Eagle AXS "long" term real world use- Mtbr.com
    Jii
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Eagle AXS "long" term real world use

I'm suffering from a bad case of upgradeitis and am seriously considering trying out the Eagle AXS XO1, since upgrade kits are available and the price is "reasonable" . I currently run Eagle GX so all I'd need is the shifter and derailleur (and charger obvs). Not going to get the Reverb though (because it's a Reverb), so I'll only get to ditch one cable which isn't optimal clutterfree-wise - but yeah, Reverb is a no go so that''s that.

I've read all that I could find, but failed to find any long term user reviews. Anyone got any golden nuggets? The good, the bad and the ugly would be nice.

Running Shimano brakes with a Trickstuff adapter to fit the GX shifter without the band, I'm guessing it would work with the AXS shifter as well? No funny new standard there?
    RM Instinct C70 2019
    Canyon Grail AL 7.0 SL
    Octane One DJ
    Pelago Hanko

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    This is a good thread to look at with a lot of information from people using it:

https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...e-1096702.html

I've had it on all season and overall been very pleased. However I had it spontaneously stop shifting in the middle of my Leadville Trail 100 race a couple of weeks ago. However after about half an hour it started working again. I've let my local shop know and they are going to send the details to SRAM. It was not a low battery issue. At the exact same time my Whoop 3.0 strap stopped broadcasting to my Garmin 830. When the shifting restarted, my heart rate started reading on the Garmin again, so there was some weird electronic voodoo going on.

Jii
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks, yeah found that thread literally two minutes after posting and just read through the whole thing..

Seems to be some clearance issues for the paddle when using "non-axs" matchmaker, but looks like that's mainly a problem if you're running the brake lever clamp close to your grips. And your electronic voodoo stuff obviously popped up as well.
    RM Instinct C70 2019
    Canyon Grail AL 7.0 SL
    Octane One DJ
    Pelago Hanko

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I ran a XX1 AXS for about 500 miles...including a 6 hour race in lots of mud and standing water.
    ( Look up my posts and comments in the drive train forum)
    Never had a issue.... until I had a stick take out the expensive derailleur.
    Sold the bike a while back....
    It's nice....has it's pros and cons like every other groupo.
    In the end...I now have XTR on both main bikes to simplify things...and save a little money ( I never thought I'd say that about XTR, LOL)

mtbr member
    I own AXS Eagle and XTR 9100. One of the first things I noticed about AXS was how large and wide the derailleur is. Compared to XTR it is at least 3 times as wide. I don't have very many hours on AXS but I seriously worry that it's going to snag something and either tear off or be like clipping a pedal or both.

Both frames are the same I just have different groups and suspension.

XTR is a quieter group while running and perhaps shifting noise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    I seriously worry that it's going to snag something and either tear off or be like clipping a pedal or both.
    I've had my AXS for more than three months now and this has not been at all an issue for me.
    I ride on trails that can be narrow, some have lots of rocks to navigate through, others have many loose sticks and branches.
    In fact I haven't picked up a single stick with my AXS rd, compared to the mechanical XX1 Eagle rd I had before. The longer pulley mechanism on the mechanical rd was prone to snagging sticks.
    Knock on wood .... my AXS setup has had zero issues:
    - no glitches, starts every time, goes to sleep pretty quick to save battery (I can tell that from my Garmin), but wakes up instantly - you barely have to touch the crank and it will wake up.
    - Battery lasts exactly as stated - about 25 hours.

Really cleans up the cockpit nicely too with that one less cable. TBH that alone would make it hard for me to ever go back to a mechanical set up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    Compared to XTR it is at least 3 times as wide.
    You might need to buy a new tape measure!!!

Jii
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm used to minding my rear der on the trails, been running SRAM GX Eagle for a while and don't mind the width but would certainly appreciate the shorter cage on the axs.

Any paddle clearance problems when mounting to a "regular" matchmaker (apparently there seems to be a "new" matchmaker for the AXS that is a bit taller in order for the paddle to clear)? Since I'm running a conversion "matchmaker" with my Shimano brakes I can't go with a new one unless I go with a SRAM band (and really don't wanna do that).

I also ride in the cold (below freezing) but don't do longer rides than 3 hours if it's really cold so even though the battery life is reduced I think I'll be fine. Planning to carry a spare anyway.
    RM Instinct C70 2019
    Canyon Grail AL 7.0 SL
    Octane One DJ
    Pelago Hanko

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jii View Post
    Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm used to minding my rear der on the trails, been running SRAM GX Eagle for a while and don't mind the width but would certainly appreciate the shorter cage on the axs.

Any paddle clearance problems when mounting to a "regular" matchmaker (apparently there seems to be a "new" matchmaker for the AXS that is a bit taller in order for the paddle to clear)? Since I'm running a conversion "matchmaker" with my Shimano brakes I can't go with a new one unless I go with a SRAM band (and really don't wanna do that).

I also ride in the cold (below freezing) but don't do longer rides than 3 hours if it's really cold so even though the battery life is reduced I think I'll be fine. Planning to carry a spare anyway.
    haven't heard of a new matchmaker, I think it's the same matchmaker that come with the brake levers whatever that one is. I have no issues

mtbr member
    Perhaps I should take some photos to show but the XTR is almost fully within the chain stay area when in the middle of the block. The widest point on the XTR is the bolt that attaches to the hanger...

AXS sticks out about an inch and a half further and does not tuck in at all towards the front. Its like having a water bottle for a derailleur. Its not something I was expecting whatsoever when I purchased the bike, just making others aware, when you get the thing its not small!

Gogoggansgo
    Aug 2019
    I want to add my two cents, i just got my XX1 kit installed on my sb100 and at first i wasn’t too impressed. It felt better but wow holy shit. That is until i took it out on the trails, night and day difference. To the point i PRd on almost every uphill segment because i could keep power in the drivetrain at all times and downshift or up shift without have to pause for a split second. They did a great job, my only wish is they need to work on the shit app, and the shifter ergo is just okay. I think they could of done something way cooler with the shifter but that’s just me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    You might need to buy a new tape measure!!!
    XTR Sicks out one inch so ASX sticks out three inches..........
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    ASX sticks out two inches?

mtbr member
    Been running AXS for about three months now. I am very grateful for the overload clutch. I've knocked the derailleur a couple times and everything still works. For me it was a great upgrade and I would buy again.

Running Shimano XTR brakes with these adpaters (have the Reverb also)
    https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/i-spec-ii-adapter.html
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    9000 or 9100?

mtbr member
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I posted in the drivetrain forum too, but I had a ride cancelling failure on mine. Dead battery.
    I had 5 rides/8-9 hours.
    I want to watch it and really see show quickly it goes down, but I did NOT expect that in 5 rides.

Possible defective battery...

Dirty Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    I posted in the drivetrain forum too, but I had a ride cancelling failure on mine. Dead battery.
    I had 5 rides/8-9 hours.
    I want to watch it and really see show quickly it goes down, but I did NOT expect that in 5 rides.

Possible defective battery...
    Were you leaving the battery on the derailleur? I'd imagine that will make a difference.

To the OP, I've been running mine since late April and as I stated in the other tread I'm on the third derailleur hanger in that time. The derailleur looks like it was drug behind a car on the freeway but still works like a champ. It does stick out about halfway as far as my pedal when in 12th gear though, something to keep in mind.
    . . . . . . . .

ksj
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    ...I had it spontaneously stop shifting in the middle of my Leadville Trail 100 race a couple of weeks ago. However after about half an hour it started working again.
    Sounds like a competitors team realized they could help themselves using cheap devices to mess up your (and others) wireless shifting with some radio frequency interference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ksj View Post
    Sounds like a competitors team realized they could help themselves using cheap devices to mess up your (and others) wireless shifting with some radio frequency interference.
    Lol... I wish I was good enough for someone to want to sabotage me...

ksj
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    Lol... I wish I was good enough for someone to want to sabotage me...
    The devices are quite indiscriminate. Anyone within range would have been affected. Ever been to a restaurant and had some kid (and I'm not talking about their age here) start screwing with the TV's with their phone or some IR stuff? Same thing. Just something to think of if you're using these for racing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    Were you leaving the battery on the derailleur? I'd imagine that will make a difference.

To the OP, I've been running mine since late April and as I stated in the other tread I'm on the third derailleur hanger in that time. The derailleur looks like it was drug behind a car on the freeway but still works like a champ. It does stick out about halfway as far as my pedal when in 12th gear though, something to keep in mind.
    I never remove the batteries from my AXS road setup. They do not drain much while on the bike in the garage. Other possibilities would be cold weather or as mentioned a defective battery.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Regarding battery life....I charged mine when I got my bike a bit ago....the light on the derailleur is finally indicating red (solid not blinking) after 300mi (according to Strava) of riding. I am going to let it continue to drain before I charge it. Per Sram, a solid red indicates 5-15hrs of riding left....since I have a battery on my dropper, I'll chance it!