Guide Brake problem - Lever and Pads are not retracting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Guide Brake problem - Lever and Pads are not retracting

Just last week I found 3 out of 4 Guide R brakesets that I have on two bikes are stuck on and will not retract. I pull the lever and the pads move in but the lever stays down and the pads stay locked on. It's unbelievable to me. One bike hasn't been ridden at all and has been hanging in my garage with a front brake stuck on. The other bike gets the most use and both the front and rear are stuck on on it. This is what I've done so far:

1. Bled them 2x with the pro bleed kit - No change
    2. Disassembled one of the levers to see if there was a mechanical issue - Nothing found
    3. Disassembled one of the rear calipers - I took the pistons out to check for a stuck caliper piston, checked the seals - Nothing found
    4. Bled again - No change

I've owned SRAM/Avid brakes since they started making Juicy disc brakes and I have a lot of experience bleeding them so I'm certain its not a bleed issue. Something has failed in this new design. How else could 3 of 4 sets lock in the on position? One set is on a bike that doesn't even get used when it happened.

Wondering if anyone else is having issues with the Guides. I've pretty much had it with SRAM/AVID. I loved my Codes but hated the constant maintenance and now this. I'm at my wits end with Sram

mtbr member
    I had that same problem,
    I had the R's for about 3 Months and never had a problem. bike was put up for about 2 months, ended up selling the bike and installed the Guides on my Fuel. After about 10 pulls of the brakes they would not released. Had to carry the bike to my LBS to have them bleed it. Didn't fix it.
    Thank god they were under warranty.
    Called Sram, They sent me new rotors, new Guide RSC (upgraded from the R) brakes..
    Ended up selling them

I am having really bad luck with SRAM products the last 2 months
    Brakes, Dropper blows up after 1 month of using it on and off and now my 2 month old lock out on my SS.
    Too Many .