AXS App - 9 months in and still confused- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

AXS App - 9 months in and still confused

Ok, so perhaps I'm just missing something, but I've been using the AXS app for my AXS MTB and road bike components since last summer . . . and I'm still confused.

For the most part, the only thing I care about is the percentage battery life, but that app seems to make this information nearly impossible to acquire.

First of all, the only indication of battery life is a little 4 bar icon with very little resolution. Is that really all there is? Second, you have to connect to all components individually in order to check the battery on each one. What a pain!

I guess there are supposed to be push notifications when the battery is low? But this happens through the AXS website? I don't understand why these messages can't just live within the app environment. I'm not even certain why there's a website. Maybe they're trying to create something like Strava? And, even then, I don't actually get push notifications on my phone when the battery is critical. I have to log into this website and check out my gear.

Why does SRAM make it such a headache to check battery status? Am I missing something? With my Di2 system, it was dead simple and there was perfect Garmin integration. With AXS, it seems like they want you to spend an hour on your phone just to get the remaining battery life. Am I missing something? Perhaps they should create a customer call center in Bangladesh where you can wait on hold for 45 minutes to get your battery life.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
    Ok, so perhaps I'm just missing something, but I've been using the AXS app for my AXS MTB and road bike components since last summer . . . and I'm still confused.

For the most part, the only thing I care about is the percentage battery life, but that app seems to make this information nearly impossible to acquire.

First of all, the only indication of battery life is a little 4 bar icon with very little resolution. Is that really all there is? Second, you have to connect to all components individually in order to check the battery on each one. What a pain!

I guess there are supposed to be push notifications when the battery is low? But this happens through the AXS website? I don't understand why these messages can't just live within the app environment. I'm not even certain why there's a website. Maybe they're trying to create something like Strava? And, even then, I don't actually get push notifications on my phone when the battery is critical. I have to log into this website and check out my gear.

Why does SRAM make it such a headache to check battery status? Am I missing something? With my Di2 system, it was dead simple and there was perfect Garmin integration. With AXS, it seems like they want you to spend an hour on your phone just to get the remaining battery life. Am I missing something? Perhaps they should create a customer call center in Bangladesh where you can wait on hold for 45 minutes to get your battery life.
    You dont need the app for anything, really.

From sram:
    Checking battery life is easy: press the button on the post. Green light means it’s at or close to full charge. Red light means it’s at or close to half charge. And flashing red means charge it up. The battery will last 40-60 hours of riding time, but can vary by use. To prolong battery life, the system goes to power save mode when the bike is stationary.

Each component will have a different battery life experience, but the green, red, flashing red mean the same thing across the range.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I get notifications on my phone asking me to charge the battery. That's when I usually charge it, last time was a couple of days ago and it was saying I had 2 - 6 hours left.

I agree with the app / website thing. The app seems to be just a limited interface to configure you controllers but other than that it sends you to the website.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If you own a GPS, you can display the battery life on screen, along with your current gear.

Sorry if you don't.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by evildos View Post
    If you own a GPS, you can display the battery life on screen, along with your current gear.

Sorry if you don't.
    Can you tell me how you do this? I see an option for “gear battery” in my Edge 530 but when I try to use it, it displays a question mark. Also, which battery does it refer to? There are multiple.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Last edited by emejay; 03-27-2020 at 10:26 PM.