you call it). I have an old Xray shifter on my second bike and one click to the middle ring is sweet and all you need. Triggers do the same thing, so I don't really see why micro adjust is necessary with proper set up.
    What would be cool however, is if they could do what the old thumb shifters did, and switch between index mode and friction mode. The best of both worlds.

It is no longer an issue for me. My elimination of this problem was to replace my big ring with a BBG bashguard. Now I'm running 2x9, and front shifting has been simplified to slamming up or slamming down. Very nice, fast, and simple.

Cuánto pesa?

Listen! OURY and XO grips...Are made for each other....

Members who have read this thread: 0