Durability Eagle cassettes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Durability Eagle cassettes

I have the GX cassette coupled with a X01 derailleur and am thinking whether it makes sense to get the X01 cassette when it's time to change. My guess is that I won't really notice the difference so the point would be that the X01 should last longer. Price is double.

So: what's your experience? How many miles do you get out of X01 vs GX cassettes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Not sure if more durable or not. Less weight is part of the reason for the higher price

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kbell View Post
    Not sure if more durable or not. Less weight is part of the reason for the higher price
    That's right, but weight is something I already know (X01 is aprox 100g lighter), but I'm unable to find out how durable each is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've put 2000 miles on an eagle x01 cassette, missed the window for a chain replacement, had to run it till the chain snapped, then it was full replacement.

Have run a couple of X01 11speed cassettes out to 3000 miles, multiple chains on both. Currently have an X1 pinned cassette on by smuggler, going to see how long it will last. Its a bit heavier, but half the price. Will be replacing the chains before the 0.5 wear arrives, get 3 chains and then run it till the cassette is dead, rotating the chains.

Have a new X01 eagle cassette on the enduro, will try and eek out the life as long as possible with the same chain swapping regime as above

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir HC View Post
    I've put 2000 miles on an eagle x01 cassette, missed the window for a chain replacement, had to run it till the chain snapped, then it was full replacement.

Have run a couple of X01 11speed cassettes out to 3000 miles, multiple chains on both. Currently have an X1 pinned cassette on by smuggler, going to see how long it will last. Its a bit heavier, but half the price. Will be replacing the chains before the 0.5 wear arrives, get 3 chains and then run it till the cassette is dead, rotating the chains.

Have a new X01 eagle cassette on the enduro, will try and eek out the life as long as possible with the same chain swapping regime as above
    Thanks but, what do you mean "the window for a chain replacement" and "had to run it until the chain snapped"? Why did you have to? I just change the chain when the chain reaches the 0.5 indicator.

I'm currently 5.700 miles into an Eagle GX cassette, and its fourth chain. GX chains get me around 1.400 miles and I'm using now a X01 chain to see how long it lasts. This will probably be this cassette's last chain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Chain was over 0.75 and the cassette wouldn't take a new chain. Bought the bike just as winter started, so the wear was pretty high, didn't check the chain wear soon enough.