Blew its guts!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Blew its guts!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Blew its guts!

My 9 month old 2016 Rockshox Reverb Stealth 150 (B1) blew up internally within the seatpost tube at the very end of a long ride yesterday (good thing it was at the end, as the ride was over 40 miles of very remote single track). The hydraulic fluid came out of the hose line at the attachment point, the hose itself, or the seatpost itself. I didn't pull the seatpost to see what exactly happened as it is under warranty. Aside from the bummer of post blowing up, the fluid got all over the bottom bracket bearings and the seatpost tube suspension linkage bearings. I am pretty sure they will all be toast after the exposure to the fluid.

My question is, as the bike (2016 Trek Fuel EX 9.9) is also 9 months old, should the LBS and/or Sram also cover the costs of replacing the BB and the suspension bearings that will most likely need replacing?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I don't see why the post's oil would cause bearing failure. Ive had my KS post blowup as you described, the majority of the oil drained out the bb weep hole. All is well months later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    I don't see why the post's oil would cause bearing failure. Ive had my KS post blowup as you described, the majority of the oil drained out the bb weep hole. All is well months later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was mistakenly under the impression that the hydraulic fluid was something caustic. Its not! No damage to the bearings.

On the other hand, BTI is going to rebuild it. Sram said will not give it a warranty assessment without it being taken apart by a qualified service center to find out if it is just the seals or if something failed catastrophically. Interesting way for them to handle it. It leaves it open to interpretation by Sram as they are not the ones doing the work. BTI said in the worst case it will cost $130 to rebuild it. Lucky for me BTI is located where I live!