Anyone Ever Snapped A PG990?- Mtbr.com
    sixsixtysix

Anyone Ever Snapped A PG990?

This is a new one to me. Was pedaling up some techy stuff on Saturday and my chain dropped for no reason. Stopped to take a look and found a chunk missing from the 34T of my PG990 cassette.

Cassette is less than 6 months old with no visible signs of wear on the teeth themselves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone Ever Snapped A PG990?-snapped_990.jpg  

Sweeper
    That would be a first for my eyes. Interested to know if others have done the same or heard of such a break.

Former Bike Wrench
    Heard of bent...but not broken PG990's...I'd be checking with the place of purchase for a warranty (SRAM doesn't work consumer direct).

sixsixtysix
    Its getting warrantied, but I am just confused how it even happened. I have been running 990's on all my rigs since they were introduced and haven't ever had an issue with any of them.

Just thought it was a little odd so I thought I would share, not something you see everyday

mtbr member
    Never seen this be fore and as you said, you've riden them since they were released without issues, so this is prob just a genuine dud. Unless it's from a new batch and they maybe changed something in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

What It Be ?
    I bent the last one I had no issues with the one I'm running now.

shut up legs
    Mar 2010
    I know a group of us had trouble with 991 chains about 3 years ago....maybe they had a bad run of cassettes now too?

Sram is usually very good about warranty issues, I would contact your LBS.

I Am Specialized
    Wow! I think you need to stop training so hard - serious power output there!
    2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp | 2009 Specialized Roubaix Comp | 2008 Specialized Langster New York

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

I have broken a PG990

About 2 years ago I was climbing a fairly steep trail and a chunk of my cassette broke. I bought it through Performancebike.com and they replaced it no questions asked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    had a customer with a broken one about a month ago also...it was worn though, so that could have been the problem

Members who have read this thread: 0