Converting SRAM 3X10 to 2X10- Mtbr.com
    Monocog Masher

Converting SRAM 3X10 to 2X10

Bought a new bike (Superfly 100), which came with a SRAM/Shimano 3X10 setup. I had the switch out the 3X10 setup to an all X.9 2X10 setup (still using the original 3 speed front derailleur and front shifter). The rear shifts great, but it seems like I need to push the front shifter a mile to get the front derailleur to move to the large chainring, and it's not a positive engagement unless I hit it just right. Is that normal? I test rode a SRAM 2X10 bike (with X.0) before I changed this out and don't remember that being an issue.

The mechanic who built up the bike is a great mechanic, but 2X10 systems are new to him.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Merost
    Bought a new bike (Superfly 100), which came with a SRAM/Shimano 3X10 setup. I had the switch out the 3X10 setup to an all X.9 2X10 setup (still using the original 3 speed front derailleur and front shifter). The rear shifts great, but it seems like I need to push the front shifter a mile to get the front derailleur to move to the large chainring, and it's not a positive engagement unless I hit it just right. Is that normal? I test rode a SRAM 2X10 bike (with X.0) before I changed this out and don't remember that being an issue.

The mechanic who built up the bike is a great mechanic, but 2X10 systems are new to him.
    My newest bike is set up with a 22/34/bash 10 speed XO rear XT front and XO 2x10 shifters. My first build with 10 speed and it shifts like a dream. Me thinks your mechanic is not as great as you think.

The SRAM guy
    You need to swap out the 3 speed shifter and FD for a 2 speed one. You will see a world of difference. Front shift performance is one of the great features of 2x10, and without the correct 2x parts, you are missing it!
    Chris Hilton

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The 3x10 front derailleur cage and "swing action" is different to the 2x10 front derailleur.
    As you can imagine, the chainrings are quite a different size on a double to a triple, so the derailleur cage is changed to adapt to that.

I'm sure you could get a 3x10 shifter/front derailleur to work, though I would suggest for optimal shifting you would best be off with getting the correct spec front derailleur, and possibly the 2x10 front shifter too.

mtbr member
    Just curious about this thread. I currently set up my SRAM 3x10 to a 2x10 with bash guard. I noticed the same thing with my set up. I figured it just was the way it was.

Does anybody know the main difference between the FD and shifter between a 2x10 and 3x10 SRAM components. i figured they where the same thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    there is no difference between FD 2x10 and 3x10, but the shifters.... it's possible to use 3x10 convert to 2x10 shifter but it's not precise, and 2x10 shifter to 3x10 IMO don;t work

mtbr member
    I have heard the 2x10 front derailleur is shorter and narrower than a 3x10 derailleur. My goal is to pick up some new shifters on eBay when I get some money.

Right now I'm not really happy with the shifting performance. I'm hoping it gets better once I have the dedicated shifting equipment.

Erik

Monocog Masher
    I got rid of the 3x10 shifter and derailleur and installed 2x10 specific stuff. My LBS was able to locate a source that said the dimensions for the 3X10 and 2X10 stuff are different, which is why it didn't work.

The new 2x10 shifters and derailleurs work at intended and are awesome. Lesson learned!

The SRAM guy
    The 3x and 2x FD are completely different. The cage shape, travel, and body design are specific to 2x rings. Use the right one if you want your issues to go away. Likewise, use a 2x shifter for best results.
    Chris Hilton

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Can you still use a 2x10 FD if you are just running the two inner rings of a 3x10 crank?

I currently have an XX (2x10) shifter and a 3x10 SLX FD (E-Type set in low position for running 2 smaller gears) and it doesn't quite have enough range (Cranks are X0 3x10 with a 22/33/bash)

If I could just buy the XX or XO 2x10 FD that would be cool, but I thought they only worked with actual 2x10 cranks (no bash)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    Can you still use a 2x10 FD if you are just running the two inner rings of a 3x10 crank?

I currently have an XX (2x10) shifter and a 3x10 SLX FD (E-Type set in low position for running 2 smaller gears) and it doesn't quite have enough range (Cranks are X0 3x10 with a 22/33/bash)

If I could just buy the XX or XO 2x10 FD that would be cool, but I thought they only worked with actual 2x10 cranks (no bash)
    This is what would be the ideal setup. If I was you I would go out and buy a 2x10 and at this point you would have an ideal setup. You need a very specialized front derailleur somake sure your bike shop orders the correct one.

I did compare a 3x10 and 2x10 sram front derialleur and they are quite different. Especialy the cage.

Erik

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99
    This is what would be the ideal setup. If I was you I would go out and buy a 2x10 and at this point you would have an ideal setup. You need a very specialized front derailleur somake sure your bike shop orders the correct one.

I did compare a 3x10 and 2x10 sram front derialleur and they are quite different. Especialy the cage.

Erik
    Buy a 2x10 FD? Are you sure the low stop would even let it get to the right place for the 22 ring? I thought the true 2x10 FD was very specialize for a 26/39, or 28/42 2x10 crank setup. When you buy an XX FD you have to specify which gears, that's how specific it is I think, but I could be wrong. Which SRAM direct mount should I be buying if I'm switching (S3?). Why can't they just call it E-type compatible or something.

Also, eventually I would like to switch to either a 24/36/bash or 26/38/bash, depending on what the wife wants, but you can't even buy replacement rings yet in most sizes. This is why I'm usually not an early adopter. I figured they would have there ducks in a row by year 2 so hopefully they get stuff available soon.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    So after reading, if I already have a 2 speed FD on my bike, can I successfully use a 3 speed X0 shifter?. I only ask as I have a spare 3 speed shifter that I would like to use in place of my sram X9 2 speed.

thanks

Eating Hot Pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by brad72
    So after reading, if I already have a 2 speed FD on my bike, can I successfully use a 3 speed X0 shifter?. I only ask as I have a spare 3 speed shifter that I would like to use in place of my sram X9 2 speed.

thanks
    Brad, any luck with this?
    I'm in the same boat with a 2x FD and crank, but a nicer 3x XO shifter set.
    I'd love it if all i had to do was swap shifters and nothing else... seems as though the chainring spacing is the same from 2x to 3x, and both setups are 1:1 actuation or whatever..

i guess i could try it, i was just hoping to clarify first

Monocog Masher
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    Brad, any luck with this?
    I'm in the same boat with a 2x FD and crank, but a nicer 3x XO shifter set.
    I'd love it if all i had to do was swap shifters and nothing else... seems as though the chainring spacing is the same from 2x to 3x, and both setups are 1:1 actuation or whatever..

i guess i could try it, i was just hoping to clarify first
    At first I didn't know. Tried the 3 speed shifters and 3 speed derailleur with 2x10 crankset and it DIDN'T work as intended. You might be able to get it to shift, but not the way it was intended, i.e. this shifting sucks. When I changed out the shifters and FD to 2 speed, it works great, the way it is intended to work.

Eating Hot Pockets
    just as a follow up on this..
    I just swapped my original X9 2x10 shifters in favor of some XO 3x10... (I got a good price on the set, otherwise I'd have just stayed X9)
    I wanted to retain the 2 rings up front and the 3-spd shifter works 100% fine on the 2x setup (2x direct-mount front derailleur)
    the only modification i had to do was to turn in the high limit screw a little so i wouldn't overshift, trying to grab a 3rd ring that wasn't there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting SRAM 3X10 to 2X10-img_4246.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    One tidbit I learned solving my issue was that you can use a 3x10 shifter with a 2x10 FD, but for best performance you should use the middle/big shift points rather then the small/middle positions as the amount of cable pull is slightly different.

For this same reason, a 2x10 shifter should not be used when you are using the small/middle rings only of a 3x10 crank, such as when people run a bash. This setup will always have the chain rubbing on the FD cause it's not moving the FD far enough between shifts. Also, to run the bottom two chainrings you of course need a 3x10 FD or the special 24/36/bash Shimano SLX FD, not a 2x10 FD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    One tidbit I learned solving my issue was that you can use a 3x10 shifter with a 2x10 FD, but for best performance you should use the middle/big shift points rather then the small/middle positions as the amount of cable pull is slightly different.

For this same reason, a 2x10 shifter should not be used when you are using the small/middle rings only of a 3x10 crank, such as when people run a bash. This setup will always have the chain rubbing on the FD cause it's not moving the FD far enough between shifts. Also, to run the bottom two chainrings you of course need a 3x10 FD or the special 24/36/bash Shimano SLX FD, not a 2x10 FD.
    I agree, I bought the Sram 2x10 derailleur and went back to the 3x10. It just worked alot better. I have 24/36/Bash. I still think a 2x10 shifter will work better than the 3x10.

Erik

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am running an X0 3x10 crankset set up as 22-32-bash with an X0 3x10 derailleur and an X0 2x10 front shifter. All 2011 components. It seems to work fine, although it took some fine-tuning of the limit screws and cable tension so that everything shifted well and nothing rubbed.

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    Not to bring up a slightly dated thread, but I have my own question on this issue...

I am building up a Dakar XAM, and am aiming at a SRAM X7 2x10 setup (I'm on a budget, of sorts). I have almost an entire bike's worth of spare parts lying around the house, and was curious if I could run the 10-speed SRAM derailleur in the rear with my X7 10-speed shifter, but use my old Alivio crankset (was 42/32/22, I am converting it to Bash/32/22) with my original shifter as long as I don't shift into what was the big ring... I've never actually even used the big ring, to be honest. ...I also already have the shifter set.

This would be VERY temporary until I got the 2 speed X7 FD.

In essence it would be 3 speed Alivio shifter and 3 speed Alivio FD with Bash/32/22 up front, 10 speed X7 shifter and RD in the back until I get the new FD (then I could use the full X7 drivetrain). There shouldn't be a problem as long as I don't shift into the big ring, right? Could I even use the 2 speed X7 shifter with the Alivio 3 speed FD?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I belive YES ! I use X9 2 speed shifter with SLX 3 speed Dyna, everething running fine ...

mtbr member
    Hi there,

I have a problem. I currently have my bike with full sram x9 3x10s groupset, but besides i love the shifters and derailleurs, but the cassetes/chain/cranksets just have problems. The chain/cassetes wear too quickly and the crankset, in 1200km's i already have to buy 3 chainrings and the bottom bracket is ready to change, full os noises.

My doubt is that i want to change to 2x10s when i wear this cassete/chain, and i really dont know if, like i have to change everything except the rear derailleur, i remain with sram x9 or change the all groupset to shimano slx or shimano xt.

Can someone who knows the 2 groupsets give me some advice?

Best Regards,
    JM

Members who have read this thread: 1