GX vs. X9 2x10 Rear Der with 2.1 Roller Bearing Clutch- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

GX vs. X9 2x10 Rear Der with 2.1 Roller Bearing Clutch

Why is there a significant price difference between the GX and X9 rear derailleurs?

The SRAM company line is that the GX rear derailleur will contain updated or superior technology. I am wondering if the GX materials utilized are inferior to the X9?

Anyone have any personal experience or opinions?

Thanks, CDIDriver

mtbr member
    Bump. Same question.
    Rollin' rocks will never die...

mtbr member
    I'm wondering the same thing, mainly because my gx 2.1 RD was cheaper than the listed price of an x9 however I recently upgraded my x5 shifter to a gx shifter to match my RD since I found the x5 shifter was very clunky with my gx RD. Although the x5 has "zero loss" and the gx doesn't, I do find the gx shifter to be a superior shifter compared to the x5. I think sram is just being lazy and not listing all the specs to the gx drivetrain line up. When I need to replace the cable, I'll crack open the shifter and we will see what it's all about. GX vs. X9 2x10 Rear Der with 2.1 Roller Bearing Clutch-uploadfromtaptalk1443482828279.jpgGX vs. X9 2x10 Rear Der with 2.1 Roller Bearing Clutch-uploadfromtaptalk1443482853413.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hello, posting back some results.

Well, the GX rear derailleur worked well for a little bit, then re-configuring and indexing became a mess. it didn't matter what i did, it just wouldn't shift properly anymore. I ended up taking back both the derailleur and the shifter since i've decided to go Shimano SLX 675 rear derailleur paired with a Shimano SLX 670 shifter.

I'm done with SRAM when it comes with drivetrains. I spoke to them directly and they said the GX lineup replaces the X7 and X9 for 2016. What a joke.

Formerly of Kent
    You guys realize that the GX drivetrain is 11 speed, and the X7 and X9 lines are 10 speed, right?
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    the gx comes in 10 speed as well. check Amazon.

Ride Everything
    My Transition came stock with X5 shifters and a GX 2x10 rear derailleur. Chainring is a 30t WolfTooth, and the cassette is a SunRace 11-42t. Everything is 10s. The X5 shifters may not be as smooth as my old X9 units with ball bearings, but the bike shifts flawlessly.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d4nt3ch View Post
    Hello, posting back some results.

Well, the GX rear derailleur worked well for a little bit, then re-configuring and indexing became a mess. it didn't matter what i did, it just wouldn't shift properly anymore. I ended up taking back both the derailleur and the shifter since i've decided to go Shimano SLX 675 rear derailleur paired with a Shimano SLX 670 shifter.

I'm done with SRAM when it comes with drivetrains. I spoke to them directly and they said the GX lineup replaces the X7 and X9 for 2016. What a joke.
    Could you have had a bent derailleur hanger? Usually a sign when you can't get things adjusted no matter how hard you try. Just a thought.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Could you have had a bent derailleur hanger? Usually a sign when you can't get things adjusted no matter how hard you try. Just a thought.
    The hanger was indeed bent, but I was having indexing issues before, right when I installed a brand new hanger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    i am looking into a new RD. Thinking GX or X0. I have an X0 shifter already. Any info on this thread to keep it going...

mtbr member
    The rear derailleurs will all function the same. The differences will be the materials used to reduce weight. You'll feel more of a difference in a higher model shifter. The X9 and up uses bearings in the shifter compared to plastic bushings in the lower end.

The GX looks more to be on the X7 level.

I had an X9 and went to X0...they work the same. The X0 is 10gr lighter. I replaced the steel bolts on the X9 with the aluminum ones from the X0.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GX vs. X9 2x10 Rear Der with 2.1 Roller Bearing Clutch-rd2.jpg  

Trail Ninja
    GX 11 speed clutch action:

GX vs. X9 2x10 Rear Der with 2.1 Roller Bearing Clutch-sramclutchrd.jpg

From this video (good shots of the RD in action around 2:13):

"The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    The X9 and up uses bearings in the shifter compared to plastic bushings in the lower end.
    That explains why mine wore out so easily. Plastic bushings? Really sram? And you claim this will replace both x7 and x9...? Welp, mo matter. Hell even my deore 615 Rd is all metal excluding the jockey wheels and clutch switch...and cap cover.