• 07-15-2012
    BruceBrown
    Changing the rubber grip on X.0 9 Speed grip shifters...
    I've got the X.0 9 speed grip shifters which I have had for quite a few years. The rubber has been wearing, but this weekend in the heat of 95-100 degrees, they pretty much have turned to a sticky putty feeling and started disintegrating. So I guess it's time to get some new rubber. I'm also missing the plastic window housing that covers the left shifter indicator (must have fallen off in a race).

I see I can order the rubber grips, but are those plastic windows available anywhere? And does anyone know of a link to some online instructions for changing the grip shifter rubber grips? Is it pretty easy - or is it more on the tedious side of "small motor movement skills required" for the grip switch?

I don't know what the total costs will be for new rubber grips, but it might just be cheaper and easier for me to pick up the less expensive X.7 9 speed shifters as they seem to work just as well for me on another bike.

TIA
  • 07-16-2012
    G-Live
    The grips are easy enough to peal off and slide the new ones on. Contact Sram direct for the clear housing? I doubt they'd still have something. I don't think there is a difference in function between the X7 and X0 so it depends on which grip you prefer.

G
  • 07-16-2012
    BruceBrown
    Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Live View Post
    The grips are easy enough to peal off and slide the new ones on. Contact Sram direct for the clear housing? I doubt they'd still have something. I don't think there is a difference in function between the X7 and X0 so it depends on which grip you prefer.

G

Thanks, G. It looks like I could change the rubber for a little over $30. I can live without the clear housing, but a call to SRAM might yield a new plastic piece.

I was adding up the option of upgrading to 2 x 10 with the twist shifters, derailleurs and what not. Ouch - major expense to go that way which I think I will skip at present....
  • 07-16-2012
    6thElement
    I looked into the price of a new window and indicator for my rear x.0 twist, the only place I could find it at the time had it listed at $20ish I think, I passed. I don't recall the rubber being that cheap either, I know with the right deal you could pickup new shifters for only a little more.
  • 09-20-2012
    David C
    5 Attachment(s)
    New set of 3x9 X0 can be had for about $50 on eBay... And here's the instructions that came with mine regarding the rubber grip change :

Attachment 725223

Attachment 725224
    Attachment 725225
    Attachment 725226
    Attachment 725228