Disappointing SRAM Warrnaty- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Disappointing SRAM Warrnaty

Recently installed a brand new SRAM Guide RS brake set on a build. After about a 3 mile ride the rear brake lever locked up solid in the fully released position, absolutely ZERO rear braking on a fast descent. Pull as hard as you want, short of snapping the lever off and the lever wasn't moving. Sketchy save and managed to limp it back with only the front brake. Proceeded to check the bleed, no issues with flow to and from the master to caliper. Pull the lever very slowly and it will begin to move but pull with any normal operation and it locks up tight.

I spoke with tech support and they confirmed some issues especially on the early '15 Guides having either a incorrect sized piston or a timing port that was not properly finished which could have a burr that could damage the seal and cause debris. I did see a couple small pieces of something passing through the hose during the bleed but just thought it was a piece of the inside of the hose but most likely not now. The burr/damaged seal would explain the lack of lever operation when pulled normal versus only moving when pulled slowly.

Well, brought it in to the only LBS based on the forceful warranty hand of SRAM. They ended up being very reluctant to replace the master, saying "oh yeah we played around with it and removed / reinstalled the hose and barb, now it seems ok....must have had some debris in it, good to go now." Weird, that's exactly what I told them from my conversation with SRAM could be a potential cause from the poorly machined transfer port. I told them, I would still feel better if they would move forward with warranty replacement of the lever/master. Ok, I suppose they say.... Now I get a call she's all ready for pickup, that will be $40??? What, I thought this was warranty, why do I pay for a warranty replacement due to detective workmanship?? Well that's how it works, SRAM doesn't pay shipping or labor. BS, had I known that I would have much rather installed it myself anyway. VERY disappointing especially considering I built the entire bike from headset bearings to wheel set on my own, my technical skills are surely superior to Jimbob mechanics in the back. I have never used a LBS for anything before because I do EVERYTHING myself, from damper rebuilds to wheel set builds. So disappointed in being forced to use a shop, due to a defective product, to be forced to pay for some shotty labor and shipping. What horrible customer service. Already considering selling my unopened Lyrik and XX1 drivetrain waiting for install on my next build. Heck even considering selling the XX1 drive trains, Pike, Bluto, and two Monarch Plus's off my other bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Sounds do like it's a lbs issue.

Formerly of Kent
    You shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING for a LBS to warranty SRAM parts.

I've had SRAM parts taken care of by shops three states away from where I bought them, free of charge.

In short, that shop sucks.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    You shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING for a LBS to warranty SRAM parts.

I've had SRAM parts taken care of by shops three states away from where I bought them, free of charge.

In short, that shop sucks.
    That's good to know.. They lost any future business from me if that's the case.

Do you know, does SRAM pay the shops labor to repair/remove/install? I can't imagine shops just doing warranty work out of the kindness of their hearts...

Formerly of Kent
    Simple solution: remove the parts in question, bring to LBS, ask them to warranty.

I should have noted before that I've never brought my whole bike in and asked for them to inspect, remove and re-install a part. I bring in parts and do the labor myself.

Short of suspension tuning, bike parts are incredibly easy to remove and install. The warranty ITSELF shouldn't cost any money; labor associated with it might. That is the shop's decision, and has nothing to do with SRAM, Shimano, or anyone other than the shop itself.

If you aren't comfortable with this, well, that's what you pay for, really. A person to remove and re-install parts.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Simple solution: remove the parts in question, bring to LBS, ask them to warranty.

I should have noted before that I've never brought my whole bike in and asked for them to inspect, remove and re-install a part. I bring in parts and do the labor myself.

Short of suspension tuning, bike parts are incredibly easy to remove and install.
    That's all fine and dandy when the part is easily removal able and the shop still able to see the defect. In this case, it would require removing the hose in which case the problem is not apparent because there's no fluid in it.. Then what? Now they say there's nothing wrong or they now charge me to mock it up and duplicate the problem.

Formerly of Kent
    Ok.

Bring the bike in. They check it over. Say "Yes" or "No" on warranty.

Then, if "Yes" you take it home, remove brakes, hand them off to LBS staff.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Ok.

Bring the bike in. They check it over. Say "Yes" or "No" on warranty.

Then, if "Yes" you take it home, remove brakes, hand them off to LBS staff.
    Hindsight is 20/20

Moderator Moderator
    FWIW My SRAM warranty was just as Le Duke described, although I contacted SRAM directly regarding the problem. They told me to go through any LBS, where I was upfront that I didn't buy the parts through them. "no problem" They said, and took care of the exchange for free and to keep from feeling too guilty, I stocked up on lube and such.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    FWIW My SRAM warranty was just as Le Duke described, although I contacted SRAM directly regarding the problem. They told me to go through any LBS, where I was upfront that I didn't buy the parts through them. "no problem" They said, and took care of the exchange for free and to keep from feeling too guilty, I stocked up on lube and such.
    Glad to hear. Yeah I contacted them directly as well. The lady couldn't say enough times "bring it to a LBS so they can look at it". I understood the first time and also why they want a LBS to be the mediator but sucks to get stuck with labor and shipping. Everyone I spoke with from SRAM to bike shop failed to mention that it would also be ok for me to do the R&R and LBS would handle part transaction.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You've posted this in a couple places now and the feedback you're getting is all the same. I'm not a SRAM apologist, but their business model is LBS-based. The issue in this case is the shop, not SRAM.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    You've posted this in a couple places now and the feedback you're getting is all the same. I'm not a SRAM apologist, but their business model is LBS-based. The issue in this case is the shop, not SRAM.
    Just getting some feedback, sorry if that's too much for you

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    As a longtime shop employee, the shop usually never pays for shipping with parts like this. With SRAM, the new part will be shipped to LBS with return label for old part. The shops I've worked at never paid out of pocket or charged customer for shipping/warranty swap. The only thing I could think is that the shop is in bad standing with SRAM (didnt pay their bills, or failed to send old parts back). The vendor, manufacturer, or supplier is not responsible for how the shops treat customers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EskimoFriend View Post
    As a longtime shop employee, the shop usually never pays for shipping with parts like this. With SRAM, the new part will be shipped to LBS with return label for old part. The shops I've worked at never paid out of pocket or charged customer for shipping/warranty swap. The only thing I could think is that the shop is in bad standing with SRAM (didnt pay their bills, or failed to send old parts back). The vendor, manufacturer, or supplier is not responsible for how the shops treat customers.
    Thank you for the insight! Interesting.

mtbr member
    I have no sympathy for anyone who still buys Avid/SRAM brakes.

For years Avid sold brakes that were temperamental and unreliable with virtually nothing in the way of acknowledging or trying to sort out the problems. So the name gets changed to SRAM and they're still not brilliant, what a surprise eh??

I once bought a bike that came with Shimano brakes which squealed. The brake pads were replaced and when they still squealed Shimano gave me a full new set of brakes. No hassle and no charge.

I will never buy Avid/SRAM brakes. Shimano have earned the superb reputation their brakes have and they deserve the sales. SRAM do not.

mtbr member
    i wont use Sram, period

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I spoke to a guy at SRAM today re defective crank (pedal insert) and he informed me that SRAM does indeed pay labor to install new part.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've sent things back for SRAM warranty several times. Only ever had to pay postage away to the national distributor.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Techspec360 View Post
    Recently installed a brand new SRAM Guide RS brake set on a build. After about a 3 mile ride the rear brake lever locked up solid in the fully released position, absolutely ZERO rear braking on a fast descent. Pull as hard as you want, short of snapping the lever off and the lever wasn't moving. Sketchy save and managed to limp it back with only the front brake. Proceeded to check the bleed, no issues with flow to and from the master to caliper. Pull the lever very slowly and it will begin to move but pull with any normal operation and it locks up tight.

I spoke with tech support and they confirmed some issues especially on the early '15 Guides having either a incorrect sized piston or a timing port that was not properly finished which could have a burr that could damage the seal and cause debris. I did see a couple small pieces of something passing through the hose during the bleed but just thought it was a piece of the inside of the hose but most likely not now. The burr/damaged seal would explain the lack of lever operation when pulled normal versus only moving when pulled slowly.

Well, brought it in to the only LBS based on the forceful warranty hand of SRAM. They ended up being very reluctant to replace the master, saying "oh yeah we played around with it and removed / reinstalled the hose and barb, now it seems ok....must have had some debris in it, good to go now." Weird, that's exactly what I told them from my conversation with SRAM could be a potential cause from the poorly machined transfer port. I told them, I would still feel better if they would move forward with warranty replacement of the lever/master. Ok, I suppose they say.... Now I get a call she's all ready for pickup, that will be $40??? What, I thought this was warranty, why do I pay for a warranty replacement due to detective workmanship?? Well that's how it works, SRAM doesn't pay shipping or labor. BS, had I known that I would have much rather installed it myself anyway. VERY disappointing especially considering I built the entire bike from headset bearings to wheel set on my own, my technical skills are surely superior to Jimbob mechanics in the back. I have never used a LBS for anything before because I do EVERYTHING myself, from damper rebuilds to wheel set builds. So disappointed in being forced to use a shop, due to a defective product, to be forced to pay for some shotty labor and shipping. What horrible customer service. Already considering selling my unopened Lyrik and XX1 drivetrain waiting for install on my next build. Heck even considering selling the XX1 drive trains, Pike, Bluto, and two Monarch Plus's off my other bikes.
    I had similar happen to me on 7/21/2016 - first "shakedown" ride on brand new Transition Scout (which I keep saying, feels really really good). On a somewhat fast, twisty but non technical descent in Boise foothills, I went to grab (feather) some rear brake and the rear brake lever completely LOCKED. No rear brake at all.
    The shop immediately took care of it the next day, he said he knew what it was - if I remember he said some type of fitting in their if not aligned properly. Said "they either work or they don't" and I should not have the problem again.

I'm sorry that you had the experience you did. What was the outcome with you now?

For me - my shop did good by me BUT - I'm not confident in the safety of these brakes. The rear lever failure was in a fairly non-heavy riding situation, but I still almost crashed (like you) - and I have NEVER experienced this before with any brake.

I want to ride and ride and ride my new bike, but now this issue and I'm going up to ride today - but am thinking to ask him to either warranty these to.......something else from SRAM? Or just bite the bullet and have this or another shop replace the Guides with a Shimano SLX brake set.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Rides shared with friends: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Techspec360 View Post
    ... Now I get a call she's all ready for pickup, that will be $40??? What, I thought this was warranty, why do I pay for a warranty replacement due to detective workmanship??
    Legally, I do not see how they can charge you for warranty work if they have not notified you of the charge beforehand. I think you would have grounds for refusing to pay.