cage replacement on the xo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

cage replacement on the xo

I have been given an old sram xo rear derailleur, but the carbon fiber cage has been snapped. Is it possible to use a different derailleur's cage? If I have to spend the 100 dollars on a replacement cage that I know breaks easily, I might as well buy a new x9 derailleur. Just wondering if anyone has had the same issue and gotten around it.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same situation. I've snapped the lower section of the carbon plate on an X0 rear derailleur. I have some X9s lying around to use as spare parts so i had a look at them. The cage screw stop on the X0 can be removed, but on the X9 it is a tab on the cage that has been bent over. Having to unbend the tab and rebend it once in position (if it would fit) didn't seem like it was worth it so i just fixed one of the less damaged X9 derailleurs.

edit spelling
    Last edited by crank1979; 05-09-2010 at 12:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah I tried a couple different things, no luck. The x7 cage doesn't come off, and the x9 was only 60 at jenson. Went with the x9

KulAdventures
    Old thread but I am trying to do the exact same thing. I have an X0 with a broken spring and an X9 with a bad cage. Trying to put the X0 cage on the X9... anyone know if thats possible? if so how did you guys remove the cage?
    Yeti 575
    Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro
    My website/blog with project info

mtbr member
    It won't fit. The X0 and X9 outer cages are different. You can get the inner cage for under $20 on eBay. I've also seen the complete cage and spring for an X0 on eBay...but the cost makes it not worth it.

Members who have read this thread: 4