Any reason not to go noir?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Any reason not to go noir?

I am an all mountain rider that needs to replace my crankset. I am doing a full X.0 upgrade, as well as hope M4 brakes. I am planning on going with the Noir crankset, partly for weight and part for bling. I am a 205 lb rider that abuses his bike. I have read great things about the noir, but is it going to withstand a fair amount of beating. i have to xc race on this bike too, so weight is a small concern.

second, have any of you used the hope adapters for the bb? i would like to go with a different bb instead of the gxp. Or is the gxp better?

Doesnt ride Banshees
    The difference in weight between the Stylo OCT 3:3 and Noir 3:3 is 45 grams, and the difference in price is $100 at most online retailers. I hope you're aware of this before assuming carbon = lighter, because it's not true to the extent you might think in this case. I trust carbon entirely, but based purely on a price:benefit ratio, I would pass on the Noir's and use the money elsewhere.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    The difference in weight between the Stylo OCT 3:3 and Noir 3:3 is 45 grams, and the difference in price is $100 at most online retailers. I hope you're aware of this before assuming carbon = lighter, because it's not true to the extent you might think in this case. I trust carbon entirely, but based purely on a price:benefit ratio, I would pass on the Noir's and use the money elsewhere.

Wow, I didn't realize the weights were that close. I may have to consider the stylo again, I just wish it came color matched to the x0 group. Lame I know, but I can't help it.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    If you have the disposable funds and want the matching group, then buy it. I just thought it might be help to know the actual weight difference incase funds were an issue. I personally would rather put the money towards a new/second set of tires, but I've certainly made irrational purchases based on 'want' alone in the past. Do what you want!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i got my noirs from here http://thebikesmiths.com

makes the price difference a little bit more bearable if you're set on the noirs

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    1. the're not available in 180mm, if that's important to you.
    2. Imho, XTR's just look better...
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dctoast
    i got my noirs from here http://thebikesmiths.com

makes the price difference a little bit more bearable if you're set on the noirs
    yeah, they seem to be the cheapest. they have them on ebay for 265 plus shipping, and i can get the stylo for 210 shipped. no bb with the noir, so there is another 30+.

i still haven't made up my mind, but i need to get moving. i have already got new shifters, deraileurs, cassette, and chain coming (all in the orange x.0).

its all going on a c'dale prophet that has been pc'd a green apple color with flake. the bike has orange cb acid pedals and green king rear hub. i am going to go with a green project 321 front hub soon.

orange pedals, orange x.0 group, green bike, green hubs and nipples on black flows. should i go green or orange noir?

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by driftertom
    I am an all mountain rider that needs to replace my crankset. I am doing a full X.0 upgrade, as well as hope M4 brakes. I am planning on going with the Noir crankset, partly for weight and part for bling. I am a 205 lb rider that abuses his bike. I have read great things about the noir, but is it going to withstand a fair amount of beating. i have to xc race on this bike too, so weight is a small concern.

second, have any of you used the hope adapters for the bb? i would like to go with a different bb instead of the gxp. Or is the gxp better?
    The NOIR's are great cranks. They hold up fine and the newer versions have been lightened up even more.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Stylo is nice.

Wow, I didn't realize the weights were that close. I may have to consider the stylo again, I just wish it came color matched to the x0 group. Lame I know, but I can't help it.
    I have (currently) three sets of Stylo. Get prev years' model. It'll be the same for all intents and purposes but you save even more. Spend it on other weight savings if you like.

GXP is good and super-easy to work on.

You won't crack a stylo arm (although you can bend them). As an AM rider myself, I would not want carbon cranks. I like to reduce my chances of having to walk 20km in bear country at dusk!

Stylo is a little light duty for AM riding, but if you are under 180lbs and not hitting drops all the time on a HT you will be fine. If you bend one, you can bend it back enough to get home.

I use Stylo w both SRAM and Shimano drivetrains. No probs.
    Hope this helps.
    The STylo triple (3.3) is actually lighter than the 'AM' double w bash (2.2).
    So just go with the triple and use your big ring as a bash!

NB, if you look around, you can get STylo for $120. That's means the 45g saved w Noir cost you >$2/g. That is SHYTE! I shave grams for $50c/gram at most - except on critical stuff. And I won't pay >$2/gram AND sacrifice longevity/reliability. Just my 1/50th.

mtbr member

second, have any of you used the hope adapters for the bb?
    Anyone got an answer for this?

Members who have read this thread: 0