GX Eagle Cassette Noise - Lowest Cogs- Mtbr.com
    Downcountry AF

GX Eagle Cassette Noise - Lowest Cogs

All, I know this is a long shot, but has anyone experienced a "creaky" sound when in the lowest 3-4 cogs (biggest cogs) on a GX Eagle cassette? It works fine in the stand and on the trail under cruising speed, but when I need to put the torque down for a steep climb I get this noise. It's not super loud, its a cross between a creak and grind, but the shifting is setup perfectly and the hanger is new. I can spin in those gears fine with no issues, it just seems to occur when I climb under power. It's not skipping or trying to shift and otherwise doesn't seem to affect performance, it's just super annoying as I like a quiet bike. I also can't replicate it in smaller cogs under power. I know the cassette is all pinned together, could that be the culprit? Everything is all cleaned and lubed.

Basically I have done everything I can for it outside of buying an X01 or XX1 cassette that has less pins and points to make noise. Any help/tips/advice would be appreciated. I will x-post this to the drivetrain forum as well.

Thanks ~
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    I had some odd cassette [GX Eagle] noises on a ride recently. I made a mental note to spend sometime figuring it out when I got home. Turns out my rear axle was loose and the hub was able to move around a bit. Tightened up the axle and noise was gone.

How old is the cassette? Do you use the easy gears a lot?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Downcountry AF

GX Eagle Cassette Noise - Lowest Cogs

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I had some odd cassette [GX Eagle] noises on a ride recently. I made a mental note to spend sometime figuring it out when I got home. Turns out my rear axle was loose and the hub was able to move around a bit. Tightened up the axle and noise was gone.

How old is the cassette? Do you use the easy gears a lot?
    I have already checked the rear axle, in fact that has typically been my biggest issue on this bike when it comes to rear end noises. Cleaned & torqued to 15nm as per Specialized, and still getting the noise.

The cassette is about 6 months old, probably 400 miles on it. Iím going to work on it tonight and see if I can figure it out. Pull it, grease the threads, etc.

And no, I donít use them a lot, probably 3-4 times per ride on punchy stuff.

Itís frustrating because I just want a quiet ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Going to X01 won't solve your problem... I get the exact same noise/grind/what you're describing with my full X01 setup. It only recently began doing it (roughly 1500 miles on all the components). At first it was only when the drivetrain managed to get wet out on a ride and then it would vanish when it dried. Fast forward about 2-300 miles and it's now quiet yet noticeable all the time and gets worse when conditions are challenging. You can't hear it until I stand up in the saddle and lay the power down and then it rears it's ugly head and sounds embarrassing in my circle of mechanically inclined friends. I've tried everything I can think of and have determined everything to be tight/assembled correctly and it's always well lubed. I have another buddy with a gx setup and his is doing the same. With the tolerances so tight on eagle it wouldn't surprise me if it's simply a chainring/cassette wear issue. I replaced the chain a week ago and it made it quieter but hasn't completely remedied the situation.
    As of yesterday I've got a complete XTR drivetrain on the way.. stuff is about to the point of needing to be replaced (which I find ridiculous at 1500 miles) so I'm going a completely different direction. Shimano won't be without its issues but if I were ever going to give their 12 speed stuff a go, now is the time. I loved my older (2016) 11 speed XTR on a previous build.

For what it's worth if you're set on keeping what you have I would look at the following: bottom bracket (make sure your cranks aren't slightly wallowing under power in bad bearings), rear hub bearing/axle play (not your thru axle but the actual axle that rides in the hub bearings), and make sure your cassette is tight and on straight (a side note - on eagle w/ an XD freehub body the cassette only contacts the freehub body on a small amount of surface making it susceptible to flex in my opinion). Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use both XX1 & XO1 which are silent. I have read the pinned version could develop noise. I also read a couple users soaked there entire cassette in light oil to determine if the creak was definitely a pinning issue - I would suggest that as well.

Downcountry AF
    F-It, Iím taking it to the shop and let them figure it out. Between that and internally routed brake hose that I need lengthened, my patience has worn thin and Iím over it.

Thanks for the tips, gang.