• 05-16-2010
    bobsouth
    Help- Sram Xx Chainring Bolts
    Hi All,

I've lost (!!) a couple of outer chainring bolts on my SRAM XX cranks (if nothing else its a good lesson in checking chainring bolt torq I guess).

The distributors for SRAM here in AUSTRALIA don't have any spares in stock meaning that:

a) I purchase another crank in order to get the required chainring bolt
    b) stop riding my bike with the SRAM XX set up until the importers get more bolts

Neither a or b above appeal to me.

Anyone know of an alternative source of the proprietary SRAM XX outer chainring bolts?

Cheers

R
  • 05-17-2010
    aussie_yeti
    Take one to a bolt shop, see if they have a solution. If nothing else they'll sell you a bolt with the right thread and a washer to spread the load out on the spider. It won't be pretty but it'll get you on the trails until Monza get some stock.
  • 05-17-2010
    sixate
    I'm sure it would be easy to find a set of bolts that work, but Google is your friend. It took me 10 seconds to find these.

http://www.petracycles.co.uk/truvati...09f773f7c321c7

Was just thinking the bolts I linked above are more than likely for the small ring. Either way, I don't think the XX outer bolts are proprietary. I bet they're the same aluminum bolts they use on their other cranks.
  • 05-17-2010
    bobsouth
    With respect, I checked compatibility with other truvativ outer chainring bolts before talking to the distributor and posting here on this forum. The outer chainring bolt are proprietary, I assure you.
  • 05-18-2010
    the_terrible_1
    Bobsouth is right, most manufacturers have started production of XX chainrings (carbon-ti and FRM) but the bolts are different and are not being produced as of yet.
  • 08-14-2010
    Biobanker
    I did a number on the flaky XX chainring inner bolts. They're weak, shallow and straight access is difficult. I need a new set!

Anyone know if those are proprietary? I would rather replace them some non-wimpy bolts if possible.
  • 08-16-2010
    buckhorn
    The inner chainring bolts are the same ones everyone else uses. It's the outer bolts that are proprietary. Learned this first hand, darn it!
  • 09-15-2010
    A-Hol
    Luckily I only lost 3 of 4 on the inner ring! I noticed there was only one left right before a race too! I replaced them w/some old bolts I had around w/no problems at this point.
  • 12-15-2010
    murdog
    xx chainring bolts
    I saw some aftermarket bolts for XX chainrings on EBAY. they were gold anodized.

Now if i could just find an outer 36tooth chainring for my XX groupo. I broke a tooth on the ring and no one has replacements. If anyone has a source for aftermarket please let me know.
  • 12-15-2010
    nathanbal
    i just bought a couple of the the xx chaining combo with s-works spider from Universal Cycles. i run them on a cannondale with hollowgrams so whilst i dont need the spider, i have the chainrings i need plus the bolts...
  • 12-16-2010
    S-Worker
    I recently bought a set of xx chainring bolts made by carbon-ti. They are available in several colours, i went for the black ones. Its a set for both chainrings.